Mezzer or zeb

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Well the little voice in my head won. Ordered the shockcraft pick n mix kit (plus seals etc) for my mezzer. Hopefully fixes my rebound complaints.

I see @kten and @komdotkom seem to have gone down that path as well. So hit me up with tips if you have any.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
@Wake Jake is the NSR tune on the Mezzer using Dougal's bits and calculator ordered via them, or do they have their own thing going on?

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Well the little voice in my head won. Ordered the shockcraft pick n mix kit (plus seals etc) for my mezzer. Hopefully fixes my rebound complaints.

I see @kten and @komdotkom seem to have gone down that path as well. So hit me up with tips if you have any.
This will sort the rebound completely.

@Tubbsy NSR use their own piston and tuning protocols.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
@Tubbsy NSR use their own piston and tuning protocols.
Any opinion on either option?

Mine's due a service and I'd like to drop it to 140 to put on the Paradox. I've heard tuning gets trickier the less travel you run.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I only got my kit from Dougal last week, postage was glacial as always.
I'll put it in when I do a service on the lowers.
Junior fixed his stanchion rash with nail polish over the weekend and went riding yesterday, reports are that it's ok.
FWIW, my vote is for Mezzer or Ohlins 38.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Any opinion on either option?

Mine's due a service and I'd like to drop it to 140 to put on the Paradox. I've heard tuning gets trickier the less travel you run.
Both are great options. Don’t think you could go wrong with either option although the shipping to Nige at NSR is quicker.

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bumping this one:
Does anyone have any experience with the Mezzer Expert 29? Especially how it compares with Fox 36 Performance Series?
The adjustable travel seems it might be nice rather than owning multiple air shafts

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
The Grip damper in the Fox 36 performance is very good, but you run the risk of the dreaded Fox CSU creak. Mezzer has the better chassis but the expert model's damper is not as good as the Grip.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Does the kit give you his stack arrangements? Going lighter requires no shims
Just received my mezzer kit yesterday.
You get a new rebound piston, plus a couple of compression and rebound shims. There is also a printed sheet with three stack options (each side). The middle stack is the ‘recommended’ one based on the data you provide to Shockcraft. But you can go one stack either side on comp or reb if you want to change the feel. Stacks don’t have the shim sizes printed but should be easy to measure the actual shims with some verniers. Could just make changes to the stock stacks yourself if you know what you’re doing, but reportedly the piston is a good change.
As an aside, i have never pulled the damper apart before. So I had no idea how tiny the rebound piston is!

jrewing

Eats Squid
Just received my mezzer kit yesterday.
You get a new rebound piston, plus a couple of compression and rebound shims. There is also a printed sheet with three stack options (each side). The middle stack is the ‘recommended’ one based on the data you provide to Shockcraft. But you can go one stack either side on comp or reb if you want to change the feel. Stacks don’t have the shim sizes printed but should be easy to measure the actual shims with some verniers. Could just make changes to the stock stacks yourself if you know what you’re doing, but reportedly the piston is a good change.
As an aside, i have never pulled the damper apart before. So I had no idea how tiny the rebound piston is!
I might order one then. Didn’t realise it was a new piston.
do you have pictures of both pistons?

BKMad

Likes Dirt
This looks like as good a spot to post this as any.

I'm looking at getting a new enduro fork for my commencal clash. Tossing up between DVO Onyx sc and the Mezzer Pro. Both similar price on special. I have a Mattoc on another bike that I like but I do find it on the firm supportive side which is great for holding it higher in the travel and fine for that bike and the rear has a similar feel, but I find it tiring to ride after a few hours.
Currently the clash has an old marzocchi 350 NCR which is fantastic, but is a bit short on travel and the coating on the stantions is wearing off so its reaching the end of its life. I really like the feel of it and its noticeably less tiring than the mattoc. It uses more of its travel more of the time at the expense of being a little more divey. I cant seem to set the mattoc up to feel similar. Being designed by ex marzocchi engineers, I'm thinking that the onyx will feel more like the marzocchi than the mezzer will.

Is the mezzer similar in feel to the mattoc?
Anyone ridden both an onyx and mezzer and can compare?

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again

I'm looking at getting a new enduro fork for my commencal clash. Tossing up between DVO Onyx sc and the Mezzer Pro. Both similar price on special. I have a Mattoc on another bike that I like but I do find it on the firm supportive side which is great for holding it higher in the travel and fine for that bike and the rear has a similar feel, but I find it tiring to ride after a few hours.
Currently the clash has an old marzocchi 350 NCR which is fantastic, but is a bit short on travel and the coating on the stantions is wearing off so its reaching the end of its life. I really like the feel of it and its noticeably less tiring than the mattoc. It uses more of its travel more of the time at the expense of being a little more divey. I cant seem to set the mattoc up to feel similar. Being designed by ex marzocchi engineers, I'm thinking that the onyx will feel more like the marzocchi than the mezzer will.

I know this is probably not what your after but have you considered Suntour Durolux. It's a very good fork. https://www.rotorburn.com/forums/index.php?threads/new-durolux-36-fork.321618/

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
ossing up between DVO Onyx sc and the Mezzer Pro. Both similar price on special
Assuming the sale price you're talking about for the Mezzer is the Pro at Dirtworks for $811? Which is frankly absurdly good value.

No experience on the Onyx, but a big fan of the Mezzer.

BKMad

Likes Dirt
Assuming the sale price you're talking about for the Mezzer is the Pro at Dirtworks for $811? Which is frankly absurdly good value.

No experience on the Onyx, but a big fan of the Mezzer.
Yes, thats the one I'm looking at. Have you tried a mattoc? If so is the mezzer just like a bigger mattoc or something better again?

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes

I've got both.

Chassis feel is similar between the two forks, but the damping is definitely firmer in the Mezzer. The air spring on the Mezzer is also more aimed at racers smashing through stuff as opposed to the Onyx which is more buttery and optimised for small bump compliance.

So if you're looking for a comfy couch of a fork, the Onyx is for you.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk