Mid cage derailleur on 27spd system.

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Will a mid-cage give me enough range of motion on a 9 spd cassette with triple front?

herzog

Likes Dirt
Will a mid-cage give me enough range of motion on a 9 spd cassette with triple front?
Depends on the spread of ratios.

If you're running say 24-42 F and 11-32 Rear on a hardtail you could get away with it.

On the other hand, 22-44 F and 11-34 Rear on a dually, definitely go for the long cage.

gixer7

Likes Dirt
Full spread of gears with 11-32 rear and 22-44 up front is definitely possible with a mid cage XTR shadow. SRAM X0 or standard XTR I am not sure about.

You can even get into the 44T at the front and the 32T at the rear. Although I would not recommend riding like that of course.

If I ran Shimano again on a standard 3x9 setup I would use a mid cage again instead of long cage.

Oracle

Likes Dirt
I run Sram X9 mid cage rear derailleurs on both my bikes for the sole purpuse of having a touch more ground clearance to the lower jockey wheel. Both bikes have standard shimano tripple chainrings on the front, however the hardtail has 12-28t cassette and the dually 11-32t cassette on the rear.

On the hardtail I have full range of gear combinations, and the dually all but the biggest chainring and 32t cassette combo - but why would you want to run this combo anyway? :confused: