mid travel 29er suggestions

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Do you reckon a sub 13kg Ripley AF is possible?
asking for a friend
They advertise it as 13.05kg compete, presume that is a small or medium frame. So could definetly get it around 13kg or less. Such a good value trail bike, for the same price as most carbon frames you get a whole bike! They are going to sell lots of these.

Last edited:

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
just for interests sake . Nuke Proof Reactor must be back in stock as Chainreaction is emailing in
...increasingly strident fashion . " last chance , don't miss out , back in stock , limited stock "

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They advertise it as 13.05kg compete, presume that is a small or medium frame. So could definetly get it around 13kg or less. Such a good value trail bike, for the same price as most carbon frames you get a whole bike! They are going to sell lots of these.
They seem like a pretty good option, I wonder if we'll even get stock here.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
@dirtdad you could probably add a Kona process 153 to the list. I think a few people here on RB have one or have ridden one.
I think the 134 is more in the mid-travel range, but the 153 can be an ok trail bike. I suspect the newer ones with updated suspension design are more pedal friendly than the 153 I had - it was great fun but wasn't an allrounder. Probably 29ers are a different beast again.

Kona is just not good value for the spec you get. Not sure if you can get a frame only deal, the 134 could be a great bike.

Norco Optic come as frames only, that could be a good option too, bit shorter travel but looks pretty versatile.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think the 134 is more in the mid-travel range, but the 153 can be an ok trail bike. I suspect the newer ones with updated suspension design are more pedal friendly than the 153 I had - it was great fun but wasn't an allrounder. Probably 29ers are a different beast again.

Kona is just not good value for the spec you get. Not sure if you can get a frame only deal, the 134 could be a great bike.

Norco Optic come as frames only, that could be a good option too, bit shorter travel but looks pretty versatile.
The new suspension design is miles better for pedaling, still think a 153/160mm bike is too much for 'mid-travel'.
Will also second the horrible value for money they now present.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm thinking about selling my 2020 Optic, it's pretty good but I've got the new bike itch. Will sell as a frameset

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So going to hijack the thread a bit. Feeling a bit spendy and have been looking for a cheap trail bike to compliment the Waltly. Had a look at Jenson after @Minlak linked the Troy. Wondering what people's thoughts at on the Devinci Troy $2990 delivered and the Marin Rift zone 2 $2290 delivered. Components don't bother me to much since I'll change most of them so really interested in the frame, suspension design mostly.

Probably a bit too late, but the Devinci and it's split pivot is an excellent pedalling platform. I run the Django fully open for everything and love it.
The Troy IMO would be an excellent bike for most local trails.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea

Now with Photos!!

Last edited:

creaky

XMAS Plumper
It’s in the trading section here too