mid travel 29er suggestions

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
searches internet Oooooh $3600 for a frame and DPX2 Performance Elite is pretty good going currently.
Yeah so my problem is I really don't need a new frame but I really want a RAAW Jibb. However, it's literally identical geometry to the Prime for about $1.5k more once you get it here and pay duties etc. So then it's like hmmm do I want a Prime? Then I'm like actually that's basically no different to what I'm riding anyway... Maybe I want a Ripley AF? Evil Following?

If only I knew how to be happy with what I've got.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Yeah so my problem is I really don't need a new frame but I really want a RAAW Jibb. However, it's literally identical geometry to the Prime for about $1.5k more once you get it here and pay duties etc. So then it's like hmmm do I want a Prime? Then I'm like actually that's basically no different to what I'm riding anyway... Maybe I want a Ripley AF? Evil Following?

If only I knew how to be happy with what I've got.
Hush with that talk around here, NEW BIKE TIME!!

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Hush with that talk around here, NEW BIKE TIME!!
Yeah wtf do you think I'm doing in this thread!? :p I may or may not have emailed Rowney to find out if there are any Ripley AF frames available instead of completes. The 190x45 shock worries me a bit though, I want it to be a party bike with a 140mm Pike up front but feel it might struggle.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Yeah wtf do you think I'm doing in this thread!? :p I may or may not have emailed Rowney to find out if there are any Ripley AF frames available instead of completes. The 190x45 shock worries me a bit though, I want it to be a party bike with a 140mm Pike up front but feel it might struggle.
Phantom.........

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Interestingly they're the same weight as the Prime so may as well just go that route anyway. Wonder if the Phantom has enough clearance to up the shock stroke from 50 to 55mm.
Want a short travel 4X bike for the trails or a mid travel huckers trail bike?

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Want a short travel 4X bike for the trails or a mid travel huckers trail bike?
You can?
Kick the RB trend, buy a trance X.
Honestly, I think my ideal bike is something like the Following, or like my old 5010 but with 29" wheels. Most of my riding is trail stuff, often with mates who are roadies at heart on 120mm trail bikes, with the occasional enduro race where I'm vying for placings in a category that doesn't matter. I put the air shock back in my Instinct before going to Tassie and was like "woah this is poppy" which is very much what I like.

Trance X is definitely a vibe but I'm more in the spot where I'd be looking at a frame and fork and just swapping everything else across from the Rocky. Process 134 is another that caught my eye as a complete but they're mad $$ for what they are.

In an ideal world I'd have 120mm XC bike and a 160mm enduro blaster but that's not going to happen any time soon.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My brother has a Trance X, I'd suggest it could be right in line with what you are after.
I would say it's very much on the trail end of the spectrum, where the Process 134 is a bit more capable in the rough and has that pedigree.

I didn't particularly like the Trance on the times I've ridden it, because I was expecting more according to the trail numbers.
Having realised they were not trying to make a plow machine, it's probably a very decent trail bike.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
You’ve already splashed out on a dreadnought whats another couple of grand to build a paradox?
In for a penny and all that
The best part is I'll have almost all the parts for it too, just need a fork and some 2.8 650b tyres. For the fork I'd like to get a Pik- no SHUT UP.

(This is the ulterior motive for rejuvenating the single speed that's been sitting in a box for several years - scratch the hardtail itch for many less monies).
Yeah so my problem is I really don't need a new frame but I really want a RAAW Jibb. However, it's literally identical geometry to the Prime for about $1.5k more once you get it here and pay duties etc.
Doesn't the Jibb come with an X2 though?

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Doesn't the Jibb come with an X2 though?
Options are DPX2, X2, DHX2 or Formula Mod at varying prices. But I think I have scratched the Jibb from my list. Despite being the most aesthetically pleasing, I can't get excited about spending that much money when, on closer reading, it also weighs as much without shock as a Prime with shock.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Oh yeah, RAAWs are built tanky. There's a Madonna with all the pimp lightweight unobtainium parts on it on the NSMB forums that's still clocking in at 16.5kg or something.

Tanky.

What about a Tallboy? Expensive yes, but by all accounts they're very very good. Much more capable than the on paper 120mm of travel suggests.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
What about a Tallboy? Expensive yes, but by all accounts they're very very good. Much more capable than the on paper 120mm of travel suggests.
Instinctively yes, absolutely. But crazy $$$ and I'm leaning heavily towards aluminium. I'm more and more into the idea of a Ripley AF tbh. 140mm Pike, rest of the build kit from my Rocky (EXC1200 wheels, OneUp cockpit, Transfer, shitty GX groupset that I'm trying to kill). Will go visit Summit on the weekend and see what I can find out about availability of a frame given they've only officially released completes.

As with everything bike related I do this is total impulse nonsense so we can leave the Tallboy on the list for when we're having this conversation again next year.

Minlak

custom titis
Instinctively yes, absolutely. But crazy $$$ and I'm leaning heavily towards aluminium. I'm more and more into the idea of a Ripley AF tbh. 140mm Pike, rest of the build kit from my Rocky (EXC1200 wheels, OneUp cockpit, Transfer, shitty GX groupset that I'm trying to kill). Will go visit Summit on the weekend and see what I can find out about availability of a frame given they've only officially released completes.

As with everything bike related I do this is total impulse nonsense so we can leave the Tallboy on the list for when we're having this conversation again next year.
What size bike do you ride?

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Be careful. Summit is a dangerous place...

Good luck trying to kill your GX groupset. I've been trying to do the same with an 11 speed one and have come to the conclusion it actually enjoys being brutalised. I'm pretty sure the derailleur is 50% sand. Still fine.