mid travel 29er suggestions

mittagongben

Likes Dirt
I saw that pop up today. I’ve found a few reviews on the Titan but not much on the Prime. Don’t know why Banshee don’t donate bikes to magazines or larger websites for review.
Banshee leave it to the dealers to organize reviews for bikes, I'd say the current dealers don't see the value in it. The review i had done on the spitfire was good, but it was hard to see if it actually got me any more sales as their wasn't a noticeable increase in sales.

T-Rex

Template denier
Looking to purchase a new (or newish) mid travel 29er this year. Probably in a few months' time.

Currently thinking of options along the lines of:
  • Specialized Stumpy EVO
  • Ripmo AF
  • Banshee titan
  • Commencal meta (am or tr?)
  • YT Jeffsy
  • Canyon Spectral
Other thoughts:
  • Privateer frames?
  • Nukeproof reactor or mega?
  • Revel, Transition, Pivot etc. (But not sure on $$)

Obvs stock is an issue in post-covid world. But how does one go about arranging to test drive these things (assuming a local distributor)? Is it even still possible these days to get test rides?

What are people's thoughts on warranty and support of big brands vs the smaller ones listed above?
What size are you after? Junior is selling his ‘20 Meta AM in about 3 weeks when the next shipment of ‘21 Commencals arrives. If you want new I believe there is still bikes available in that shipment.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Thanks for the heads up. I'm probably a large based on sizing. But not sure I want to go all in on the commencal (or any new 29er) yet.
I got confirmation that my current cracked frame should be warrantied. So waiting on that first.

Also been considering just a frameset of the Meta TR. Because I don't love any of the builds. Most parts are easy to source still. But biggest problem seems to be finding shimano 12sp groups for sale!

T-Rex

Template denier
Thanks for the heads up. I'm probably a large based on sizing. But not sure I want to go all in on the commencal (or any new 29er) yet.
I got confirmation that my current cracked frame should be warrantied. So waiting on that first.

Also been considering just a frameset of the Meta TR. Because I don't love any of the builds. Most parts are easy to source still. But biggest problem seems to be finding shimano 12sp groups for sale!
I have a '20 Meta TR Signature, absolutely stoked with it. I did get some work done on the shock, but apart from that it's original spec. For me going from 27.5 to 29 was a massive improvement, eg 15 seconds faster down the Flow trail at Thredbo.

And getting Shimano stuff does seem to be a bit of a struggle ATM, not forecast to get better any time soon either.

dirtdad

Been doing a lot of reading. And seriously thinking about the Druid as an option. It's a $$ option for sure, and hard to spend that sort of money without knowing how they ride. But they just look so damn sexy!

Anyone with the highlander or a druid have comments on negatives or riding style differences compared to more regular linkage designs?

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Been doing a lot of reading. And seriously thinking about the Druid as an option. It's a $$ option for sure, and hard to spend that sort of money without knowing how they ride. But they just look so damn sexy!

Anyone with the highlander or a druid have comments on negatives or riding style differences compared to more regular linkage designs?
I'd be keen to hear that feedback too, I'm toying with the idea of the Highlander.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy

If I ever have the finances then a Druid is at the top of my list for my next bike. If you haven’t already good info on MTBR thread from owners of a Druid;

https://www.mtbr.com/threads/forbidden-bike-co-druid.1100788/

From reviews I have read it is a very planted feel due to the rearward axle path. @Tubbsy and @atty both have a Highlander so might chime in with some real world feedback.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I want a Druid. If they decide to make one in alloy.

Kinematics look like the best alrounder "heavy duty" trail bike I've seen.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I personally think both HPP bikes look exceptional.
Minor elements of difference with them.

Having been on the fence for LT Forbidden or 150mm Deviate so long I've now got carbon splinters...

Last edited:

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
I want a Druid. If they decide to make one in alloy.

Kinematics look like the best alrounder "heavy duty" trail bike I've seen.
Yup. Hard agree. Looks awesome hardest part is which colour? No longer do an all black frame. So it’s either silver/blue or browny/grey/green or go all out and get purple!

I personally think both HPP bikes look exceptional.
Minor elements of difference with then.

Having been on the fence for LT Forbidden or 150mm Deviate so long I've now got carbon splinters...
From the thread on MTBR the new Forbidden dreadnought or whatever it will be called will be a heavy hitter enduro/park bike.

dirtdad

Deviate's 'lifetime' warranty and damage replacement policies do fill me with more confidence than the 5 year Forbidden warranty.

An alloy model would be sweet for sure. But if I went the druid. All out purple would be no. 1 option. Lol

Kind of on the fence between a (in my mind) more burly alloy trail bike (banshee, ibis, Commencal) and a more pricey carbon wunderbike (druid, highlander, sb130).

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
From the thread on MTBR the new Forbidden dreadnought or whatever it will be called will be a heavy hitter enduro/park bike.
Definitely a concern as that's not the riding I do. Some is pretty chunky, but I have a "got to go to work on Monday" philosophy.

And with my 160mm / 135mm Prime being pretty amazing already, I do wonder what more I'll get from the Highlander at 160mm / 150mm.

I do hear that rear suspension is next level business...

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Early days yet as I've had another bike in for review and haven't spent much time on the Highlander yet - but the biggest thing I've noticed so far is how the bike maintains speed is uncanny - uphills are ok, I'll be interested to see if the idler loosens up over time - but undulating and downhills it gains and maintains momentum like crazy. In XL it feels a big, long bike and definitely more in the demolishing the trail vein than popping and dodging around things.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Definitely a concern as that's not the riding I do. Some is pretty chunky, but I have a "got to go to work on Monday" philosophy.

And with my 160mm / 135mm Prime being pretty amazing already, I do wonder what more I'll get from the Highlander at 160mm / 150mm.

I do hear that rear suspension is next level business...
With very little knowledge of your regular terrain or riding style, it seems like the difference wouldn't be that much.
Our trails tend to be flatter and shorter than European or American trail networks

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
With very little knowledge of your regular terrain or riding style, it seems like the difference wouldn't be that much.
Our trails tend to be flatter and shorter than European or American trail networks
That's a concern, it might just be a slightly more flash / lighter version of what I'm experiencing with my Prime. It'd be great to try it, and hearing climbing is "OK" doesn't fill me with enthusiasm.

I'm after the unicorn I know; great at climbing and awesome in descending. The Prime is there, just a little hefty, not that I'm upset with it.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
That's a concern, it might just be a slightly more flash / lighter version of what I'm experiencing with my Prime. It'd be great to try it, and hearing climbing is "OK" doesn't fill me with enthusiasm.
When I say OK, it's not a pig by any means, it's light for what it is, and actually turns pretty well in tighter switchbacks because of a nicely centred body position.

I came off an Ibis Ripley, which was a quicker climber obviously. DW link just really snaps up climbs, and this probably isn't really a fair comparison. A Ripmo would be a good all-round choice if climbing was just as important as descending

I don't think there'll be any issues with a longer day in the saddle though. Anyway, I'll update my thread in a bit when I've had more time on it.

Last edited:

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ah, that makes more sense. The Ripley and Ripmo are exceptional climbers.

It'd be an easier decision if they made longer rear ends on their bikes for tall riders. Goodness I'm fussy!

atty

Has excellent taste.
The highlander is a great bike, and gives the potential to run two bikes in one. You could run a 150 front 140 rear or 170 front 150 rear for an aggressive enduro. change in rear travel will require a linkage swap which go for around $200.

Like what Tubbsy said, super fast on the down, not as fast on the ups, but the rearward axel pays on climbs in the sense that hangups are reduced. The idler deff adds friction to the system - key is to always grease the chain and drop the derailleur clutch on the long climbs.

If you like playful bikes then deff size down, the wheelbase lengths by 25mm at full travel and 8-13mm at sag.

atty

Has excellent taste.
Ah, that makes more sense. The Ripley and Ripmo are exceptional climbers.

It'd be an easier decision if they made longer rear ends on their bikes for tall riders. Goodness I'm fussy!
At 188.5cm tall, I don't think I would want the rear to be any longer. 443mm and 551-456mm at sag. Do note that conventional chainstays reduce at sag.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
The idler deff adds friction to the system
Some people have reported the idler as tight ? Doesn't even spin.
Surely there is some mod that could be done to loosen the idler up. Different bearings, seals or preaload that doesn't need to keep wet sloppy Scottish mud out.

I have ordered mine with the invisiframe and a spare hanger, might grab a spare idler to have a mess around with.