mid travel 29er suggestions

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Some people have reported the idler as tight ? Doesn't even spin.
Spinning it with your finger it feels surprisingly tight, but pedalling the bike I don't really notice it. Planning to take it out on a longer XC type ride and see if times drop/tiredness creeps in. Certainly hasn't been an issue on my most common 1.5hr/20km/380vm ride, I don't think it's made any difference. Time will tell I guess.

I do wonder why it can't be a freely spinning thing though. I wonder if it needs to be jammed in super tight to avoid problems with the side loads it needs to take. It may be that the little cage that holds it on can't accommodate a bigger bearing.

I'd be interested to know how the Druid's idler spins.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I actually just got an email back from Ben this morning, I asked him to add the invisiframe and a hanger yesterday... and snuck in a sneaky "is all still good for mid Feb'. Which it is.
Haven't bothered him since the 3/12 when I cancelled the X2 and bought the DVO stuff.

I'll add an experimental idler to the order, surely it can be freed up a bit, some Chi ceramic bearings in there with dodgy seals and it will be whizzing around... (inserted @Cardy George appropriate speed gif)

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I'll add an experimental idler to the order, surely it can be freed up a bit, some Chi ceramic bearings in there with dodgy seals and it will be whizzing around...
I'd be interested to hear how that goes.

atty

Has excellent taste.
Some people have reported the idler as tight ? Doesn't even spin.
Surely there is some mod that could be done to loosen the idler up. Different bearings, seals or preaload that doesn't need to keep wet sloppy Scottish mud out.
The Idler is definitely unnecessarily tight. I suspect commitment to suppliers and manufactures/suppliers have them fixed on bearing choice. But one thing to pay attention to is the side loads applied by the cassette when the chainline deviates above and below the center point, standard bearings wouldn't work well in these situations.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
The Idler is definitely unnecessarily tight. I suspect commitment to suppliers and manufactures/suppliers have them fixed on bearing choice. But one thing to pay attention to is the side loads applied by the cassette when the chainline deviates above and below the center point, standard bearings wouldn't work well in these situations.
True that, full pedal load is on the idler. How do the seals look ? Is it preload that's slowing it down ?

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Not the best vid but from about 2:55 can see her spin the pulley looks smooth but without doing it yourself to feel resistance hard to gauge.
Yeah hard to tell, at a guess it looks like she's moving it a fraction easier?

It doesn't spin in the same way that derailleur pulleys don't spin, but with a stiffer, weightier feel if that makes sense.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Had my thinking cap on for a week or so, and after going around in circles 3 or 4 times, I'm like 90% convinced I want a Banshee Prime now.

Cyclingdeal finally got some 44 offset mezzers in stock, and I am playing with the idea of a coil rear (ala @Wake Jake with the h3c). But might prefer something I can teardown and service more easily myself like the DVO jade. Also wondering if the fox dpx2 is worth having, or if I should see if I can get a frame without shock and source something different?

Wake Jake

Eats Squid
Had my thinking cap on for a week or so, and after going around in circles 3 or 4 times, I'm like 90% convinced I want a Banshee Prime now.

Cyclingdeal finally got some 44 offset mezzers in stock, and I am playing with the idea of a coil rear (ala @Wake Jake with the h3c). But might prefer something I can teardown and service more easily myself like the DVO jade. Also wondering if the fox dpx2 is worth having, or if I should see if I can get a frame without shock and source something different?
I did see that got some in which is good for those that prefer it have been waiting a while. Coil pairs really well on these frames.
DPX2 is very good for a stock shock and worth having. If I didn't go coil I would have kept it.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Good to know.
I see they say you can't run the Jade X, Topaz 2, and some other shocks (for clearance I assume). Did you run any other shocks? I was contemplating a Manitou Mezzer/Mara matched set, but the Mara has quite a long piggyback (and seemingly harder to find in trunnion 185x55).
Or a Suntour TriAir (DVO Topaz T3) as other alternative air shocks. All also easy to work on at home compared to the dpx2.
The DVO Jade is different to the Jade X, but not sure if it fits anyway?

Should probably just reach out to banshee. They probably have seen it all.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
FYI I contacted the Banshee distributer here, next Prime production run is April and taking orders now. Same 3 colours.

Very tempted, but was thinking more 2nd half of this year..

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
FYI I contacted the Banshee distributer here, next Prime production run is April and taking orders now. Same 3 colours.

Very tempted, but was thinking more 2nd half of this year..
What's a frameset worth these days?

Wake Jake

Eats Squid
Good to know.
I see they say you can't run the Jade X, Topaz 2, and some other shocks (for clearance I assume). Did you run any other shocks? I was contemplating a Manitou Mezzer/Mara matched set, but the Mara has quite a long piggyback (and seemingly harder to find in trunnion 185x55).
Or a Suntour TriAir (DVO Topaz T3) as other alternative air shocks. All also easy to work on at home compared to the dpx2.
The DVO Jade is different to the Jade X, but not sure if it fits anyway?

Should probably just reach out to banshee. They probably have seen it all.
Anything with a long piggyback won't fit. The Manitou Mara Pro doesn't fit either.
MTBR forum has a few threads on shock compatibility.