mid travel 29er suggestions

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I did see Summit have a SLX Druid in Melb stock. Doubt they ship bikes interstate just for a test though.
They've let me ride the bikes around the block a couple of times. Actual test rides on trails were a firm "no". Not really what you want to hear when you're talking 5k+ frames or 10k+ bikes...

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Lol. Availability this year first. Colour second.
No bad options. I sure all would kick ass. But there's the one that you buy and you keep looking at all the bikes as they go past. Then there's the ones you buy that are so nice they take your mind off other bikes (for a while longer at least).

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
They've let me ride the bikes around the block a couple of times. Actual test rides on trails were a firm "no". Not really what you want to hear when you're talking 5k+ frames or 10k+ bikes...
It's kinda understandable though. They're not a large company and having proper demo fleets with all sizes really does need the support of the distributor (or one of those permanent "demo day tours" that cruise around the country sometimes by various brands).

In lieu of actually being able to test anything, I'd recommend devouring every single review on a bike you're interested in by all the usual suspects. Some will scoff at that and say it's all pre-paid positive commentary, but if you do your research and read enough consistent themes about bikes will come through which will massively aid your decision.

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's kinda understandable though. They're not a large company and having proper demo fleets with all sizes really does need the support of the distributor (or one of those permanent "demo day tours" that cruise around the country sometimes by various brands).

In lieu of actually being able to test anything, I'd recommend devouring every single review on a bike you're interested in by all the usual suspects. Some will scoff at that and say it's all pre-paid positive commentary, but if you do your research and read enough consistent themes about bikes will come through which will massively aid your decision.
That’s very difficult with some Banshee bikes. Some of them don’t seem to get reviewed very often, which is a shame.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)

Been there, done that, it sucks. Reviews are rarely impartial or consistent, and neither is the purchaser.

I understand not having every size or every model, but not having any options at all seems pretty lame to me. Pick a few size L mid-travel 29ers of popular (or high-demand) models for example and you'd get a lot more customers willing to commit to a purchase. Undecided whether to buy a M or L, or L or XL? - Well now you've got a point of reference. Want to try and feel the difference between different linkages? Nice to be able to ride them over something a bit more technical than a cobblestone laneway or up/off a gutter on a flat street.

I don't expect it for free, and would be willing to pay a reasonable fee (up to $100 per day) and I'm sure there'd be some way a damage clause could be worked into the demo agreement. And the bike can still be sold as "used" afterwards.

I get it's not the store's fault, but it's disappointing the distro isn't willing to get the product out there a bit more.

LPG

likes thicc birds
Just noticed that Bird is now shipping complete bikes to Australia. Choose the parts on their awesome frames and don't pay the premium you would for speccing it yourself.

https://www.bird.bike/product-category/complete-bikes/

I've got one of the few AM9s (150mm travel enduro that is ) in Australia and couldn't be happier (built it from the frame as they didn't ship completes then). The Bird AM 9 (and other birds) typically have quite aggressive geometry but they have the suspension tuned so that they are quite playful and have a good pedalling platform. The am9 is not pure plough machine like some enduro bikes. The Aether 9 ( very capable 130 travel ) could be a very good option too. I have heard good things but no first hand experience with that one.

The shipping to Australia from the UK is expensive but they are awesome value that you will make up the difference if not more.

Last edited:

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
I understand not having every size or every model, but not having any options at all seems pretty lame to me.
Yep. For the Riders has/had a great model - they have a fleet of demo bikes, it’s ~$100 to demo one which is then refunded/discounted if you subsequently buy a bike following the demo. It also effectively operates as a rental fleet because of you’ve got a mate coming to town you can always grab a sweet bike for them to ride, and at Christmas/Easter when the shop shuts for a few days they rent them all out for the week. Plus, they just sell them off at the end of the year to recoup costs.

Summit might be small but they’re not that small. They sell enough $20k dentist bikes across two cities that they could put up a handful of demos in each shop if they wanted. Problem is that their basic customer service strategy is “buy it or don’t, whatever”.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt

I am happy to read a site / mag review but it's with a kilo of salt.
Head over to MTBR and find owner reviews. They'll tell you what you'll actually experience on the trails.
They often state their size, weight, riding style etc and will point out what sites simply won't.

When I selected my Prime I had to do it by geo numbers on a spreadsheet based on bikes I loved and hated. There's always a compromise but the Prime ended being the winner. 3 yrs later and I still absolutely adore it. This is from a guy who used to change bikes every 12 - 18 months.

The geo numbers don't tell the entire story but in the absence of a demo ride it's better than the fluff you'll read on a mag site.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Norco Optic, seems to get good reviews and more chance of seeing one in store.

Over the Edge in Melrose SA does some demos to hire but not as many boutique as they used too:

Also RD Speedshop in WA has hire demos as well.

Depending on where you are located might not be all that helpful.

The Ripmo AF would a good option as gives some get out of trouble travel and still a good trail bike going by reviews just has a bit of extra weight over its carbon brother.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What about the new alloy Rocky Mountain Altitude?
XT version for $6k is pretty decent value compared to many other things on the market at present.

*I've never ridden one, but have a few mates that have had the older version.

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sooo, it seems a few 'burners are in a Bike buying frame of mind ?

Thanks for the tips here - you've sent me down a Rabbit Hole of options i hadn't considered !

My Short list was a Nukeproof Reactor / Mega - stock tho - Derp
Really wanted look at a GT Force - Derp -only one avail in Aust - 'just happened to be the top level model -sir '

Read all the geo numbers - across all my bikes ( different styles ) the only consistent number was reach @ 448mm

So then i thought - Giant Trance X - yes i know white bread bike - but its consistent and reasonably priced - $3-$8k dependent on spec .

But the Stanton is a standout - no idea how it ride ... but it looks good - ( Possible Crazy Hot Stripper tho ? )

So , now the above advice is where I've ended up - TODAY - this will change my morning tea !

Reasonably priced Hardtail to $2500k to try the geo / ride etc
Nukeproof Scout ---- Derp . No stock .

So , do i just wait - i don't really need a bike - wanted to see if i could get ready and apply / attempt the Trans Tas in November - thats realistic .
Or ( as yet still waiting on parts to replace shit i break ) purchase a frameset and build up ?

My LBS can get some bikes - but it is limited - extremely limited in choice till about April at earliest .
Possibly can get Trance x in correct size - but only the more up specced versions .

All for a bike , I'm not sure i need .

Do Want .

ps
i am in agreeance with some of the comments regarding ' buy it, don't buy it , don't care ' from some bike stores - yeah i get it they are expensive, but this 'shortage will end and theremay be / will be ? less players in the market - customer service counts esp at the upper limits .

Not all 'Brahs and Dudes Cutting Sick Lines are dentists with cash to burn - some of us just like bikes .
And are 'in the market ' - after not committing for almost 12 months , there is a little pot of cash just begging to be spent !

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep. For the Riders has/had a great model - they have a fleet of demo bikes, it’s ~$100 to demo one which is then refunded/discounted if you subsequently buy a bike following the demo. It also effectively operates as a rental fleet because of you’ve got a mate coming to town you can always grab a sweet bike for them to ride, and at Christmas/Easter when the shop shuts for a few days they rent them all out for the week. Plus, they just sell them off at the end of the year to recoup costs.

Summit might be small but they’re not that small. They sell enough $20k dentist bikes across two cities that they could put up a handful of demos in each shop if they wanted. Problem is that their basic customer service strategy is “buy it or don’t, whatever”.
Based on some experiences friends have had with them, I'm in the don't camp. If only they sold a bike I wanted I'd pick another bike.

Last edited: