mid travel 29er suggestions

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ha ha I'm a midget for this place at 175 so M is my letter.
Righto, I'll pencil you in as getting the first PM about it. Now I just have to find something that scratches the new bike itch. I was 90% on a Revel until I rode one, now back to the drawing board. I've been looking at the Trail Pistol but it's really not much different to the Optic so hardly worth changing for, I'll have to do some more googling on the dreaded 'down country' bikes.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Righto, I'll pencil you in as getting the first PM about it. Now I just have to find something that scratches the new bike itch. I was 90% on a Revel until I rode one, now back to the drawing board. I've been looking at the Trail Pistol but it's really not much different to the Optic so hardly worth changing for, I'll have to do some more googling on the dreaded 'down country' bikes.
I look forward to seeing what you come up with, there is a lot of choice but very little to choose from at the moment due to COVID. I also just picked up a banshee prime so I may get you to paint it black before you send it so my wife doesn't notice another frame.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So update time!

Put a deposit on a new Banshee Prime yesterday. Now the parts gathering begins...
Much as this has been a great thread to read and participate in, it could have been two posts long.
Post 1. Which bike?
Post 2. Banshee Prime "close and lock thread"

Seriously though, you should love it.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
What colour did you get?
Black. Raw looks sweet, but everyone else seems to get raw and black goes with anything. Was kinda keen on the blue as well... Sent an email to Banshee asking about painting frames because I read it voids warranty. Was kind hoping I could spray some sections if I thought of a good colour scheme.

Much as this has been a great thread to read and participate in, it could have been two posts long.
Post 1. Which bike?
Post 2. Banshee Prime "close and lock thread"
I could've listened to Hifi and ended up with a Ripmo AF at post 6 or whatever too? Don't stop talking about mid travel 29ers now on my account!

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I look forward to seeing what you come up with, there is a lot of choice but very little to choose from at the moment due to COVID. I also just picked up a banshee prime so I may get you to paint it black before you send it so my wife doesn't notice another frame.
I'm thinking Transition Spur, but stock in Australia is an issue along with the crack pipe pricing.
Purple is hard to hide from the mrs, it really sticks out.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
I'm thinking Transition Spur, but stock in Australia is an issue along with the crack pipe pricing.
Purple is hard to hide from the mrs, it really sticks out.
Transition spur looks really good would love to give one a go. Purple is hard to hide... Time to paint the other 2 purple I guess.

dirtdad

Wheelsets question (for my mid travel 29er...)

Hope Pro 4 vs DT 240 EXP hubs
Hope has colours. DT is black or black, but a bit lighter.
Was also looking at DT 350, they are initially cheaper, but come up to the Hope price once I add a 36t ratchet. DT 240 wheelset is around $150 more than Hope.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Wheelsets question (for my mid travel 29er...)

Hope Pro 4 vs DT 240 EXP hubs
Hope has colours. DT is black or black, but a bit lighter.
Was also looking at DT 350, they are initially cheaper, but come up to the Hope price once I add a 36t ratchet. DT 240 wheelset is around $150 more than Hope.
What ratchet are the DT240s?

If it's 350s v Hopes, I'd choose Hopes. But I'd choose 240s over both - depending on whether the latter is an 18, 36 or 54.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
If it's 350s v Hopes, I'd choose Hopes. But I'd choose 240s over both - depending on whether the latter is an 18, 36 or 54.
This. Personally, I'd gun for the best hubs you can afford as everything after that (apart from the skill of the wheelbuilder) is pretty much disposable. So far I've found that a great hub and a great build means you can skimp a bit on the rim (which may well be quickly trashed anyway depending on how you ride).

dirtdad

What ratchet are the DT240s?
New EXP model comes with 36t. You can upgrade to 54t, but not as easily as older model. One side is fixed on exp, so need to unscrew that side with the right tool.

I'm leaning towards the dt240 because I love my current 350, but I've never had a hope hub.

PJO

in me vL comy
hubs are possibly the most underrated part of a bike build and can provide transformational differences in performance and fun. Buy the best you can.
I'd say up to a point. Hopes/350s/240s are all easily serviceable.
The DTs are easier since you don't need to take the cassette off to clean and relube (Hopes you have to remove cassette to get the seal back in place). The DT 36t ratchet feels a bit draggier than the Hopes when both have just been freshly lubed.

But I reckon you're splitting hairs for 240 vs 350. Sure the new 240 EXP look slick and are seriously light, what other transformational performance benefits are you actually getting for your money?

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
But I reckon you're splitting hairs for 240 vs 350. Sure the new 240 EXP look slick and are seriously light, what other transformational performance benefits are you actually getting for your money?
Disclaimer: haven't spent a huge amount of time on 350s and never owned a pair. Familiar with 240s though and rate them highly. The nominal $150 premium for a wheelset quoted above makes them pretty easy to justify imo. If it was more... yeah you'd have to be pretty welded to the weight loss, ceramic bearings and aesthetics to take over 350s.

PJO

in me vL comy
Disclaimer: haven't spent a huge amount of time on 350s and never owned a pair. Familiar with 240s though and rate them highly. The nominal $150 premium for a wheelset quoted above makes them pretty easy to justify imo. If it was more... yeah you'd have to be pretty welded to the weight loss, ceramic bearings and aesthetics to take over 350s.
Disclaimer: haven't been anywhere near 240s but have experience with Hopes (4 sets in the house) and 350s (2 sets).

EDIT: it seems to me that the best value (price per performance) in bike gear is not at the top end, it is about 1-2 rungs down from the top...
For example, I have an old set of XTR cranks, they are light and have potentially useful features but are fiddly to set up and remove and require extra uncommon tools. Whereas the XT and SLX cranks are way easier to set up and remove. The XTR cranks are sitting on the shelf because of this, I should probably sell them...

Last edited:

dirtdad

what other transformational performance benefits are you actually getting for your money?
Transformational... probably none. Like I said, I have a 350 rear and I rate it. But minor benefits I see:
  • worth more on resale (if I sell at some point)
  • lighter (meh, some grams...)
  • wider placed DS bearing (marginally stiffer?)
  • stainless bearings (longer service life)
  • wank bling factor
  • newer design (maybe parts available for more years)

I could save $80 or so getting 350 instead of hope (or save $250 over 240s) if I stick with the 18t ratchet. Then again, could get DT 350s with a 54t ratchet kit for about the same price as the hope set. And keep the stock 18t ratchets spare in case the 54t explodes under my immense watts like the interwebs says it will... 54t buzz might be nice...

Felt up some i9 hydras this morning at the local shop. But didn't like the sticker shock.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Felt up some i9 hydras this morning at the local shop. But didn't like the sticker shock.
Also $300 for a new freehub if you ever need to replace it...

I'm a DT fanboy, I'd go the 240EXP or 240 classic. They're nice, light, super reliable and incredibly easy to work on.