NSW Mill Creek Conservation Park (Menai) - MTB Trail building Thread

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
we put those signs up to keep out the riff raff.....:happy:
as willsy said.........
when you come to the fork in the road ,after the tip entrance,
take the right ,ride up to the gates (you'll be able to get in just on the right of the gate, trail head is about 500/750 meters along .......
post up how you get on.
Ok, checked it out in google earth... so got to ride up the road and then take the fork about 500m in?

For the closure signs on Heathcote Road, do those actually apply, weren't they to do with the shooters or something?

Sadly won't get there today on this trip to Sydney (and its hot by now) so will need to be in a few weeks. It used to be so easy riding there ride in for an hour, get totally lost then spend 90mins finding a way out!

willsy01

Eats Squid
Ok, checked it out in google earth... so got to ride up the road and then take the fork about 500m in?
Yeah. Forks right, then there's a gate about 50m along.......go around the gate then follow the service trail until you see the trail head sign on the left.

bowtajzane

Likes Dirt
yeah the signs are left over from the "disagreement "we were having with some knob end from the gun club about boundaries...
hit us up next time your planing on coming down....
we may even try to get willsy and a few of the other guys out there..............:boink:

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeah the signs are left over from the "disagreement "we were having with some knob end from the gun club about boundaries...
hit us up next time your planing on coming down....
we may even try to get willsy and a few of the other guys out there..............:boink:
Thanks for all the info!

Might try and hit up for a ride next time, just depends on how planned my visit is to that area. Really want to check out the area now after all the changes.

shore_2

Likes Dirt
Finally rode the new trail. Really fun up the top. Up ramp on the last jump is a little small though.

Thing i don't get is it doesn't really work with the loop. And it crosses over the climb twice. Am i missing something or is it just part of the bigger picture?

bowtajzane

Likes Dirt
Finally rode the new trail. Really fun up the top. Up ramp on the last jump is a little small though.

Thing i don't get is it doesn't really work with the loop. And it crosses over the climb twice. Am i missing something or is it just part of the bigger picture?
yeah it's not a bad first up effort from us.....
what do you mean, doesn't work with the loop?
do you mean looping backup or looping across the trail?

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Loops in loops design ... Core loops with side loops where possible for variety. Only so much you can do with the space available and without being able to snake a trail in every square inch of bush.

The patch is also vertically challenged ... So every descent is a bonus I reckon.

Agree though that the kicker on the last gap and some of the bottom section needs some tweaks ... But frack I'm just happy to ride it. :nerd:

the funny thing is, the original plan didn't even have us on this side of the creek. But given all the shizzle with ANSTO ... read ... off, on, off, delay, stall, make council jump hoops, maybe, waste our time, dangle carrots, then off again. This worked out to be a gem IMO.

Big thanks to all the vollies ... Past and present. :happy:

Snit

Likes Bikes
Rode the new bit this week and it's a fun little addition. Good work guys, your hard work is much appreciated. Have to agree about the last jump though, I had to really scramble in some pedals to make sure I cleared it. At the same time, I wouldn't want to see it dumbed down too much as it's good to see a feature that has some difficultly about it. Maybe just build the sender up a touch. That's not a criticism, just some friendly feedback.

Mattl

Likes Dirt
Great work on the new trail. I rode it for the 1st time today and even though the loop within the bigger loop is a strange concept in trail design especially with the cross overs it's added a very different style descent to the ones found on the original trail which is a good thing. I bottled out on the final trail gap and agree that it could do with a slightly higher and longer launch ramp but I probably still had the speed to clear it just.
Menai is already one the best tech xc trails in Sydney but now the whole of the bottom loop is so much fun I feel it is let down a bit by the last couple of km of the top loop. Are there further plans for more trail work on the top loop?

markb84

Likes Dirt
Great work on the new trail. I rode it for the 1st time today and even though the loop within the bigger loop is a strange concept in trail design especially with the cross overs it's added a very different style descent to the ones found on the original trail which is a good thing. I bottled out on the final trail gap and agree that it could do with a slightly higher and longer launch ramp but I probably still had the speed to clear it just.
Menai is already one the best tech xc trails in Sydney but now the whole of the bottom loop is so much fun I feel it is let down a bit by the last couple of km of the top loop. Are there further plans for more trail work on the top loop?
Don't worry. There's lots more planned. Stay posted and come along to build days.

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fantastic job on this new trail guys, I have been riding it all week and its loads of fun! the last jump is fine to me, no issue clearing it at all.

bowtajzane

Likes Dirt
thanks guys glad everyone's enjoying it,the cross over type arrangement is a little different....it's more out of restraints/necessity rather than trying to be different, i also had problems carrying enough speed to cleanly make the road gap....but I'm buy no means proficient in the air, so i think it maybe a combination of the roll- in being soft still and the takeoff and landing being built by two different people,one of which is a rank amateur:wave: the other a seasoned veteran at trail building, luckily the aforementioned seasoned veteran pointed out we had made the landing about 100mm to high.....oops. ....you would of seen some real carnage then......so things will be fixed/tweaked shortly. .....
Mattl,are you referring to the very end of the hole network ie: the fire trail back to the trailhead, if so that has just been used as it was a existing trail,hopefully we'll upgrade or cut in a new return trail with some features along it.

Mattl

Likes Dirt
thanks guys glad everyone's enjoying it,the cross over type arrangement is a little different....it's more out of restraints/necessity rather than trying to be different, i also had problems carrying enough speed to cleanly make the road gap....but I'm buy no means proficient in the air, so i think it maybe a combination of the roll- in being soft still and the takeoff and landing being built by two different people,one of which is a rank amateur:wave: the other a seasoned veteran at trail building, luckily the aforementioned seasoned veteran pointed out we had made the landing about 100mm to high.....oops. ....you would of seen some real carnage then......so things will be fixed/tweaked shortly. .....
Mattl,are you referring to the very end of the hole network ie: the fire trail back to the trailhead, if so that has just been used as it was a existing trail,hopefully we'll upgrade or cut in a new return trail with some features along it.
Yeah, I'm referring to the final section of fire trail which is a bit boring after all the single track and the short section of narrow trail disappearing into the overgrown long snakey grass leading back to the main fireroad. The second half of the top loop still has has a good rocky descent and climb that I enjoy. Anyway I will try to make it to some of the build days this year as the area has great potential with more work.

shore_2

Likes Dirt
Yeah, I'm referring to the final section of fire trail which is a bit boring after all the single track and the short section of narrow trail disappearing into the overgrown long snakey grass leading back to the main fireroad. The second half of the top loop still has has a good rocky descent and climb that I enjoy. Anyway I will try to make it to some of the build days this year as the area has great potential with more work.
I agree with this. Seems like a really easy place to add some flowing single with minimal time and effort.

markb84

Likes Dirt
Guys, you're not alone in wanting that section changed. A couple in the core building group have been wanting it for a while.

The focus for the time being has been on making the main sections as fun as possible and adding in more options.

There's lots of other stuff on the radar but it requires time and effort from the advocacy guys to get everything we want, it'll happen step by step.

We've got the start of something really great, to keep momentum we're going to need support. The more people that can join in the builds, the quicker we can have new trails.

Glad everyone is enjoying it!

bowtajzane

Likes Dirt
yeah, that spot really keeps you on your toes in the middle of summer,dodging all the tiger snakes.......:bolt:
I'm thinking a long section of rollers would be a good way to end a ride....

shore_2

Likes Dirt
Noticed a big load of palm tree trunks and frongs dumped on the Heathcote road side. Is there anywhere to report this? There is stacks more all along Heathcote road.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk