Mineral Oil Leak. Shimano XT

adaib

Likes Dirt
hey guys.
I'm running 2012 Shimano XT brakes and last night I noticed a lack of feel in my front lever. It got worse and worse, so i stopped riding and had a look. It appears that the brake fluid is leaking from the point where the hose joins the lever reservoir.
I rode straight back to the car from this point, and by the time I got there, about 20min later, most of the fluid was out of the line and on my bars/ shifters. The lever was hitting the grip when squeezed.

Any ideas of what this could be? I'm thinking burst seal?
And is it repairable or could I claim it on warranty. The brakes are only 1 month old!

Cycle Technic

Likes Bikes
adaib,

It sounds like the compression nut joint or olive has failed. If the hose was shortened by the shop or someone else, they may not have performed this step correctly. If this is the cause, it's a simple fix, just remove the compression nut using an 8mm spanner, pull the line out of the lever, cut off enough line to remove the barbed insert (about 7-10mm), install a new olive and barbed insert, and reinstall. Ensure that the hose is pushed all the way home into the lever body when tightening the compression nut. If you can get the shop to perform this step, all the cheaper and easier for you.

Good luck,

Charlie

adaib

Likes Dirt
Checked the compression nut.
it was tight. and all good.
So i took it to the lbs, and turns out the bleed port screw had been knocked in a stack 2 weeks ago, causing it to cross thread. And on the last ride, i was riding some super steep trails at the start, and we think the fluid forced its way out under all the braking pressure.
Unfortunately warranty is voided due to stack, and I have to wait until Tuesday to order a new lever. siiigh....

Cycle Technic

Likes Bikes
Checked the compression nut.
it was tight. and all good.
So i took it to the lbs, and turns out the bleed port screw had been knocked in a stack 2 weeks ago, causing it to cross thread. And on the last ride, i was riding some super steep trails at the start, and we think the fluid forced its way out under all the braking pressure.
Unfortunately warranty is voided due to stack, and I have to wait until Tuesday to order a new lever. siiigh....
adaib,

The bleed port screw and O-ring are available in Australia as aftermarket parts. If it is just the bleed port screw that needs replacing and not the reservoir cap, your LBS can get the part for you. It should be no more than $10 or so.

Charlie

screw

the bleed port screw directly into the lever, the resevior cap is just a cover. if that's been cross threaded then you need a new lever too