So after posting here about opinions on gearbox bikes,
I had a pm from rod at crankin cycles aka @noskidmarks

they had an ex demo Taniwha coming
https://www.zerodebikes.com

price was set and well i could not help but say no
so huge thanks to Rod, after all my emails etc
best part was that ALOT of my parts from my 2016 trance bolted on
which kept the cost even lower!

A few ppl have been asking me how i like the new sled...

For those that don't know
160 travel front Pikes RCT3
and rear Fox Float X
with a 12speed pinion gearbox. This has all 12 gears located where the bottom bracket is and has a range of 600% or think of a 10 to 60 rear cassette
Full carbon frame and ( a giant carbon )wheelset
2.6 rear with a 2.3 front (im a trend setter here! )
Ally bars with a 35mm stem and xt brakes
giant 125ml dropper
Weight is 15kg including the spare tube/tool and co2 canister under the seat

This thing rides awesome
Climbs fine, hell im no climber but is as good as if not better than my trance
I am Heaps more confident on the corners and over a jump or 3
Rides bumps and rocks like a champ
pedals silently too
Definitely gelled with this bike from the word go

Downsides i have found.
Takes getting used to the rotary/ grip shifter
The granny gear is soo low only good for non technical climbs as when you hit a rock you just stop.. As there is no momentum to get you over the rock.
Have to back off the pedals when changing down and up.
But you can change as many gears as you want

Benefits. Its silent. No chain slap at all. Instant gear change. No need to pedal the bike
Being able to change when standing still or coasting is awesome
Weight is down low and handles fantastically
Little maintenance just keep the chain clean and lubed (like any other bike)
Oil change 1 per year.
Chain rings should last yearS as the chain line is dead straight and does not move
like a single speed

So cant wait to take this too linga longa in balingup
and margret river

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Interesting that you have to back off changing gears both directions. I don't have to back off when going to a harder gear on mine.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
It sounds great thanks for the review. The weight is reasonable as well which is good to hear.

It's amazing how long it has taken to get bikes out of the stone age. I guess there is no money in it for the big 2 (why have a gear box that lasts the life of the bike when you can sell us shjt cassettes, chains, deuraillers etc) so that equates to zero interest in innovation.

Looking forward to seeing more of these

discofrank

Likes Dirt
Interesting that you have to back off changing gears both directions. I don't have to back off when going to a harder gear on mine.
yer i have to back off less when going up the gears / to a harder gear , could be that the box is brand new?

discofrank

Likes Dirt
It sounds great thanks for the review. The weight is reasonable as well which is good to hear.

It's amazing how long it has taken to get bikes out of the stone age. I guess there is no money in it for the big 2 (why have a gear box that lasts the life of the bike when you can sell us shjt cassettes, chains, deuraillers etc) so that equates to zero interest in innovation.

Looking forward to seeing more of these
cheers, as the tech improves im sure the weight will get lower!
the bike kinda pivots around the g/box hard to explain, really does handle different to my trance ,
Met a guy today who has an 18speed pinion on a fat bike!

Litenbror

Eats Squid
cheers, as the tech improves im sure the weight will get lower!
the bike kinda pivots around the g/box hard to explain, really does handle different to my trance ,
Met a guy today who has an 18speed pinion on a fat bike!
I've got a steel 27.5+ that I would love to get a gearbox in I think it would ride great. Unfortunately the options available are a thousand+ which is a bit high for me at the moment. Also putting it in the rear hub would not help the handling for an already heavy bike.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
. Also putting it in the rear hub would not help the handling for an already heavy bike.
I have a Rohloff IGH bike and it is very different to the Pinion gearbox. I don't like the way the Rohloff works for mtbing. It's great for commuting though. You have to back off for gear changes in both directions and you can really feel the weight in the rear wheel. The Pinion bike feels heavier than most modern bikes, but the weight is low and centred so it's not an issue until a few hours into a ride or if there is a lot of climbing. The best solution for that is improved fitness, but I'm not sure I'm that dedicated!

Litenbror

Eats Squid
I have a Rohloff IGH bike and it is very different to the Pinion gearbox. I don't like the way the Rohloff works for mtbing. It's great for commuting though. You have to back off for gear changes in both directions and you can really feel the weight in the rear wheel. The Pinion bike feels heavier than most modern bikes, but the weight is low and centred so it's not an issue until a few hours into a ride or if there is a lot of climbing. The best solution for that is improved fitness, but I'm not sure I'm that dedicated!
Yeah I thought of the Rohloff but like you said not great for mtbing also considered the Shimano Alfine. My bike already weights in at about 15kg so a few more kg would just work off the Christmas ham a bit faster.

discofrank

Likes Dirt
Not sure about setting any trends with the way you run your tyres. Any reasons for going wider at the back?
haha i know!

rear needed a new tyre, only had enough sealant for 1 ... if i put the wider on the front i would need 2 x sealant :)
actually rides fine, well to this avg rider anyways , i soo need more time on, i litrally smile evertime i ride it
and at the end of the day thats all we want! regardless of what or who we ride with :)

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I would really like to go down the gearbox path, just can't justify the expense just yet. I hate derailleurs with a passion, always giving you issues and just a hang on from road bikes.

discofrank

Likes Dirt
I would really like to go down the gearbox path, just can't justify the expense just yet. I hate derailleurs with a passion, always giving you issues and just a hang on from road bikes.
Yes, not cheap YET!
I was just lucky to get it at a good price on an ex demo frame ( few marks etc nothing i would not do soon enough )
the ground clearance to the rear sprocket is huge! i no longer get scared when going through tight,narrow and deep ruts!

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Thanks for the kind words.
I like the blue forking. It’s so wrong it’s right. Blue seat and pedals and it’d look great.
You’ll only learn to love this bike more, as it breaks in and your instincts get used to shifting anytime and how many gears you want to change. Enjoy.

discofrank

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the kind words.
I like the blue forking. It’s so wrong it’s right. Blue seat and pedals and it’d look great.
You’ll only learn to love this bike more, as it breaks in and your instincts get used to shifting anytime and how many gears you want to change. Enjoy.
yer man, it brings a smile on my face every time!
blue pedals maybe.. blue seat YUK! :p
everyone who sees the bike dont like the blue forks, makes we want tot keep them HAHAHA

discofrank

Likes Dirt
so after riding it more

i still dig it! enjoy it more everytime i ride,

biggest negative so far....... you cant lube the chain on the ground.... as when you spin the cranks backwards the chain dont spin!
need a bike stand !

stands up well in a crash too! had a few haha

Z

Zaf

so after riding it more

i still dig it! enjoy it more everytime i ride,

biggest negative so far....... you cant lube the chain on the ground.... as when you spin the cranks backwards the chain dont spin!
need a bike stand !

stands up well in a crash too! had a few haha
Flip it on its back?
Have you done any long rides with it?

Sent from my Agora 4G Pro using Tapatalk

discofrank

Likes Dirt
Flip it on its back?
Have you done any long rides with it?
never thought of that! cheers

around 20k is the biggest so far in 1 hit
few weeks back did 43 over 3 different rides in collie in day

really need to get fitter to hit 35k plus

Z

Zaf

Do you notice the drag on gearbox any? or does pedalling feel pretty much of a muchness?

discofrank

Likes Dirt
Do you notice the drag on gearbox any? or does pedalling feel pretty much of a muchness?
not that i can tell, i think it is slightly harder than conventional, but that could be the fact i have wider tyres.
shifting is defiantly getting easier with more kms and shifts,

the more i ride itthe better i like it, gelled with it so good, im more confident on it than my trance too!

in the past 3 weeks i have known 4 different ppl to have issues with thier rear derailuers... being either bent,broken or loosing jockey wheels...

im like ill never have that EVER again

ohh found out mate spec epic is between 11 to 12kgs ( full spec xc dually bike ) im at 15~ not bad at all