Mitsubishi Delica

RCOH

Eats Squid
Anyone got one/owned one?

Our car died and I am thinking of getting one - probs 1999 - 2002 L400 (spacegear/chamonix).

Doing research now, but thought i'd check on here for any advice/problems/positive stories etc

cheers
Rod.

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've never owned one personally but a mate of mine has one (and hopefully sees this thread). It's a turbo diesel LWB model and it hauls ass! It's had a few mods, but we shuttle all day long in it and it never lets us down. Goes pretty hard offroad for what it is.

We fit 3 complete DH bikes + Gear + 4 people inside and can shuttle up and down some of the hairest DH shuttle roads. I think it's sitting on 20+ psi of boost and its not short on power. It also handles the twisties pretty damn well but it's had some suspension work... I'd say a stock delica will always have the higher then usual tendancy to roll :p

There pretty reliable from what I hear. Very under-rated for sure!

scblack

Leucocholic
A friend of mine had one of them. Had a few costly problems though, I cannot remember what the problems were. Gearbox I think. Got rid of it, and bought a Prado - although they are two retirees with no kids.

Great concept, but never directly imported to Australia, so parts could potentially be an issue.

Overall, thats a pretty old car now, so expect some costly bills for work at times.

Personally if I were you, I would look for a used Falcon wagon. Plenty of room for family with three kids. Simple vehicle, easy service, heaps of parts and if driven carefully cheap enough to run.

Why would you need 4WD etc?

Last edited:

jaseh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had a 98 series 2 V6 Chamonix. Great van, nothing like it out there. Perfect car for a family or a cyclist. The interior of the Chamonix is not everyones cup of tea butyou can get some nice seat covers and floor mats to cover it.
I had no issues at all with mine except it was a bit thirsty, to be expected though. I'm thinking of getting another one but a series 2 diesel this time. I wouldn't buy a series 1 diesel now as they are getting a bit old now and they had a heap of issues with fuel pumps blowing up. They are the pick if you plan on going offroad with a better approach angle. They perform quite well off road as they come with the superselect transfer box and most come with an LSD, you can get lockers, lift kits and all the usual gear to go further off road. I had a 2in lift on mine and it performed quite well but didn't push it to far. They are not as top heavy as they look either as all the driveline is fairly low in the chassis.
try to import one yourself if possible or get in contact with one of the guys in Japan on the delicaclub.com forum to seek a good one out. The only thing with them is they are way overpriced for the market. I paid $16000 for mine back in 07 and ended up giving it away for $8000 in 09 after advertising it for about 9 months. There is a LWB S1 Super Exceed for sale here in town for about $12000, it's a purple colour but has been sitting on the side of the road for over 12 months now. LWB gets you an extra 400mm of interior space, 200mm in front and 200mm behind the rear axle, downside of this is they are not as good offroad.
Parts are not an issue as there are mitsubishi dealers that support them and most parts are compatible with either the express, pajero and triton, there are also guys importing parts from japan like delicashop.com.
If your after more info go to delicaclub.com and sign up. It is one of the friendliest online communities out there.
This was mine,

Last edited:

RCOH

Eats Squid
Ha Lyle - I would NEVER drive a ford falcon. Ever. EV. ER. :)

We want to get a people mover as my father-in-law is retired & ill and cannot walk. Will also come in handy when the kids' cousins come in over or we visit them in the mountians. I sure as hell ain't getting a tarago or Kia carnival.

I want a 4Wd drive to go 4WDing - or at least camp at spots the trusty Magna couldn't get to.

Thanks for the advice JaseH, I have joined delicaclub and there is heaps of info to go through.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Another big fan of the Delica.

I can't think of a better companion to an avid mountain biker/camper.

I have a colleague who owns one - frequently subject to my envy. His has the full 'JDM gadget' treatment including 5 sunroofs and curtains that retract over the windows. I'm not sure if it's featured on all of them but in later series, you can rotate the second row of seats so it faces backwards or sideways. Additionally, rows 2 and 3 can be laid flat to form a double bed.

FatGuts

Likes Dirt
Go right over it for rust. A vast majority of these live in the snow areas of Japan. Snow = salt which = rust so go right over it. Check the seams underneath & around the rear under the bmper bar. Make sure you also pull the batteries out for a look, major rust spot. I saw one that was immaculate, had not even had a Japanese smoking family, looked like a great car until the guy pulled the battery out for me & left a 6" hole in the inner guard.

Apart from that, typical grey import, harrder to get parts for, more expensive to insure. Make sure you check all the other things you would normally chaeck when buying a car.

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think the parts issue is a bit exaggerated. All of the motors and drivelines are commonly shared across the Pajero and Triton ranges. Panels and lights etc will be a bit different, but even then there are thousands of the things around.

They are exceptionally capable offroad; we have two in our local 4x4 club and both go everywhere the big trucks go (within reason), however if you don't respect that high centre of gravity, you will tip them over.

P.S - Don't buy a petrol.

RCOH

Eats Squid
Hey all, thanks for the replies.

I am going to look at the Delica below on the weekend. It is a good friends dads car, who had decided to sell it a few days before I mentioned to my friend we were looking at delicas. Anyway it is in good nick etc but what I want to know is:

Do Iget an independent inspection done after I have checked it out, or do I get the independent mechanic/nrma to meet me there?

Thanks.

edit: @Jaseh - the one below is a 98 Exceed, i would prefer the chamonix but beggers/choosers, and this is great price from a trustworthy source.
@Wellsey - it's a petrol 3l V6 - thinking of lpg conversion down the track though.

Last edited:

indica

Serial flasher
@Wellsey - it's a petrol 3l V6 - thinking of lpg conversion down the track though.
Apparently not so worth it on Mitsi engines that have done a few ks.
I enquired with my Triton after 250 and was told it could cause more trouble than it was worth.

FatGuts

Likes Dirt
Yeah, they can have issues with pocketing the valves. You can fix this by having hardened valsve seats fitted to the head but if the engine had a couple of hundred thousand km on it then you can run into problems with the bottom end once its disturbed.

This is a pretty common problem with Jap cars as they are not built with LPG in mind.

jaseh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
From memory there are not too many spots to put the LPG tank if you keep the fuel tank as well. Most that I saw went with the donut style that mounted where he spare wheel goes, that left you with the spare in the car or forking out for a rear mount spare carrier and only about 200km of travelling on the LPG before a refill. There is some room down each side but I think one side required the exhaust to be re-routed and the other the electric step got in the way plus, you lost ground clearance for offroad duties.
Personally, I wouldn't buy another petrol one, no one really wants them and the fuel economy is pretty poor. They rev at 3000rpm doing 100kph which is pretty high for a 3L V6 and running around Newcastle it chewed through around 16l/100km. My fiancé got it down to about 12l/100km on a trip to Lightning Ridge but that was sitting on 90kph on dead flat straight roads with 100 odd km between towns. Diesels should get 12's around town and 10-11 on the highway. Plus you can go with diesel/gas and get better power and economy out of them.

Keep in mind that it has been 3-4 years since I had one and the options for LPG tanks should've got better.

The one you have posted is a low roof so you won't have any issues with parking lots ( I hit the roof of mine at Kotara), they are also slightly better on fuel. The models ran Exceed, Super Exceed and Royal Exceed. Exceed came in both 7 or 8 seat, the others only came in 7 seater I think. Chamonix, Jasper and Greenfields editions were special editions based on the Exceed 8 seater with funky graphics and interior and LSD, Climate control etc as STD.
As for inspections, get someone who knows Deli's to go over it with you.

Last edited:

redbruce

Eats Squid
From memory there are not too many spots to put the LPG tank if you keep the fuel tank as well. Most that I saw went with the donut style that mounted where he spare wheel goes, that left you with the spare in the car or forking out for a rear mount spare carrier and only about 200km of travelling on the LPG before a refill. There is some room down each side but I think one side required the exhaust to be re-routed and the other the electric step got in the way plus, you lost ground clearance for offroad duties.
Personally, I wouldn't buy another petrol one, no one really wants them and the fuel economy is pretty poor. They rev at 3000rpm doing 100kph which is pretty high for a 3L V6 and running around Newcastle it chewed through around 16l/100km. My fiancé got it down to about 12l/100km on a trip to Lightning Ridge but that was sitting on 90kph on dead flat straight roads with 100 odd km between towns. Diesels should get 12's around town and 10-11 on the highway. Plus you can go with diesel/gas and get better power and economy out of them.

Keep in mind that it has been 3-4 years since I had one and the options for LPG tanks should've got better.
The petrol V6 is smooth as silk, thirsty as buggery (prone to leaking oil and not the longest living modern engine) and dont respond particularly well to LPG. Not my preferred 4WD but as others have said go the diesel if you must.

latheboy

Likes Dirt
We got a V6 2001 Chamonix swb with high roof and 8 seats just before easter.
We got Petrol because I just can't stand diesels.

It's cool as, All the seats fold down flat (this includes the front 2) so its great for sleeping in and I can sit up in bed with clearance to the roof. I'm 1850mm.
I still have the queen size mattress in the back now.

My Wife took all the carpet out and replaced it with rubber then bolted the seats back in.
I could almost hose it out now.

I just tanked and got 15L/100K driving around the burbs ... I don't care really how much it uses, i like to drive it.

The delica forum is really good for info.

Escapegoat

Escapegoat
Another big vote for the Delica here- I've had one for nearly 3 years. Mine is a 2001 petrol S2 Chamonix SWB, I would have loved a diesel 8 seater LWB, but was impossible to find! It is thirsty, but it is a work vehicle too!

I use mine for everything- but mainly as a tour vehicle to move 7 clients around with our trailer either here in Adelaide or up in the Flinders Ranges and interstate. It's really handy at races and stufff too, I slept in it very comfortably over the weekend at the 24hr race in Adelaide. I also used it when I did the trail signage for the Mawson Marathon last year, and drove the entire 360km course in the van- it's a bloody good 4wd.

Fold up one of the back seats and a bike fits in without any worries.

Parts occasionally are a problem as they are not listed on most systems, but now I just tend to go direct to delicashop to get the parts and my local mechanic does the work.

P1080668-001.JPG

RCOH

Eats Squid
I took the one I posted for a test drive on the weekend and it went like a dream. The owner, my friends dad, told me it was a 99 Delica and that he was the first owner in Australia. It has a full service history including timing, CV joints, steering pump, new tires, new battery & exhaust all done last year. He said he bought the best delica he could find just over 2 years ago (so before the tsunami) he could then got the NRMA to check it over completely and got whatever needed fixing fixed. We checked it for visible rust & oil oil leaks but could find neither. The only thing that isn't present from when he bought it are the rear cutains & curtain rails on the sliding door side, as he said they smelt like cigarettes and he couldn't get it out.

I am having an MTA mechanical inspection done tomorrow morning, and if it gets the all clear from them then I am 99% sure I will be a Delica owner.

floody

Wheel size expert
Whatever you do don't get a V6 petrol one, the motors are a boat anchor prone to frighteningly costly failure.

Oh and go drive a Nissan Elgrand.

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They're just thirsty, but go forever. Diesel is where it's at if you have the choice tho.