Mobile Phone Recommendations

bigdamo

Likes Dirt
Apple did 2 yrs free and added another year for iphone 14 users. I dont do apple stuff so will have to wait till it comes on on Samsung or Pixel.

Reports online say is works pretty good for a new application, which can only get better.

"
How to connect your iPhone to a satellite
While you can't just open your phone and opt to connect to a satellite, there are some things you need to know about using your phone when connected to a satellite.

You'll be guided into the satellite connection phase once you've answered the emergency questions and you're ready to send the compressed, encrypted, message.

First of all, you need a clear view of the sky and a clear horizon - mountains, buildings, and even trees can block the signal, so you want it to be as open as possible. And don't put your phone in your pocket or bag, keep it in your hand.

The on-screen images will give you an indication of when you're connected, as well as advise on whether you need to turn left or right to maximise the connection. There may be gaps in satellite coverage, but you'll be advised how long it is until you'll have a connection again."

Emm If i'm laying on the ground after a big off I wouldn't rely on Iphone. I'll wait till https://bullitt.com/en-gb/ starts covering Australia. The technolgy is there just the take up from the general public is really very low hence alot of companies are reluctant to go into this market.

" Bullitt Satellite Connect integrates an ecosystem of innovative technology, satellite and network infrastructure partners. Proprietary software and service components have been developed in parallel to provide satellite text messaging via a simple to use OTT application (Bullitt Satellite Messenger). It is the only direct to satellite service using the 3GPP standards so making it completely scalable. "

I looked at getting a ulefone sat messaging phone awhile ago. Came to the conclussion it will be a while before this technolgy sorts itself out. A PLB I went with as well as a Angie if i knock myself out for awhile and a phone with really good reception.

Last edited:

oldcorollas

Levin the moment
I had a cheap Huawei Chinese whispers phone as my personal phone and I was given a Samsung S21 FE by my work. The S21 FE was around the $500 mark.

I don't like the Samsung phone ui compared to the Huawei ui that my personal phone had.

I recently replaced the Huawei with a Motorola G84 which whilst the Motorola android ui was a learning curve I really like it now and the only thing I would say the Samsung does better is take better photos. But in saying that the G84 was only $349.
i've liked my Moto X4 for a few years now.. the moto UI is nice and simple.. front fingerprint/swipey sensor i could not do without now... but sadly too slow for apps that keep getting bloated :(
had a look at the Edge 40.... but now seems the Edge 50 Pro is out...

$1K at JB - $200 JB giftcard (=$800) + free "moto buds+" by redemption... hmmm EDIT: JB doesn't get free buds?
the cameras will still be crapper than the big brands but... 125W charging... could be worse?

HN has $200 gift card + free "moto buds+" by redemption https://www.harveynorman.com.au/motorola-edge-50-pro-5g-256gb.html

and 50 Fusion will be $600 in a month

Last edited:

Jabubu

let you google that for me
I used to be an Android Man and moved to Apple - I am now entrenched in Apple and changing OS would be a PITA - but I miss android and the excitement of multiple manufacturers and choices -
Choice is indeed good but if you get used to a manufacturer's features then you're still locked into them if you want to keep them. Think of Samsung's S-Pen or Motorola's physical gestures.