DH Modern vintage Citrus.

moorey

call me Mia
So, here she is. Posted a pic a while ago about an upcoming build. Finally got her yesterday thanks to the handsome and virile @Markee , thanks mate. Collected it and brought it back from Tassie for me :D.

Bit of a tank when it arrived, some nitpickers might say all oranges are. If that’s you, move along. Nothing to see here.

Weighed a ton, even for an orange, at 18.2kg.
Plan was to only use what was spare in the shed, to lighten it and make it a bit more usable.

How she came:
C4F9F9A1-FA71-4F2A-8E4B-F24C0B532E74.jpeg

Gone:
Deemax.
5th element.
DH tyres.
Holzfeller cranks and Howitzer BB
Rigid post.
1x9

Now:
CC77D9B0-3F9A-41CA-9B50-118A04DE5FC0.jpeg

Added:
Flow hoops.
CCDBA CS
Sram cranks.
Exo casing minions.
Dropper.
1x10.

Frame - 2003 Orange patriot 7+
Rear shock - CCBDA cs
Front shock/fork - RS Totem 180mm 1.5”
Handlebars - RF atlas
Stem - RF D2 1.5”. 50mm
Headset - Otbit 1.5”
Grips - ODI Lock on.
Saddle - Charge spoon.
Seatpost - Thomson elite 125mm dropper (27.2)
Front brake - Shimano 615
Rear brake - Shimano 615
Cranks - Sram S1000 170mm
Chain - XT 10sp
Pedals - Deity
Rear derailleur - XT 10sp clutched
Rear shifter - SLX 10sp
Cassette - XT 11-40 (one up cog)
Front hub - Hope pro2 evo
Rear hub - Hope pro2 evo
Front rim - Flow ztr ex 26”
Rear rim - Flow ztr ex 26”
Tyres - F minion dhr exo, R minion ss exo
Total weight - Now 15.75.
Very respectable and surprising, given the 3kg fork.

It’s getting its first test ride tomorrow. Deserves a 35km Xc/trail loop with those rookie numbers. Totem Spring WAY too heavy for me. I’m getting 100mm max out of them.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
Only really bought it ‘just coz’, but I’m really lichen it, and reckon it will get some use.
Put a 216mm shock in instead of the 222mm one. Lost a few mm of travel, improved HA and BB height a little.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Nice one, you sure trimmed off quite a bit of weight there. Enjoy your maiden blat on your new old steed.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Weighed a ton, even for an orange, at 18.2kg.
Plan was to only use what was spare in the shed, to lighten it and make it a bit more usable.

Total weight - Now 15.75.
Very respectable and surprising, given the 3kg fork.

It’s getting its first test ride tomorrow. Deserves a 35km Xc/trail loop with those rookie numbers.

You sick f@$k.

;)

moorey

call me Mia
Nice one, you sure trimmed off quite a bit of weight there. Enjoy your maiden blat on your new old steed.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk
Yeah, 2.5kg, and could lose almost another kg if I banged the Lyriks on...but that’s not happening....

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Noice. It looks to be in very good nick given its age and what it was built for.

That totem boat anchor needs to go. But given that suspension fashion has come full circle, maybe just update the cartridge with an Avalanche and go full redux.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

moorey

call me Mia
There’s things I’d do in the perfect world...but the bike hasn’t, and won’t have a cent spent on parts on it. Honestly though, the way I ride DH these days, it’s more that capable with the Totems. They’re a great old fork, and B lines are getting dumbed down more each year.

moorey

call me Mia
5224E75C-B009-47FB-8FB4-E93A0264AD13.jpeg
Ok, need to swap out the spring in the Totes. I generally bottom out pikes and lyriks at least once on the loop. Never used more than half today, and I think that was a nose case. Wrists are toast, got nothing on the small bumps and stutters.
Much like on my Five, the CCDBA just doesn’t do the job. This shock was on the 160 alpine, and worked a treat. Fine tuning in suspension design and pivot points have clearly made a difference on these. Will chuck an old DHX 5 air on. I know it will fix this, like it did on the Five. A coil shock would be nice, but 2 I have in the right size are not an option (vanilla rc blown, and DNM burner...eww), and I’m commited to the ‘no spend’ policy on this bike.
Bucks around more on square hits than the Alpine, and jacks more under brakes, but definitely feels easier to pedal up the hills, despite a bit more weight.

All that said, I cussing loved it. For a bike I bought to hang on the wall, I can see I’m going to get some good use out of it. Woot.

moorey

call me Mia
Nah, lever operated, like most of my bikes. Got the remote for it that came in the box, prefer lever. Helps keep me mediocre.

Last edited: