Modern XC WTF

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert

This is actually a really good discussion.
Good ad for the Spur as well

the comment from the plaid shirt guy re building bikes up ... or over building ... definitely hit a chord with me a likely quite a few riders in general

my comments on topic
Fracking hell the SID Ultimate is a bloody good fork and the SID Luxe Ultimate is a pretty awesome shock as well ... caveat: on the platform I’m riding ... Revel Ranger. The CBF ramps up at the end stroke which really helps what I’m doing or wanting to feel when descending on this setup.

On my short descending test track with 35% sag ... on an XC fork and shock mind you ... mind blown.
not a gnarly track and likely found on most fun steeper / faster trails anywhere ... but where I get a little bogged down on the bigger/slacker 29’ and 27.5 out of the berm ... the nimble Ranger just whips around or if I muff it I can squirt out with a couple pedals hit the next jump and accelerate and pop over the next bike and a half length root carpet which is just that much easier given the weight differences.

when I get it right all three of my rigs 170mm/27.5 ... 140mm/29 ... 120mm/29 produces the same times ... but more importantly the same exhilaration. I think that’s important for the modern XC. No puckering, no tentativeness ... just the same level of rider commitment, understanding consequences of a fuck up will be more intense ... which adds an element to the ride that I’m looking for

35% sag absolutely sucks balls pedalling ... the Ranger bobs like no tomorrow at 35% where the other rigs love it ... but purely from a descending point of view ... am I the only one that has wanted an XC bike (11kg build with dropper and front Dissectors) that can descend like an old skool DH bike. Pop jumps, schralp corners and skim off the rough at Mach 6.

get it wrong, especially high speed, high frequency hits and you will need solid bike handling skills and maybe a few more psi in the tires, but frack these things are fun and the consequences gets your brain pumping.

in more normal setup of 20 to 25% sag ... the front is fairly harsh from a trail bike point of view ... rear platform is bang on IMO, but I’m still playing with my preferred setup which I think is going to be 30% front 25% rear for all round (descending biased) or 25F/20R for longer distance pedalling survival mode.

anywho ... do you have a modern XC ... what is it? how do you use it? Would you do it again? Have you resisted over building it?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Spoke to an older lady last week riding ^^^that exact bike, awesome looking bike . Was only her second ride on it and was also her second ride offroad, ever... been a roadie all her life, had an accident involving car and it scared her, sold the roadie, buys a Hei Hei, she was easily late 50's early 60's.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Haven't had a go on a modern XC "downcountry" whatever bike yet. But I want to.

That SID trail fork does sound pretty unbelievable - a lightweight, stiff 35mm short travel fork could breathe new life into heaps of older XC bikes too.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
I have a Scalpel SE with the same suspension setup SID/ SID Lux at 25/26% sag and the thing just climbs like a mountain goat out of the seat and you seriously have to be trying to get it to break traction.
It's also such a poppy bike as well...
Rockshox has nailed it this suspension.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
my mate just got a spec’ zd epic evo 120mm bike, reckon it’s the best bike he ever had, he’s faster on it than stump jumper cos it’s so light, and climbs just as well as his ht

acads

Likes Dirt
Haven't had a go on a modern XC "downcountry" whatever bike yet. But I want to.

That SID trail fork does sound pretty unbelievable - a lightweight, stiff 35mm short travel fork could breathe new life into heaps of older XC bikes too.
It's a good platform, my Trek Top Fuel is a 120/115mm SID/Sid Lux set up. Very capable fork and quite the step up from a 100mm SID W/C. As Nerf mentioned, getting the sag right is critical for a balanced ride. I believe it's inherent in this fork as the operating window seems pretty small compared to other forks I've used. Overall I'm enjoying what this bike can do, bit of a swiss army knife.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I couldn't get a really good look at what happened there, but it's not a new thing... I've seen whole bottom bracket assemblies, shell & all, break out of frames before.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not a great advert for arc8.

So disappointing, it was his Arron Gwin moment to win a race with out a chain, well whole drive train.
Back in my day…..
2213E460-699F-41E0-9875-7CFE7427F25D.jpeg

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I still very fondly remember a lap of the main loop of Stromlo on a Spesh Epic World Cup, a $13K sub 10kg ridiculous race bike. A demo day, got to ride a bunch of fun stuff but that was the standout and I only rode it while waiting for something else!

Feck me it was fast, never ever came close to touching the PB I set that day! It was otherworldly how it seemd to jsut float over the ground at warp speed. Very impressive machine.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Looks like we are full circle and back to XC rigs, I got rid of my old hei hei about a year ago after 10 years of ownership. Solid rig in scandium, basic build rebas up front and xc rubber, weighted in at around 11kg with no carbon and I did use that thing for black runs for 3 years and then when my other AM bike was getting fixed.

The weight is a massive thing, makes it much more flickable and sort of makes you not want to get an ebike...