Modifying D2R Shadow Trainer for 11 speed and ANT+ speed sensor

Cave Dweller

Eats Squid
Thought I would post this incase anyone is looking for a new trainer. The D2R shadow is a magnetic direct trainer with a swing mechanism built in that I have had my eye on for a while.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q12vTCBvzRY

It is not a very well known trainer but it uses the exact same magnetic direct drive mechanism as the Cyclops Silencer which is much more expensive (approx $900) and does not have a swing base.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cycleops-silencer-direct-drive-mag-trainer-wcassette/

I bought mine from Torpedo7 on sale for $370 (they are on sale at least once a month), but you can also get it from Cycling Deal or cycling express
http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/YDTRMN3SH/title/d2r-shadow-bike-trainer
http://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/d2r-shadow-bike-bicycle-professional-roller-trainer/D2R
https://www.cyclingexpress.com/?lan...2R-Shadow-Trainer---Swing-Version&keyword=d2r

HOWEVER, the D2R has two problems

1. The cassette is only for 10 speed, so those road riders with the current 11speed bikes are out of luck.
2. Without a rear wheel on the trainer there is not anywhere to mount a spoke magnet for ANT+ speed sensor. A trainer without speed is not very useful

But never fear, I took a punt, bought the trainer and fixed both problems.

To fit an 11 speed cassette takes two steps. First, you need to file down the small 1mm step on the rear of a Ultegra 11 speed cassette (this will make it only useful on the trainer, can't use on a bike anymore). Then on the D2R trainer you need to move one non-drive side spacer washer to the drive side and mount two washers between the cassette and frame. This results in the cassette being in a perfect position. I dont need to do any adjustments when switching from rear wheel to direct drive.

To fit an ANT+ speed sensor remove the belt cover, glue/tape/zip tie a magnet to the flywheel. Mount an ANT+ speed sensor to the outside of the belt cover so its tripped by the magnet and bingo, you have speed on a direct drive trainer.

If you already have a crank based power meter then you have everything you need to do speed, cadence and power based interval training.

Pic1.jpg
Pic2.jpg
Pic4.jpg
Spacers.jpg
Pic3.jpg
Pic5.jpg
Pic6.jpg

mad greek

Likes Dirt
Cool modification, I like it!

I noticed that the trainer only accepts Shimano/SRAM cassettes and no Campag. Have you read any reports of anyone using this with a Campag setup at all?

It looks like a great idea, a lot better than my old school rollers I've got going at the moment!

Cheers,
Theo

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
How do you find the resistance of this trainer, I currently own a small mag based Jet Black trainer and find that I can't turn it up high enough and I'm always spinning out.

Cave Dweller

Eats Squid
Cool modification, I like it!

I noticed that the trainer only accepts Shimano/SRAM cassettes and no Campag. Have you read any reports of anyone using this with a Campag setup at all?

It looks like a great idea, a lot better than my old school rollers I've got going at the moment!

Cheers,
Theo
I think Cycleops has a campy freewheel on the Silencer as an option, it might also fit on the D2R shadow.

How do you find the resistance of this trainer, I currently own a small mag based Jet Black trainer and find that I can't turn it up high enough and I'm always spinning out.
I could spin it to over 900W but cadence was a bit high at around 130rpm.

Trainer.jpg

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cave Dweller,

Great and informative post, do you mind providing a bit of a review?

I am after a new trainer as my Elite Crono Fluid is almost on it's last legs, and I use tubular tires as a rule so tire ware is something that botthers me.

Cheers,

Cul

Cave Dweller

Eats Squid
I am using it for steady state drills (FTP 2x20's, 1 min FTP builders etc) so the magnetic resistance is fine. I think the usable range for the unit is maybe up to 600W, and higher and you need to spin at a huge cadence.

Unit is super quiet. My drivetrain makes more noise. It does not have a cooling fan so the magnetic unit can get a bit hot to the touch.

It has a huge ~7kg cast steel flywheel so change in acceleration feels somewhat realistic and not instantaneous.

The swing side to side motion is great. When just pedalling and trying to hold power it moves slightly side to side which feels nicer than a rigid trainer.

You can get out of the saddle no problems. Its feels a bit unrealstic though as you dont have the "surge forward" factor that you get on the road. But its good to have the side to side swing as it seems it will put less stress on the frame. I dont find the unit bounces up at down as the rubber bumpers are fairly stiff.

The construction is rock solid, all steel frame. The base frame legs/pads are all adjustable so you can get it level. If the frame is not level you will tilt a bit to one side.

I had a slight issue with the aluminum inductor inside the flywheel coming loose as its just an interference fit. When it comes loose it spins around and wont generate much resistance. Instead of sending it back I just installed two grub screws and problem solved. If anyone has the same issue I can take some pictures. Just requires a drill, a tap and a grub screw.

If you have any specific questions just ask.

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am using it for steady state drills (FTP 2x20's, 1 min FTP builders etc) so the magnetic resistance is fine. I think the usable range for the unit is maybe up to 600W, and higher and you need to spin at a huge cadence.
Perfect thanks - I would be generally using the unit for steady state intervals, long vo2max (5-8mins seated) and the odd over/under session. I spend a fair bit of time on the trainer at the moment (approx 4hrs per week) with more time to come as we are expecting a baby next week... One of the things I hate about the fluid trainer is the regidity of the frame / trainer attachment it just feels unnatural.

600w should be sufficent, if my FTP were pushing 7.5w/kg's I doubt I would be spending much time on Rotorburn :wave:

Cave Dweller

Eats Squid
Perfect thanks - I would be generally using the unit for steady state intervals, long vo2max (5-8mins seated) and the odd over/under session. I spend a fair bit of time on the trainer at the moment (approx 4hrs per week) with more time to come as we are expecting a baby next week... One of the things I hate about the fluid trainer is the regidity of the frame / trainer attachment it just feels unnatural.

600w should be sufficent, if my FTP were pushing 7.5w/kg's I doubt I would be spending much time on Rotorburn :wave:
For steady state it is fine. FTP and V02 max training due to new born baby is exact reason I bought mine as well :)

The magnetic unit is probably not powerful enough for sprint interval training at 1000W but I can save those sessions for the road. I am happy to trade off a little top end power range for a quiet, non tire chewing direct mount trainer with side to side swing.

Keep us posted if anyone finds them on special again, cheapest I can see at the moment is $499 at Cycling Deal.
Check Torpedo7 once a week. They usually have it on sale every 4-6 weeks.

Mupps

Cannon Fodder
Very informative cave dweller - I am tossing up between D2R and Elite Turbo Muin (fluid based). I've tested the lemond and the road feel is amazing - but too loud for the wife too let me brung it home!

Anyone have an opinion on fluid versus direct drive magnetic (D2R)?

Grover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
FYI Cycling Express will beat Torpedo7 by 10%. They take into account Torpedo7 $80 shipping though so total at T7 now is $460, CE do $413.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
FYI Cycling Express will beat Torpedo7 by 10%. They take into account Torpedo7 $80 shipping though so total at T7 now is $460, CE do $413.
Thanks for the tip Grover, made me have another look at Cycling Express and they have it listed at $359 with free shipping. Pulled the trigger and it's on the way.

Cave Dweller

Eats Squid
Thanks for the tip Grover, made me have another look at Cycling Express and they have it listed at $359 with free shipping. Pulled the trigger and it's on the way.
That is a super good deal. I have been really happy with the trainer.

If your doing mostly steady state drills (like hold X power for 5 mins) then magnetic is fine.

stevebaker

Cannon Fodder
I had a slight issue with the aluminum inductor inside the flywheel coming loose as its just an interference fit. When it comes loose it spins around and wont generate much resistance. Instead of sending it back I just installed two grub screws and problem solved. If anyone has the same issue I can take some pictures. Just requires a drill, a tap and a grub screw.

If you have any specific questions just ask.
Hi Cave Dweller,

Firstly, great post - thank you! I modified my D2R Shadow to use with TrainerRoad and it has been great.

I have just hit this exact same issue you mention above with the inductor coming loose and losing all resistance. Could you provide more info on what you did to fix it?

Thanks

Steve

Cave Dweller

Eats Squid
Hi Cave Dweller,

Firstly, great post - thank you! I modified my D2R Shadow to use with TrainerRoad and it has been great.

I have just hit this exact same issue you mention above with the inductor coming loose and losing all resistance. Could you provide more info on what you did to fix it?

Thanks

Steve
Hi Steve, I just saw this post.

What I did was to drill a hole through the flywheel and into the inductor ring. I tapped the hole and then threaded in a stud and loctite in place. You may need to grind down the inner and outer ends of the stud, in needs to be flush or it catches on other bits of the trainer. I put one each side, 180 degrees apart, works fine.

You can also now buy an 11speed upgrade for the trainers from cycle express. I have bought one, when the cluster wears out I will change it over. https://www.cyclingexpress.com/?lan...ow-Trainer-Shimano/SRAM-11-Speed-Freehub-Body

Attachments

PsyberG

Squid
Hi Cave Dweller,

Thanks

Steve
I just got myself a D2R Shadow and am also interested in getting it into Trainer Road. I assume you need to get a magnet and ant+ pickup so that the equivalent speed is transmitted. My question is this, how does trainer road know what degree of magnetic resistance is being applied and therefore what virtual power curve to apply?

Thanks in advance

Cave Dweller

Eats Squid
I just got myself a D2R Shadow and am also interested in getting it into Trainer Road. I assume you need to get a magnet and ant+ pickup so that the equivalent speed is transmitted. My question is this, how does trainer road know what degree of magnetic resistance is being applied and therefore what virtual power curve to apply?

Thanks in advance
Not sure which resistance level you would use as this would change the speed to power relationship as you say. Maybe send trainer road an email? The D2R is listed as compatible though.

http://www.trainerroad.com/features/virtual-power

Last edited:

PsyberG

Squid
Not sure which resistance level you would use as this would change the speed to power relationship as you say. Maybe send trainer road an email? The D2R is listed as compatible though.

http://www.trainerroad.com/features/virtual-power
I read somehwere that trainer road has multiple power curves (e.g. for different resistance levels). I am just waiting for my ebay purchased magnet & ANT+ USB to arrive to investigate further.