Mogo trails - help please

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey all,

I'm currently down at Batemans bay on hols. A while back I asked for some guidance as to where to ride around Batemans and Mogo and was given the heads up on the ridge rd and dog trap roads single track. Rode part of them today and they were pretty messy after all the rain over the last few days and pretty slow going. The snake track as well as some rides around Maulbrooks rd were mentioned. Where abouts on Maulbrooks rd is the best place to start? Are there some decent xc trails/ fire trails that I can stretch my legs out on... Something with more flow than dog trap rd single...?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Klips

Likes Dirt
Maulbrooks, according to a report from this morning, is currently borderline unrideable due to how wet it's been. I'd also be cautious with all the creek crossings as they'll be more full than normal.

In terms of warmup, just start on kickstart which is downhillish and that'll warm you up fine. If it doesn't, just don't ride up the first hill so hard.

dolphinman

Likes Dirt
Turn right onto maulbrooks off the hwy Sth of Mogo. If you want a warm up, park at the end of the sealed bit and follow the dirt section until you get to the car park, shed and map, about 4ks from the end of the sealed bit. Snake track is being maintained, but don't think anyone has shovelled out there since last week. The rest of the loop will be suffering a bit I'd say as it gets less love. Plenty of other unnamed tracks that you will see to explore. Good luck.

bowtajzane

Likes Dirt
Chris, I just got back from down there and there's dozens of fire trails all over the Batemans aera to stretch your legs, Ats and the Snake track will probably be the pick out at Maulbrooks Rd after all the rain, as for more flow than Dog trap Rd, I'm not sure what your after as the trails along there are all flowing xc trails .
There seams to be no love for allot of the trails out at Maulbrooks, especially twisties, very overgrown and rocks all over the place, it's a shame as last year all the trails were all tip top

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Chris, I just got back from down there and there's dozens of fire trails all over the Batemans aera to stretch your legs, Ats and the Snake track will probably be the pick out at Maulbrooks Rd after all the rain, as for more flow than Dog trap Rd, I'm not sure what your after as the trails along there are all flowing xc trails .
There seams to be no love for allot of the trails out at Maulbrooks, especially twisties, very overgrown and rocks all over the place, it's a shame as last year all the trails were all tip top
Maybe it's my inexperience but the section of single track I rode parallel with dog trap road was anything but flowing. I guess I'm too used to faster wider trails.

bowtajzane

Likes Dirt
Maybe we're talking about different bits of trail ?
Did you start from the intersection of dog trap and Ridge Rd ?

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Maybe we're talking about different bits of trail ?
Did you start from the intersection of dog trap and Ridge Rd ?
I started just up from the intersection when I did the ridge single. I didn't go too far because every corner was muddy and there was a fair amount of water on the track. I then rode up dog trap rd and joined the track about 500m up the road where it crosses a fire trail. From here I went down into gully and then turned back. Again, the corners were muddy so I was continually losing momentum. Each persons perception of fast flowing is different. The trails I ride in Sydney are generally fire/service trails with a lot more room to maneuver. The only real comparisons I have are blackbutt forest at shellharbour and the mtb park at port Macquarie, both of which I found to flow well.

bowtajzane

Likes Dirt
Sounds like you just lucked out with the trail conditions, in the dry the Dog trap trails are very good, next time
instead of joining the trail where you did, start at the intersection where one trail goes along Ridge and the other
follows Dog trap, I think it's call abalone or something like that, by the way I'm not having a go at you or the type
of trails you ride. ........
Grant

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sounds like you just lucked out with the trail conditions, in the dry the Dog trap trails are very good, next time
instead of joining the trail where you did, start at the intersection where one trail goes along Ridge and the other
follows Dog trap, I think it's call abalone or something like that, by the way I'm not having a go at you or the type
of trails you ride. ........
Grant
Hey Grant no offence taken, I know you were trying to help. BTW, I rode there again today.did the ridge rd track a few times and apart from some deep rutted sections a few k in it wasn't bad. The 2nd time I actually enjoyed. I took a fire trail towards the end that took me to the highway. I'll explore a bit more tomorrow.

Cheers
Chris.

bowtajzane

Likes Dirt
Chris, good to hear you had better conditions today, hopefully the rain will hold off for you to
get in some more k's tomorrow
The track along Ridge Rd is pretty good but after a couple of k's it really starts to become hard slog,
it definitely needs some TLC
I wonder who the trail fairies are in that part of the woods?

Klips

Likes Dirt
My understanding is that a fair bit of the work done down that was is courtesy of the guys at the Moruya bike shop, maybe drop in and get the local d/l there?