Mogo XC trails. Anybody know what state they are in?

burnside97

Likes Dirt
I was thinking about heading down to mogo for the day around new years. Anybody know if they are rideable after the damage from the angry doc weekend? also would anybody know of some good instructions of how to get on to the tracks? cheers

top_oz_bloke

Likes Dirt
Funny, I just asked exactly the same thing.

See the guys at Moruya Bike Shop for more info but the comment passed to me was that all the favourite trails have been opened.

Knopey

Likes Dirt
Just went through there on the way from CBR to Bateman's Bay.

On the Western side, at least half are still closed according to the information bulletin board. We tried to follow the "ATST" (?) track down but, apart from the first bit, it was largely closed/ususable due to fallen timber. If you know your way around there you might be able to make a good enough run of it but we were tired and couldn't explore properly to see how it all linked up (if at all) so ended up mostly having to stick to Maulbrooks Rd.

On the Eastern side of Mogo, there were a couple of good options off Dog Trap Rd which were in good nick. Due to failling light we didn't explore more, but I got the impression that's the side to go to at the moment. Could be wrong.

top_oz_bloke

Likes Dirt
ok, I had a chance to explore yesterday...

I downloaded trail logs for the 07, 08 and 09 doctors for guidance.

The area to the east of the highway seems largely clear. There were a few big trees down that you need to negotiate but really we are talking half a dozen in 15-20km so its not to bad. The little section of single trail linking to Deep Creek Rd is only semi passable.

West of the highway is a different story. The course I was following crossed over the power line easement then it was very tough going. It took an hour to get 2km but I was trying to clear a lot of the smaller stuff as I was going. It needs someone with a chainsaw to take out the big stuff. I bailed as soon as I hit a major rd.

If that section is representative of the rest of the west side then it's not that great at all.

More exploring planned for tomorrow.

pharcyde

Likes Bikes and Dirt
On Monday, I rode Maulbrooks Rd MTB park and found only the Swamp Track badly blocked and bailed onto Maulbrooks Rd, fearing Sheaoak and Snack Track would be same.

From what the board says, Wiggles is also closed.

The track in general is in VERY good nick and great fun. Just the downed trees that limit the fun in some sections.

I will return for sure.

top_oz_bloke

Likes Dirt
I have been having a bit more of a look around. Basically everything is fine on the eastern side of the highway. A few downed trees on some of the fire trails but a lot of it you can ride around.

Some trail fairies got in there the other day and cleared some of the worst bits of the first 50 of the AD course so most of it is now pretty ridable.....

I've been exploring the area where they run the second 50 and it's slow going because of the amount of trees down. Approx 20km of the '08 course is semi ridable as I've been clearing what I can as I go but it needs some guys in there with chainsaws. I am going to check out the second 30 tomorrow.

I was told the snake track is open.

Anyone planning to go in there needs to bear in mind there are parts of the forest that looks pretty unstable with trees hung up in other trees etc.

Rambler

Likes Dirt
Where do you start...and where does it take you on the east side...is it labelled like the west side?
The east side is not labelled like the west. You need to be able to smell the singletrack out! From what i remember, go up dog trap road in Mogo. Its a sustained fireroad climb! At the top of the climb keep your eye out for singletrack on the right hand side. This singletrack, after swooping down to near tomakin road will will bring you back up to dog track road again close to where you entered the singletrack. Up the firetrail, no more than 100m-200m I think on the left hand side there is more singletrack. It was opposite bee hives last time I was there. This piece of track brings you out at the highway. PS- I rode it the day of the ill fated Doctor and apart from some sections which had trees down, most was very rideable at a leisurely pace. No doubt it has improved since then.

Last edited:

top_oz_bloke

Likes Dirt
TBH the only way I'm finding my way around is by following the AD course using a GPS.

I reckon it could get a bit frustrating otherwise because there are all sorts of old bits of forest roads etc which aren't marked on topo maps or anything.

The corner of Dog Trap rd and The Ridge Rd might an easy starting point. It looks like a trail runs parallel to Dog Trap Rd (western side - I haven't ridden this bit) and continues along The Ridge Rd (South side) then crosses over and heads down beside a powerline easement before coming out on Old Malua Bay Rd. Head S and take the next fire trail on the RHS which heads backwards up a hill. The trails start approx half way up the hill and wiggles around for a bit. When you make your way back to Old Malua Bay Rd there is more trail running parallel to it.

If you can then find your way to the highway then you can link across from the powerline easement to Runnyford Rd. Then Salt Water Rd is open and clear, Cabbage Tree Gully Rd,then Gravel Rd back to Mogo. All forest roads but its a nice area to ride in. There is some single track that heads left from Cabbage Tree Gully Rd and joins to Gravel Rd if you keep your eyes open, all clear except for one fallen tree.

chokolatrush

Likes Bikes
Mogo Trails

The east side is not labelled like the west. You need to be able to smell the singletrack out! From what i remember, go up dog trap road in Mogo. Its a sustained fireroad climb! At the top of the climb keep your eye out for singletrack on the right hand side. This singletrack, after swooping down to near tomakin road will will bring you back up to dog track road again close to where you entered the singletrack. Up the firetrail, no more than 100m-200m I think on the left hand side there is more singletrack. It was opposite bee hives last time I was there. This piece of track brings you out at the highway. PS- I rode it the day of the ill fated Doctor and apart from some sections which had trees down, most was very rideable at a leisurely pace. No doubt it has improved since then.
Thanks guys...we ended up having a look at the West side...Trails were in great nick. A few trails still closed...we had a look at the thru trail and wow...those storms sure packed a punch! We bypassed the other closed trails (Swamp and Sheoak) and went up and down the Snake track a few times...awesome.

Klips

Likes Dirt
Super dig:

Trails on the west are in decent nick now, however the dam road/pistol shot road loop is out of action for the foreseeable future due to logging. Snake track lived up to all the hype the guys at home had told me, just a really fun, flowing section with some great berms. There's a couple of climbs that are a challenge with the ruts in them, but nothing particularly out of the ordinary.

Hornsby

Likes Dirt
East side Mogo trails

Just thought I'd post an update on the single track in Mogo SF. The tracks on the east side which run from the junction of Ridge and Dog Trap roads are in great condition and now continue all the way to Mogo trig road where you can exit and ride up to the trig and continue along Dog Trap rd or you can now continue down beside the Trig road to the highway. I rode along Dog Trap Rd to the junction with Mitchells Rd and went down the trail which starts on the south side of the junction and this just f&$!ing rocked. I'd even go as far to say it is more fun than the mighty Snake trail. The ride back up the fire road was tough however it did get me back to the sweet ST beside Dog Trap road.

All in I rode for 2 hours and rode some of the sweetest ST available and at least 60% of my time and 70%of my distance was spent on ST, and I could've ridden more except I'm currently too fat and unfit to ride it all at once.