Monarch Plus (RC3) service

Yet1

Likes Dirt
Hello,

Given my shock is now about a year old, I thought I would do the basic air can service - new seals/bushings/oil etc. I have rebuilt Fox shocks in the past with no worries, never touched a rock shox one before. So I watched 'how to videos' and the guidance on the Sram website. Seemed to be pretty much the same process.

So I went to unscrew the aircan - this was just spinning on the spot - due to it having the 'debonaire' outer sleeve, I figured. So I removed this sleeve easily enough, then tried to unscrew the can underneath. I could not get this to budge, even using a rubber strap wrench.

Am I doing something wrong? the videos on you tube show it all coming off very easily, even with the debonaire can still attached. Any advice would be appreciated.

Z

Zaf

Lefty Loosey, Righty Tighty.
I'm gonna suggest that you're being a big wimp and need to strap wrench it with some real gusto!!

Film results.

Z

Zaf

I was also thinking, if it's this hard to move:
  • strap wrench around inner can then fix wrench into a vice
  • find a square socket the securely fits the top eyelet
  • fit socket to rattle-gun
  • hit record and pull trigger

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Use something to give the strap wrench some purchase. Stick a latex glove between the strap anc can, or some masking tepe. It shouldn’t be too tight...

Yet1

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the replies - looks like I need to really lean on it then. Will have another go..

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
I had a similiar problem. My rubber strap wrench was sliding around the can without enough grip.
Couple things to try....
Spray some brake cleaner or iso alcohol on the can & the rubber strap to remove any slippery residues.
If that doesn't do it, try a few different rags between the strap & can.
My clean rag bin has all sorts of different textiles in it....with different friction characteristics.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I had a similiar problem. My rubber strap wrench was sliding around the can without enough grip.
Couple things to try....
Spray some brake cleaner or iso alcohol on the can & the rubber strap to remove any slippery residues.
If that doesn't do it, try a few different rags between the strap & can.
My clean rag bin has all sorts of different textiles in it....with different friction characteristics.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

isn't that the hall cupboard?