Monarch RT3 internal knocking noise

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have a Monarch Rt3 shock (standard version without outer can) and after about 3 months use has developed a metallic knocking noise when compressed and released. I'm guessing it is the damper and if so would probably be a warranty job. Anyone else had this issue? Are there any quick fixes?

Thanks
CC

SummitFever

Eats Squid
No quick fixes unless the knock is a worn bushing or loose mounting bolt etc. If not, they are "relatively" easy to service yourself but if its still under warranty then best bet is to send it back.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
What summit said. I'd guess the piston bolt is loose. If metal shavings have been generated, it's all for the bin.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Had a Monarch RT do something similar - a small clunking noise as it got near maximum extension. It was fixed by SRAM under warranty and wasn't an issue since. They never told me what it was, as I don't think they found the problem. Possibly air in the damper?

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Had a Monarch RT do something similar - a small clunking noise as it got near maximum extension. It was fixed by SRAM under warranty and wasn't an issue since. They never told me what it was, as I don't think they found the problem. Possibly air in the damper?
Air makes big sqishy noises, and if the shock is orientated air can up, the noise is at the beginning of the stroke when the piston is inside the air.

Last edited:

moman

Likes Dirt
If sram won't warranty or fix it (they are normally really good) talk to Simon at MTB suspension centre in Sydney. My shock did exactly the same thing and I checked every bit of the linkage I could before I took it to them to get the shim stack changed. While he was in there he fixed it. He said it was a small plate in the damper which has grooves on it. He filed down the grooves a bit and it was fixed (I think this is what he said hahaha). In any case it is now completely silent.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If sram won't warranty or fix it (they are normally really good) talk to Simon at MTB suspension centre in Sydney. My shock did exactly the same thing and I checked every bit of the linkage I could before I took it to them to get the shim stack changed. While he was in there he fixed it. He said it was a small plate in the damper which has grooves on it. He filed down the grooves a bit and it was fixed (I think this is what he said hahaha). In any case it is now completely silent.
I stripped it down and gave it a basic service (clean and some grease).I nototiced the bottom out plate and o ring on the damper shaft and thought hmmm! So, I shoved some extra grease around it and whilst riding around on the street and bouncing up and down it was fairly quiet. I'll see how it goes!

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Mine's doing this now (knocking):

Thought it might be something else so I stripped the rear end down - it's the shock.

Now to weigh up the options...

SummitFever

Eats Squid
I think the collective wisdom on this issue is that its air in the damper. Just give it a service. You'll need the full service kit, some oil and the monarch IFP fill adapter.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Reckon I could service it with my rudimentary skills at home? I did manage to do a full service on the Pike Charger damper...

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Yes hifi you can. Rs service manual is comprehensive. Buy the full service kit, the ifp adapter and you’re set.

Then once you’ve done a full service and comfortable, you can enter the world of changing the tune if you want/need to.