Mondraker Foxy v canyon spectral ?

mrjubei

Squid
I have the Spectral CF 9.0 EX - I've only had it for a few weeks and so far only have good things to say about it.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

MarioM

Likes Dirt
Going by what people say about both , its down to your choice . I have a Foxy , beautiful bike . Support is there from the great folk at Flowbikes .
I think in this day it would be hard pressed to get a shit trail bike . Obviously from the long list available you have narrowed down to theses two , is that right ?
If not get out there and test ride some other offerings , there`s a lot of bang for buck out there now .

MarioM

Likes Dirt
Can't test the Canyon AFAIK
Thats a hard one to get around for sure . Do you take the gamble only to find you hate the bike ? How many times does that happen ? I guess you just have to read every review positive and negative .
Robbie , how many bikes have you test ridden and have you managed to ride a Mondraker yet ? Probably more to the point where are you , as with some living in remoter areas you can be limited to what is in your LBS if you have one .

robbieraver

Likes Dirt
Ive riden more bikes than hot dinners...and choice from LBS is not a problem...

Ive narrowed it down to 2 from many in the 140mm range and these 2 fit what im after. I really dont care how they look or what its made of(with in reason and opening a can off worms but that is not the issue here) what counts is geometry and suspension design, i will be building up frame only.

Just want some feed back from owners of both.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Ive riden more bikes than hot dinners...

....what counts is geometry and suspension design
Have you ridden either of the mondraker or the canyon ? If not, it's tough to judge how the geo and suspension design actually ride for you. Numbers and reviews don't always gel with expectations.

Ultimately, they'll both be great rigs in all likelihood so long as they fit. Go with the one that makes you more excited (tingles down there and stuff)

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Have you ridden either of the mondraker or the canyon ? If not, it's tough to judge how the geo and suspension design actually ride for you. Numbers and reviews don't always gel with expectations.

Ultimately, they'll both be great rigs in all likelihood so long as they fit. Go with the one that makes you more excited (tingles down there and stuff)
Get on to Anton Faqwahwah, here on RB, he's always banging on about Mondraker demos, shirly he could sort something out for you. Ride it, if it blows your mind buy it. If not, decide if taking a punt on the unknown canyon is worth it.

robbieraver

Likes Dirt
Well there arw 2 hot dinners ive not had...foxy and spectral..but yes your right number dont do shite until youve riden it...im on a 120mm alloy trail beast and it rips better than any bike ive riden and the numbers arnt that great it just works...

Which one makes me tingle down there...im just going to bite the bullet soon and buy one. As for a test ride on the foxy i cant get to them when they are near my way in melb..

MarioM

Likes Dirt
Well there arw 2 hot dinners ive not had...foxy and spectral..but yes your right number dont do shite until youve riden it...im on a 120mm alloy trail beast and it rips better than any bike ive riden and the numbers arnt that great it just works...

Which one makes me tingle down there...im just going to bite the bullet soon and buy one. As for a test ride on the foxy i cant get to them when they are near my way in melb..
Do you ride a moto trail bike ? With the Foxy you`re basically looking straight down the front wheel / fork which can be a little like WTF ? , was for me when I first test rode . A dropper on this bike is mandatory . Forward geometry is awesome when you learn to ride the bike , yes I said that , took me a little while to get used to it . Linked an article that sums it up well from mountain bike australias John Hardwick . I move around on this bike more than any other I`ve owned and its so enjoyable . For me the suspension seems limitless I have never bottomed it out , yet to try a downhill run on it , but both orings have always been on the limit on the gnarlier tracks ridden . What else can I tell you ? Regardless of what people say a 140 mm bike will climb well enough but definately not like an XC rig . If your`e going for frame only get the 30mm stem also , its what the frames are designed for ( also 10 by request ) . The bike begs to be pushed hard and when you do you are rewarded with stability and a bike that eats it all up . My mates say that it looks like the bike just glides over everything . I love the aliveness of the trail through the bike , something I`ve not experienced before . Contact Paul Walton ( Fab Barels ex mechanic / manager ) or Anton Fourie and see if they can hook you up a ride down there as someone is sure to own one in Vic . If I can answer any other questions you might have let me know .

http://www.mtbiking.com.au/bike/mondraker-foxy-xr

MarioM

Likes Dirt
That's an informative review, Mario - thanks for pointing it out.
I`ve said it before I`ll say again , I don`t think you`ll buy a shit trail bike now , correct me if I`m wrong , every one has brought their A game to the table . From Avanti ( have one too - technically an XC rig - Vapour ) to Zerode the offerings now compared to lets say 3 years ago are chalk and cheese . I`d like to say that it will get better but I think it all comes in stages , so maybe stagnate now for a year or three and then the next revolution will come in and we`ll have this same discussion .

For me to upgrade the Foxy now , a few mods along the way latest being 1 x 10 , would be to a Dune and that would only be due to a catastrophic frame failure but lifetime frame warranty takes care of that I guess .

If you are contemplating a Mondraker, want a test ride and you are in the Wollongong area feel free to PM me . Its a small and if you don`t mind my brakes run reverse . And just a cheeky to the other thread Evo CTD rocks !

haltz

Likes Dirt
I`ve said it before I`ll say again , I don`t think you`ll buy a shit trail bike now , correct me if I`m wrong , every one has brought their A game to the table . From Avanti ( have one too - technically an XC rig - Vapour ) to Zerode the offerings now compared to lets say 3 years ago are chalk and cheese . I`d like to say that it will get better but I think it all comes in stages , so maybe stagnate now for a year or three and then the next revolution will come in and we`ll have this same discussion .

For me to upgrade the Foxy now , a few mods along the way latest being 1 x 10 , would be to a Dune and that would only be due to a catastrophic frame failure but lifetime frame warranty takes care of that I guess .

If you are contemplating a Mondraker, want a test ride and you are in the Wollongong area feel free to PM me . Its a small and if you don`t mind my brakes run reverse . And just a cheeky to the other thread Evo CTD rocks !
That's a pretty good point, cant go too wrong! I love my moonraper (dune not foxy) but if there's one thing I've noticed about them, this includes the foxy, they're not a relaxed riders trail bike. They work amazingly when you're on the gas but if you're just up for a Sunday cruise to be completely honest they feel like crap. How ever they do kind of state them selves when they say "for riders that like to attack the trail" which is sweet but sometimes you just wanna be friends

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

tmc_2

Likes Dirt
I have a Dune and a Factor and just bought a Spectral for my partner.
I recommend test riding and assessing what you want the bike to do.
Nothing steam trains through rough stuff and gives you confidence to send jumps like the mondraker. However on flatter trails in my area the front can be vague unless you learn to adapt. Its not the lazy riders bikes. I've decided to run my Dune for enduro event and gravity tracks and now buying myself a spectral for lazy/fun trail rides.
The guys at Flow bikes are super helpful