Mondraker Foxy

MarioM

Likes Dirt
Picked this up today ! Mondraker Foxy base model . Test ride was good but only really got to ride it in mud so took it a bit easy , climbs really well for a big bike and the descents I took it on the bike really ate them up . Even though some of the bits are lower spec it all worked really well together and I was surprised with the crisp shifting of the X5 sram pods . Now to get some balls and really learn to ride it . First thing tomorrow will be tubeless setup and then some frame protection followed by a dropper purchase .

Attachments

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Great bike mate! I ride a dune at Stromlo recently and was blown away how good it felt.

ktastrphe

Likes Dirt
Nice bike mate. I have the crafty and very very happy with it even though not carbon or high spec like yours. Long wheel base on the forward geometry, but that hasnt slowed me down in tight stuff. await your review too!

MarioM

Likes Dirt
Update

Well some interesting times on this some good and some bad . Tubeless setup done . I put a frame skin on , not a job for people who don`t have a lot of patience . Once I did that I went for my second ride and managed to fold the front wheel on the first trail . Not being used to the wide bars I clipped a tree which then threw me OTB and I guess the front wheel dug in real hard and I suppose it did not like the force applied so it folded . I got up to tyre off the rim sealant everywhere and many curses to myself for being a fuckwit . Off to find another wheel .
My x fusion dropper arrived from DIYMTB but was too long . Frame design does not allow for long posts . Me being the short arse I am I don`t have the leg length , so being on a budget I decided to get a DNM dropper , yes thats right DNM . I have to say though it works really well after putting it through its paces on Sunday . The X fusion is now on the XC bike .
As far as the ride is concerned , I rode Kentlyn on Wednesday night ( dropper had still not arrived ) and the bike handled everything well drops , climbs , technical features . Can`t wait to ride this at Appin . After years of riding the XC race bikes at a lot of technical places from bouncing all over the place to going to the Foxy with its calm approach to any obstacles and its amazing stability I`m hoping to take my riding up a level . I just have to learn with the bike . The ardents are nice and grippy and I think I will settle at 24 psi front and back , seems right .
Its first GE event will be next weekend , hopefully I will survive .

Attachments

MarioM

Likes Dirt
So the Foxy now has an MRP 2X chain guide and a type 2 derailleur fitted . I`m getting more and more comfortable on this bike and loving its control in the rough techy stuff . The DNM dropper is working a treat - has not let me down once . I seem to have smashed one cleat side straight off the RH mallet ( the ancient ones ) so have ordered a set of mallet 2`s .
I do seem to scare myself sometimes by letting this bike go when it starts to get fast and rough down but the confidence it gives me just makes me want to let it go more but as I said to a mate " I did not buy this to be faster ( I have an XC bike for that ) I bought it for the stability and playfulness it gives me to ride the more technical trails that I want to ride " . Slowly I`m starting to hit some jumps , nothing big at the moment but the more I do the more I want .
The only upgrade I want to do is to put some guide brakes on so hopefully Santa is nice to me this year .

Attachments

MarioM

Likes Dirt
Todays ride at an empty Appin . Mallet 2`s working sweet . Why do descents always lose steepness in a photo ? Anyway its always nice to ride the trails by yourself . No one can see you being a gumby . One plus for today was no crashes , although I almost forgot about the bridge .

Attachments

NeoNasty

Likes Dirt
Looks good. I like the black and green. Thats some crap luck going over the bars first day. I did the exact thing when I replaced my bars on the hardtail. I forgot to allow for the extra 150mm between trees and took a tumble. I busted two spokes on the rear wheel as it flipped.

Hows the DNM dropper treating you? I was suspicious of them and have held off buying one for my Spec Enduro.

Which model did you buy?

MarioM

Likes Dirt
Looks good. I like the black and green. Thats some crap luck going over the bars first day. I did the exact thing when I replaced my bars on the hardtail. I forgot to allow for the extra 150mm between trees and took a tumble. I busted two spokes on the rear wheel as it flipped.

Hows the DNM dropper treating you? I was suspicious of them and have held off buying one for my Spec Enduro.

Which model did you buy?
The DNM works a treat . I got the HQS-R from cycling deal in melbourne . http://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/dnm-mountain-bike-dropper-seatpost-remote-lockout/HQS-R
I`d already overspent getting the bike so I thought I would try it out . It gets used a lot and not one problem so far , no movement in the post that some seem to suffer. Another burner has one , Lazmo i think it is , and he rates his also .

MarioM

Likes Dirt
A few changes of late . After axing the front wheel I got a giant rim to keep me going only 19 ID but still going strong . On a wing and a prayer I picked up a carbon rim from facebook knowing it had been repaired . Worth a shot for a 30 ID and cheap as chips , hell why not give it a go . Had it built and only after my second ride after a few drop offs at Appin did it crack again . Being only a few k into the ride the decision was made to keep going . No more drops but kept it pinned even through rock gardens and it held . Really loved the way the wide rim transformed the whole feel of the bike and bagged the 2.4 ardent . Every turn was like super glue . But after that I don`t think I will return to carbon wheels at all .
A WTB I 25 wheel came up and could not say no too and when the centrelock adaptor came from Pushy`s its all fitted up and feels great - yet to ride , but it also bags the tyre nicely .

A deal came through for a Guide RS full package brake set . 200 front rotor with 180 rear bedded in nicely after trimming the rear line and bleeding . First ride was very interesting not having ridden quad piston brakes before . Found myself overbraking on the first ride but getting a better handle on them after the second ride . The modulation on these is incredible and when you really need to stop they oblige amazingly . Previously where I have taken a drop with a sharp turn I have had to haul on the brakes to get around sometimes not being able to , these are just a slight lever pull and you`re back in control .

I`m really loving this bike and lamenting the knowledge that the XC bike has to come back out again for a season of racing . Oh well , I`ll offset that feeling by doing some #endurobro as well staring next weekend at Ourimbah .

Attachments