Mongoose Black Diamond Singles

Doggy

Inconceivable!
I have been looking at the BD single or double as another bike to my Sasquatch. Looking for a dually that will be able to handle our downhill trails but still be able to ride all day around other trails....most importantly not going to cost me an arm and a leg. The BD seems to fit bill nicely, 170mm travel in the rear, 150mm travel in the front and alright spec gear on it:

FRAME: Mongoose Freedrive Extreme 6061 Aluminum w/ Patented Floating BB, Replaceable 135mm QR Dropouts & Disc Mount, Adjustable 6.5/7.5” Travel

FORK/SHOCK: Marzocchi Drop Off 3 w/ Air Preload & Rebound Adjust, 150mm Travel; Manitou Metel RP Coilover w/ Piggy Back Reservoir, Platform and Rebound Adjust
DRIVETRAIN: 16-Speed w/ SRAM SX-5 Rear & Shimano Alivio Front Derailleurs, SRAM X-7 Trigger Shifters; Truvativ Ruktion 24/36 Crankset w/ External Bearings
BRAKES: Hayes Sole Hydraulic Disc w/ V-7 7” Rotors
WHEELS: Sun Ditch Witch Rims w/ 32h Alloy Disc Hubs, Kenda Nevegal 2.5” Tires
COCKPIT: Truvativ Husseflet 31.8mm Bar/Stem, Titec Knockscoper I-Beam Post & SDG Bel Air ST Saddle

The only thing Im not real fussed on is the Sole brakes but apart from that would suit nicely I think, it feels to me as though it has an extremely high BB height on the large frame but other than that is was quite comfy, Im 6'2 and 100kgs so I dont think a medium will cut it??. Weight isnt really a concern as my Sasquatch weighs 20kgs and I ride that most of the day. What are others experience with the black diamond series of bikes, any pro's or con's that you have found/ heard of
Cheers

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
my mates got a 05 BD Double is a really nice bike handles well takes hit nicely even with the stance flows, but beware of the hinge points they keep coming loose, i would wait for the new black diamonds to come out though the look totally awesome

santa-claws

Banned
i recommend any of them.
the freedrive system works a treat, i rode a bd double & it honestly pedaled like a hardtail.
;)

downhiller_1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i've got a bds and its mad. race downhill on on it like a breese and you can ride it round all day. some rides that i do with my mates are up to 70 km and its easy. the freedrive sysytem is the best the fast and best pedeling efficence i have ever riden

Doggy

Inconceivable!
Thanks for the tips guys. I have tried a large BD single and a medium BD single on for size. I felt the large was just to high but the medium, although rather comfy felt a bit cramped up a bit....but that might have more to do with me coming of my sasquatch which is quite roomy
Most likely gonna go with the medium as I found an 06 model in the runout sales and managed to score a $150 XC style helmet with it if I buy it, already have a full face and my current XC helmet has a nice crack in it....works out quite well

Doggy

Inconceivable!
Well, I bought a medium '06 BD single this arvo....grab it in a couple of weeks so I cant wait:D . I was really keen to buy the Brodie Devo with the blinging white Marzocchi 888's on it but it was just a weeee bit out of my price range:mad: . I think the only things I will do is to change the brakes from 7" hayes soles to juicys or such and add a dual ring chain guide. Will probably swap my Intense Mag30 rim of my sassie onto it as well and put the ditch witch rims on the sassie, will see how it goes:)