Mongoose frame warranty?

nampla

Likes Bikes
I've found a nasty crack in the frame of my old trusty Mongoose Rockadile LTD. I believe the frames are covered by lifetime warranty (I do have the original invoice and all the paperwork). The bike shop I've bought it from is long gone, and it looks like Pacific Cycle is representing Mongoose in Australia. I've emailed them, but wonder if anybody have a first-hand experience with such claims.
Many thanks,

nampla

Likes Bikes
Not quite 20, but 16 for sure! Had other bikes after it,but kept using this one as a commuter/road bike a few times every week . Liked it and thought that with good care it will last forever :-(.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Most 'lifetime' warranties refer to the lifetime of the product, not the span of the owner's life.

I suspect a 16~20 year old mountain bike could reasonably be said to have passed the point where the manufacturer needs to honour a claim.

Still, they can only say no...

nampla

Likes Bikes
I thought something similar as well. But I do have all the paperwork from the purchase, and the warranty booklet says that their frames are under warranty - "as long as the bicycle is owned by the original owner" :)

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Most 'lifetime' warranties refer to the lifetime of the product, not the span of the owner's life.
I thought something similar as well. But I do have all the paperwork from the purchase, and the warranty booklet says that their frames are under warranty - "as long as the bicycle is owned by the original owner" :)
This is the standard definition of "lifetime" warranty.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Maybe time to upgrade to a used Mongoose IBOC Pro frame. They were quite nice around that era.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
From the Mongoose website:

https://www.mongoose.com/usa/terms-and-conditions/

"A lifetime warranty on your frame does not guarantee that the product will last forever. The length of the useful life cycle will vary depending on the type of bike, riding conditions and care the bicycle receives. Competition, jumping, downhill racing, trick riding, trial riding, riding in severe conditions or climates, riding with heavy loads or any other non-standard use can substantially shorten the useful product life cycle. Any one or a combination of these conditions may result in an unpredictable failure that is not covered by this warranty.

All bicycles and frame sets should be periodically checked by an authorized dealer for indications of potential problems, inappropriate use or abuse. These are important safety checks and are very important to help prevent accidents, bodily injury to the rider and shortened useful product life cycle."

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Corn is popping! Will be interested to see how this turns out. Great chance for mongose to go well beyond and stick to the competition.

nampla

Likes Bikes
Yes, thanks Tubbsy, have noticed that and this is certainly a wiggle-out of anything kind of clause.
It is just sad suddenly loosing the bike I liked and used a lot. :(

John U

MTB Precision
Maybe time to upgrade to a used Mongoose IBOC Pro frame. They were quite nice around that era.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk
My first decent MTB was an IBOC SX. Full LX, Judy XC’s. Nice bike. I discovered a small crack in the bottom of the head tube when the bike was about 3 years old. The distributor replaced the frame with a low end frame.

This was all pre 2000. The responses seem to be much better these days. The problem Nampla is going to run into is all the changed standards. Even if they give him a frame it is unlikely to take any of his parts.

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I dunno, seems almost mean to try and claim warranty on it. I'd feel guilty unless all the cost came from the CEO's pay.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
My first decent MTB was an IBOC SX. Full LX, Judy XC’s. Nice bike. I discovered a small crack in the bottom of the head tube when the bike was about 3 years old. The distributor replaced the frame with a low end frame.

This was all pre 2000. The responses seem to be much better these days. The problem Nampla is going to run into is all the changed standards. Even if they give him a frame it is unlikely to take any of his parts.
I had a friend that rode an IBOC PRO for quite some time in the era of rigid forks. It had Deore DX and looked pretty nice and was great to ride. Swapping for lower spec frame is bit of bummer.

@nampla is now in club retro like it or not. Pity Mongoose have been demoted to department store big box bikes now.

safreek

I dunno, seems almost mean to try and claim warranty on it. I'd feel guilty unless all the cost came from the CEO's pay.
Nar, offer a life time warranty to the original purchaser I say honour it.
Better yet give him a cheapo bike to show what legends they are.
Gooo mongoose

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
All I can say is " Jesus fuckin Christ "
That would buy me many many bikes
Have a look at what I posted in bargain buy section
115 bids already and 9 days to go is wack. Retro goes nuts sometimes.

I just checked the Cyclesoups https://www.cyclesoups.com/
Something is up there or it is the bargain of the decade. I'm tempted to Paypal a Siskiu right now. Wow....