Mont 24 Hour. Tell us your stories

Dazzo

Likes Dirt
Yeah, I'd go with a strong accent, could be Colombian. Yeah I was feeling for your mate, he was rooted. I was considering ripping off a finger to give him but knowing now that he's vego that would have been a total waste. Did he end up going out again?
He sure did get back out there, had a snooze and a descent amount of carbs and he recovered pretty well. His next lap was back under 1 hour again - cheaky bastard!

mrbailey

Likes Bikes
I didn't see that but I did hear about. But I did see the young bloke come in on the 12 inch kids bike, with the very long seat pole. 2 hours and 20 minutes was pretty impressive for a tiny bike with little cranks.
On my final lap I saw the unicycle then moments later saw the kids bike. Couldn't believe my eyes, I had to double check the contents of my water bottle.

Top event. Considering numbers were at least 3 times larger than any other event I've been to everything flowed very well. Except for the line at the coffee van. ;)

FatGuts

Likes Dirt
hi did anyone else see the guy doing a night lap on a unicycle if so did he do the whole lap?
i know i was tired but i'm pretty sure i wasn't seeing things..... i hope...

Yep, I saw him parked up letting people through but I am sure that was on the dawn lap. Unicycles are nothing new, one kicked my arse in the Three Ringes Circus a few years back.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Yep, I saw him parked up letting people through but I am sure that was on the dawn lap. Unicycles are nothing new, one kicked my arse in the Three Ringes Circus a few years back.
I wouldn't be admitting you got beat by a unicycle.......

I have to say the drummer and guitar were a genius idea - it was so far out of left field. I didn't get to hear the dummer but I remember climbing Love Child thinking it was just a loud stereo then thinking there's a lot of guitar in this track then as I got to the corner - wtf!? there's a dude playing guitar in the middle of the forest. At the time I passed he was playing Hendrixy\bluesy styled stuff so I was getting into it and enjoying the climb. Well done who ever thought that up.

rangie

Likes Dirt
Ouch! Hope he, his, bike, lights etc are ok.

Hospitals at that time can be a major bummer unless you are dead or dying :-(

Femur sounds nasty to put it mildly!

Wow - some story.

Our race was ticking over pretty ok (considering none of us had done much training) - we (over 40s 4-man) were in the 1'06" to 1'11" min lap time & moved into the night laps looking forward to the cold when our big gun Seb pulled out to overtake someone & went down hard.

Result: dislocated shoulder, which wasn't put back in place until 2am at Canberra hospital. Took the wind out of our sails so we called it quits at 2am. Poor Seb. He was back at camp at 11am looking a little sore :-( I feel most sorry for the poor bloke who fractured his femur. Ouch!

Still a mightily enjoyable & professionally run event.

I got the call up on wednesday night after a mate had to pull out. Only been back on my bike for a week and a half after a two year break and surgery four weeks prior. I can honestly say great race. Posted laps (only 3) of around the 1hr 30 mark but had a great time. Deffinatly doing it again next year!!!!!

dcrofty

Eats Squid
Can any locals or those in the know let me know who the photogs on track were? There were heaps and I'd like to see what shots they got, might grab a couple if they turn out OK.
Anyone? there where a heap of photographers on course. Only know about the official one so far but there has to be others.

FatGuts

Likes Dirt
Anyone? there where a heap of photographers on course. Only know about the official one so far but there has to be others.
Aurora Images are the oficcial Mob, they usually take a week, none up as yet: http://www.auroraimages.com.au/index.php?category=gallery/events/mtb&start=0

Adam Wozniak took some good shots:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/....206302166141922.37199.126345960804210&type=1

Here are some others too:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.ph....320754214655236.78004.136475599749766&type=1

crummy?

Likes Dirt
12"er, stories and the Vid.

Have an exclusive interview with the 12" bike rider at Enduro Pulse.

My previous 24hr team of four effort was the catalyst to solo 24, I remember clearly as if it was yesterday. We completed laps as fast as we could, had our 5W on the front lighting up the trail during the night, in the end we were spent, exhausted (our efforts had placed us about 50th) and all vowed never to do that again. But there I was, six years on, filling a spot with a familiar bunch of faces, team of four, back at Kowen and with 24hrs to fill.

Read all the fun I had, not solo 24ing but in a team of 4, here.

And my Mont Video.

Phew!

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
Reading this thread makes me wonder why I've wasted my time racing DH for the best part of a decade... !!:very_drunk:

Ive had an unshakable grin through the entire thread, excpet the kidneystones part, but elation wasn't far away! I have to give this a crack one day!

FatGuts

Likes Dirt
Reading this thread makes me wonder why I've wasted my time racing DH for the best part of a decade... !!:very_drunk:

Ive had an unshakable grin through the entire thread, excpet the kidneystones part, but elation wasn't far away! I have to give this a crack one day!
I have a mate who only rides DH, he described it as "while you were out trying to enduce a heart attatck........" in an email convo we were having.

hiredassassin

Likes Dirt
Best Mont Ever

No 'stories' to tell, but I still have that great post race elation thing going on so it must have been good!

I only found out I was going about a week before the event and we did it as a team of 4 when we normally race 6s but we all had a ball, we came in 178th overall or 59th in 4s.

Loved the course - front 9, rolling thunder, sideshow, beer garden, aunty flow and last call were all outstanding bits of track.

Was also my first enduro on a 29er and I'm hooked, that's one fun and grippy bike!

Ben_M

Likes Bikes
Got my video GoPro on a stick video done, enjoy.

[video=youtube;J3STbHi9RqA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3STbHi9RqA&feature=youtu.be[/video]