Mont Wrap Up

A totally enjoyable weekend, great track, nice weather, camping next the car was a real bonus - especially when it came time to pack up..

Our team rode steady and incident free, but was a little off the pace in the six man catorgory, finishing 11th/12th - have to wait for the results to be posted.

After a number of frustrating years at Kowen, my enthusiam as been re ignited..

nicho

Sacré bleu!
It was my first mont race ever. I really enjoed everything about it. It wouldn t keep me away from dhing but i could definitely see myself do it on top of dh racing. well worth the effort of not riding on my own bike and having my first night ride ever during my night double laps.
Our team came fourth in the 6 men open team and i am stoked with it.

The race, the people, the food, the facilities and of course the track were fantastic. i have nothing bad to say about it.

I enjoyed all the presents and the support from the main sponsors. Jetblack for the lighst etc...

Go Team bike addiction !!!!

Nicho

nevot

Likes Bikes
Loved it. We rolled in a team of six that the longest ride before the race was prob about 30k, with plenty of breaks

I rode a single speed rigid 29' and until my last lap at about 10 am was finding the whole track easyish to deal with. Rest of the boys loved it to bits. Big props to CORC, will def be back next year.

Loved the race, the place and the atmosphere. fantastic times.......

Corty

Likes Dirt
Wow that's one hell of a "wrap up":rolleyes: How were the track conditions after the rain in Canberra over the past few days? How did the ~10km track hold up to the traffic? Were there too many riders per metre? Was there an event centre and if so, was there any atmosphere?

I missed heading out so I'd like to know if it was worthwhile. Especially from any folks who've done both the Mont v Scott.

Also did the winery put on free samples or bottles of wine as prizes??:cool:

M

mycyclingdisorder

Cheers fellas, glad you liked the event.

Provisional results are up by the way.

Our team didn't ride right through the night - a first in almost 10 years of riding 24hr events. The weird thing was though that it felt totally right (well, for most of us...)

A bacon fix in the morning got us all back on track to see it through to 12pm (1pm). We finished so far down the team of 6 category that I will not mention where we came for fear of ruining any reputations but it seems relaxed and casual is the new black!

Right now, I'm weary from a weekend full of riding, bragging, a beer or three and a couple of laps in entirely the wrong attire :D

I loved it.

Last edited by a moderator:

tjb

Likes Dirt
At times it did seem a little bit crowded on the track, that is the only (constructive) criticism I will level.

It was so nice and chilled! The was much to keep one entertained also .... eg. dragster race, Pete Macca pedalling around in circles with 30 odd bidons stashed all over his body, including up the legs of his knicks ....

nevot

Likes Bikes
Wow that's one hell of a "wrap up":rolleyes: How were the track conditions after the rain in Canberra over the past few days? How did the ~10km track hold up to the traffic? Were there too many riders per metre? Was there an event centre and if so, was there any atmosphere?

I missed heading out so I'd like to know if it was worthwhile. Especially from any folks who've done both the Mont v Scott.

Also did the winery put on free samples or bottles of wine as prizes??:cool:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I live in the berra and had ridden the course a part way in to the week before the rain and was worried about what might happen if it rained..... Then it did. Then i worried about what would happen if it rained all weekend, and it didn't

The track got thrashed. They are my regular trails and i have always ridden rigid and this ride was something else. The entry just after trasition used to be tasty... Now its just a dust bowl of pain in the wrists. For the large part the track did well i guess, but lots of it needs some real love to get back to the flow it used to have.

All night laps i managed to find someone that i was able to keep up with and both enjoy the push and the extra light with no pain. Got in to a couple of nice trains at about 3 am or so but there was more than enough space in the wee hours of the morn, but the first few laps of the day were busy.

I was too far away from the event center but i had a fat time anyway

I got no prizes, :( but i might recommend the shiraz as it is a nice drop that leave a dwelling taste on the palate that got me through the late afternoon.....

M

mycyclingdisorder

Majura Track Loving Day - 3 November

Majura Track Loving Day next Saturday

Some of the tracks used at the MONT do need a little loving now that the race is over and we’d really appreciate if you could help out by attending the Majura Track Loving Day (the Saturday after the Mont - November 3).

Come for the morning, the afternoon, or the whole day if you have time.

Morning shift from 9am til Noon
Afternoon shift starting at 1pm til 4pm.
Drinks and food provided.
BYO rakes and shovels please.

Be part of the Mont Refurb Crew by emailing the Race Director via the website (www.mont24.com.au)

Meet at the Carpark on Majura Road (I am pretty sure this is right, but will confirm in a day or so)

Majura will love you back if you can make it.

...jim

skanky media ho
I was plesantly surprised by how little the track got beaten up. There were a few areas where some braking ruts formed - but it was mild compared to what happened in Majura when the nationals ran there a couple of times in the late 90s in bone-dry midsummer heat. THAT was destruction.

Yep, needs a bit of work, but the moisture before (and after) the event will go a long way to improving the overall flow as a few new berms have been pushed up here and there.

Rider density was thin as after the first couple of laps - especially at night. Top weekend all round.

skybustim

Likes Bikes
Without looking at any of the details...
Did the race go for 24 or 23 hours with daylight savings coming onto effect halfway through..
Well prepared to be shot down in flames...hand on the ejection handle.

...jim

skanky media ho
Did the race go for 24 or 23 hours with daylight savings coming onto effect halfway through..
Well prepared to be shot down in flames...hand on the ejection handle.
Same as the very first year, race time ignored daylight savings till after the event was over...so, while it finished at 1pm ADST - it was 24 hours after the start.

F

fishboy2807

Some would say their 'racing' went on for a lot less time than that (urppp!) :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Stubags

Likes Bikes
Thoroughly enjoyed that

We had a ball. We had 2 teams of six and a team of 4 in our camp and it ran like clockwork. Great atmosphere and a fantastic track (if you were on a duelly :D ) WE will definitely be back next year!

Stubags

Likes Bikes
Hey does anybody know what site or sites are hosting the photos? I realise they prolly wont be available for a few days...

Bren

Likes Bikes
My 2 cents

I loved it, the most fun course i have raced in ages and the event was generally excellent. My entire team loved it and we are already lookng forward to 08.
I was however dissapointed with 3 things and I will make these points because I think they are worth thinking about.

1: The website was a big letdown leading up to the event going 6 weeks there without any real news or even entertaining tid bits to keep us excited. C'mon guys you know hundreds of us check it every day 'cause we are so excited so give us something to see.

2: I thought it was really rude to sting riders $10 to camp. I imagine most of the campers live far enough away to justify camping so it already cost us significamtly more just to be there. It took us 4 hours hours to get there, others much more i'm sure so it stings to fork out again to stay. Yeah it cost the event $$$ for showers, lights etc, etc, but everyone uses those if camping or not. If you need more $$ tap $3 onto everyones entry, dont bite the travellers.

3: Thankfully not all, but some Pro riders are bloody rude. I could give several accounts of incidents I saw and heard about but I will give one. A pro (your team will remain nameless) passed me and attempted to go straight around the guy I was stuck behind, Squeezed him off to the side but couldn't quite get him so pulled back. Then bang he spots a gap (he thinks) and tries to get him on the approach to a roll-over, nope not enough track, 2 bikes wont go over a narrow roll-over at once so pro boy pushes ahead and slow guy gets launched off to the left into the forrest!!! No concern, No sorry, no time as he races off. Good one buddy, your pro team appreciates the 2.7 seconds you saved but at least 2 average riders think you're a wanker.

...jim

skanky media ho
Yeah it cost the event $$$ for showers, lights etc, etc, but everyone uses those if camping or not.
Everyone camps. I live just on the other side of Mt Majura and wouldn't ever think of going home mid event. I remember some locals tried it at the very first event and decided it just didn't work.