Montview Oval (Hornsby Heights)

camzh

Likes Dirt
Not sure if anyone else goes there, but I was at Mont View on the weekend and it looks like its seen some love recently.
While the lay out hasnt changed, the surface is now ride able.

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
In case you're interested, here's the concept art from the trailbuilders at Dirtz:

Montview.jpg

Did they even come close to delivering on that?

Has me a bit concerned, as we've been working with Warringah Council for a couple of years to get a DJ park (to replace one they bulldozed), and looks like Dirtz might get the work. Would be a shame to go to all the effort of doing things the "legal" way and end up with a shit facility.

camzh

Likes Dirt
maybe if you squint real hard and look the other way and imagine a really nice park,
then yeah it looks something like that :)

I saw another 'concept' drawing of Montview when searching to see if there was a thread on it.
Different to that one, but better/bigger than what is there.

EDIT: Heres the link to the other mock up I have seen http://nswmtb.asn.au/node/19666

Last edited:

T.3

Likes Dirt
I could be wrong but I heard some nimby's got involved and things got altered. I heard the start mound was supposed to be at the opposite end to where it ended up because people whinged it invaded the privacy of their backyard.

That goes some way to explaining why when you ride the smaller set of jumps you have to brake or you sail to flat over the last two. I don't know how the big set ride I couldn't stump up the balls to hit them. As for what was meant to be the pump track behind well.........Its terrible.

This isn't meant as an attack on the builders or the people who lobbied to get it up and running, I think it's more of a testament to council interference and bowing to whingers.

I did see the guys who built it riding it just after they built it on bmx's and they made it look fun.

Either way the reality ended up a LONG way from the plans.

camzh

Likes Dirt
Ahh, being backwards makes a lot more sense for the smaller line,
As you've said they get smaller, why the hell do they get smaller when you're speed increases ??
I almost broke my ankle over jumping the 3rd (serves me right for not learning how to ride a BMX and just hitting it :) )

i live 20 minutes away and i dont ride there. councils dont realise, its not the size of the jump that makes it dangerous, more how the lip is shaped. way more people are going to eat shit over those jumps than, say, kooks and freedom trails, which were built and shaped right.

but no, keeping those spots was too big a liability, so best to not work with the riders and make the local scene take a massive step back in progression. :mad2: small sketchy jumps are no fun, i pretty much just ride thornleigh skatepark if i want to ride locally.

Last edited:

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Personally, I'm sick of certain trail building companies selling councils on the idea of these rolled lips and landers.

It looks safer, but it isn't safer at all. It's just cheaper to build since it can be packed with rolling machinery (as opposed to doing it properly with shovels).

if done by someone who knows what theyre doing, you can pack a proper lip with machinery (Clint Reynolds day in the life, uses his motorbike to pack an absolutely perfect lip by rolling up and down the lip, not just driving over the whole thing). you just have to build it one jump at a time.

what im going to try is using one of those 80kg lawn rollers to pack a lip, probably cheaper than hiring machinery to do it and should get similar results.

Last edited:

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
if done by someone who knows what theyre doing, you can pack a proper lip with machinery (Clint Reynolds day in the life, uses his motorbike to pack an absolutely perfect lip by rolling up and down the lip, not just driving over the whole thing). you just have to build it one jump at a time.

what im going to try is using one of those 80kg lawn rollers to pack a lip, probably cheaper than hiring machinery to do it and should get similar results.

Use a shovel. Don't be lazy.

camzh

Likes Dirt
I was thinking about using one of those lawn rollers for bigger sections of trails.
Has anyone had experience with them for these applications ?

Use a shovel. Don't be lazy.
most of its still done by shovel but a lawn roller helps get everything buttery smooth. worth a try, we dont have a big crew so things take longer to get done.

wheelbarrows with a small Polish man in them seem to do an alright job.

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/329266/

if you want ill see if i can get the lawn roller down to the trails and post results, dragging one of those 1km+ into the bush isnt going to be fun though :/

Last edited: