more 27.5" goodness, Pivot Mach 6

Isildur

The Real Pedant
You know you want one! Better than that Orange you ride! :wink:

(Although, still short everything, rather than your preferred long :wink: )

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was one pay away from ordering a Bronson frame then saw this. Fark, now I'll have to ride one to compare.

paulb

Likes Dirt
The 5.7c is almost too good. It's like cheating. Go out for a ride on it and you do half as much distance again. Incredibly stiff - makes everything else seem noodley. But more xc/trail than AM imho. Not that that makes it slow heading downhill. But my Transition is still more fun ;)

The mach 6 should be pretty special.

Isildur

The Real Pedant
What about the 5.7 C? What everyone opinion/review on these?
TL;DR? I wouldn't upgrade my 5.7C for the Mach 6, but if I was in the market for a new bike, there would be some serious test rides happening and the Mach 6 would be a serious contender!

The longer version
I'm in love with my 5.7C :) I wouldn't say it's an XC bike (having come from a Mach 4 previously), but the stock build comes on the Trail or lighter side of AM. That said, it could certainly be built a little bit slacker and burlier if you so desired, which may be my next step once things start to wear out :) It can also take on a lighter/steeper edge for a burly marathon bike too ;)

Mine is currently in 1x10 guise, with a Revelation WC @ 150mm (for approx 67 HA), Fox RP23 (thankfully not CTD), Reverb Dropper, FlowEXs on Hopes with a Hans Dampf 2.35 up front and a Specialized Purgatory 2.3 out the back. This weighs in at 12kg and sees me through everything I can throw at it around Sydney and beyond, including the climbs :)

I've also got a set of Crests on DT240s running a NN and RR, which when installed on the bike with the double-ring chainset, take the bike to 11.4kg. This is fine for most trails, but the slightly heavier build is less worry and give me more confidence to really bomb rough trails at speed.

As much as I like the idea of the Mach 6, I'll be keeping my 5.7C for a while. The extra 10mm doesn't seem like a justifiable upgrade unless my frame breaks (and I cannot see that happening anytime soon). Sometime in the near future the shock will be getting an upgrade, as the RP23 is starting to show signs of lackluster performance and I'd rather put the servicing costs towards a KirK. I'll most likely change over the fork to a Pike at that point too. That would, by my (most likely highly inaccurate) arm-chair calculations, put the bike @ 12.5kg, with a 66 HA. Pretty burly, quite aggressive, but still nice enough to pedal just about anywhere! It will wander a little bit more on the climbs, no doubt, but I'm sure I'll adjust.

And lastly, I'm not entirely sold on the aesthetics of the Mach 6. One of the things I love so much about the 5.7C are the clean, crisp lines (on my medium frame, anyway). I'm not 100% sure I like the way the top-tube joins the seat-tube (with that little gusset). I'm sure it will ride like a demon though, and once you're on the bike you never see it anyway!

I hope that helps! Let me know if you need more info and I'll see what I can dig from my memory for you ;)

PIC1

Likes Dirt
TL;DR? I wouldn't upgrade my 5.7C for the Mach 6, but if I was in the market for a new bike, there would be some serious test rides happening and the Mach 6 would be a serious contender!

The longer version
I'm in love with my 5.7C :) I wouldn't say it's an XC bike (having come from a Mach 4 previously), but the stock build comes on the Trail or lighter side of AM. That said, it could certainly be built a little bit slacker and burlier if you so desired, which may be my next step once things start to wear out :) It can also take on a lighter/steeper edge for a burly marathon bike too ;)

Mine is currently in 1x10 guise, with a Revelation WC @ 150mm (for approx 67 HA), Fox RP23 (thankfully not CTD), Reverb Dropper, FlowEXs on Hopes with a Hans Dampf 2.35 up front and a Specialized Purgatory 2.3 out the back. This weighs in at 12kg and sees me through everything I can throw at it around Sydney and beyond, including the climbs :)

I've also got a set of Crests on DT240s running a NN and RR, which when installed on the bike with the double-ring chainset, take the bike to 11.4kg. This is fine for most trails, but the slightly heavier build is less worry and give me more confidence to really bomb rough trails at speed.

As much as I like the idea of the Mach 6, I'll be keeping my 5.7C for a while. The extra 10mm doesn't seem like a justifiable upgrade unless my frame breaks (and I cannot see that happening anytime soon). Sometime in the near future the shock will be getting an upgrade, as the RP23 is starting to show signs of lackluster performance and I'd rather put the servicing costs towards a KirK. I'll most likely change over the fork to a Pike at that point too. That would, by my (most likely highly inaccurate) arm-chair calculations, put the bike @ 12.5kg, with a 66 HA. Pretty burly, quite aggressive, but still nice enough to pedal just about anywhere! It will wander a little bit more on the climbs, no doubt, but I'm sure I'll adjust.

And lastly, I'm not entirely sold on the aesthetics of the Mach 6. One of the things I love so much about the 5.7C are the clean, crisp lines (on my medium frame, anyway). I'm not 100% sure I like the way the top-tube joins the seat-tube (with that little gusset). I'm sure it will ride like a demon though, and once you're on the bike you never see it anyway!

I hope that helps! Let me know if you need more info and I'll see what I can dig from my memory for you ;)

thanks heaps for the info/feedback mate!

I am almost sold into getting one :)

At the end of the day I want an all rounder bike that can do it all from XC to pretty much bomb everything that might come its way!

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Haha, that actually describes both bikes I guess, depending on your skill/confidence level!

I've not found anything yet around Sydney that I've wanted more bike on (Red Hill, Black Track, Ya Mums, etc) and it's even fun at Oxy now that it's fairly well groomed!

When I hit up places like Ourimbah & Awaba I tend to whack on the lighter wheelset, but I'd definitely be happy with the heavier wheels if I didn't have the choice!

Definitely get out for some test-rides! I believe the distro has demo bikes available (they did when I looked into the 5.7), and they may have a Mach 6 nowadays too - judging by the fact that I saw one in my LBS that was passing through and that the Flow boys have done a "first ride" review ;)

Hell, I should ride one for the hell of it and see where the differences & similarities are!

Jacob.R

Likes Bikes
Pivot Price

I would love to get my hands on a Pivot Mach 6, also the Firebird........My God they look good. Sucks so much that they cost so much.

valium

Likes Dirt
Yeah - they're not a cheap ride.

If I end up upgrading the Jamis it'll be hard choosing between the SC 5010/Bronson, Mach 6, and Yeti 575/SB75. If only a SB76c would appear and make everything easier - except price.

Though the allow SB75 is on jenson for 2k.

Still, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the current ride, just a big of GAS.

Pivot, Mach 6.

Yeah - they're not a cheap ride.

If I end up upgrading the Jamis it'll be hard choosing between the SC 5010/Bronson, Mach 6, and Yeti 575/SB75. If only a SB76c would appear and make everything easier - except price.

Though the allow SB75 is on jenson for 2k.

Still, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the current ride, just a big of GAS.
Should have a Mach 6 for test ride on Friday....going to be interesting to see how different it rides compared to my 5,7 c. Will let you know soon.

SmokedHam

Likes Dirt
Have done a serious amount of research on the Mach 6 vs the Bronson C, just a test ride to go, on paper though I find it hard to go past the Santa Cruz, 5 year warranty, 5 crash replacement warranty, lifetime warranty on the bearings, and Neezey the distributor is solid with support and has been around for a long time.

The Pivot I have not even been able to see what the warranty is? and I have dislikes, being, the exposed derailer cable, like what bike manufacturer in this age of high end MTB would run that and not a fully enclosed gear cable seriously, also no water bottle cage, not a major concern but for an hour ride in the arvo I prefer a water bottle than a camelback. Lastly press fit BB's, not a fan.

My two cents worth.