More trails for Mt Wellington

PJO

in me vL comy
First trails are a shared use climbing trail from Bracken Lane to Shoebridge and a MTB only descending trail back down again.
I think there is also a new climbing trail matching the Upper Luge, and the Upper Luge will be worked on as a descending only trail.
Good to see Marcelo getting the gig, quite like the trails he builds.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
new climbing trail matching the Upper Luge, and the Upper Luge will be worked on as a descending only trail
I think I tried to climb Upper Luge not knowing the network, sure didn't feel like climbing it was the intended direction ... or maybe it was lower luge?

PJO

in me vL comy
I think I tried to climb Upper Luge not knowing the network, sure didn't feel like climbing it was the intended direction ... or maybe it was lower luge?
Yeah it is possible to climb the Upper Luge at the moment, not the (lower) Luge, at least not the bottom section.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
This is nice. Also lol fuck you e-bikers.

“The climb tracks are dual-use, dual-direction for walkers. Obviously, when mountain bikes are on the climbing track, you’re going slow, and it’s certainly okay to share (with other user groups). It’s not dangerous because nobody is going fast,” says Cardona. “But the descents will be mountain bikes only. That is the most important part for safety.”
“Hobart has such a wide community of outdoors people, all these trails need to work, and it needs to look nice. Sometimes a mountain biker doesn’t see the details in the rock work because you’re moving faster, but the walkers do. The walkers notice that the rocks are covered in moss and not flipped upside down with the dirty side up,” says Cardona.

He also tells us that certain features specifically for walkers, like shortcuts through uphill switchbacks, will be built into these climb trails.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
First trails are a shared use climbing trail from Bracken Lane to Shoebridge and a MTB only descending trail back down again.
I think there is also a new climbing trail matching the Upper Luge, and the Upper Luge will be worked on as a descending only trail.
Good to see Marcelo getting the gig, quite like the trails he builds.
Great news. Marcelo is definitely my favourite of the Tas trail builders.

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah it is possible to climb the Upper Luge at the moment, not the (lower) Luge, at least not the bottom section.
Perhaps a "No standing around at end of Lower Louge unless waiting to get plowed into by rider flying out of the trees unable too see you". That would be helpful.

Reactions: PJO

PJO

in me vL comy
Perhaps a "No standing around at end of Lower Louge unless waiting to get plowed into by rider flying out of the trees unable too see you". That would be helpful.
Does anyone still ride the (lower) Luge?
I haven't ridden it for about 5-6 years, mainly because there are better tracks just nearby on the other side of Old Farm Rd.
First 2/3-3/4 are pretty dull, only last section which has some loose and steep bits is interesting. Surprised no one turned the first part into a jumps trail, it's pretty open and a reasonable gradient.

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I haven't ridden it for about 5-6 years, mainly because there are better tracks just nearby on the other side of Old Farm Rd.
First 2/3-3/4 are pretty dull, only last section which has some loose and steep bits is interesting. Surprised no one turned the first part into a jumps trail, it's pretty open and a reasonable gradient.
My mistake. I meant the Upper Luge where it meets the main fire trail. I haven't ridden Lower Luge for a long while.

Reactions: PJO

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
When I'm feeling fit I try and ride up it, which quickly tells me that I am unfit. Probably ride down it once a year for yucks and giggles, as you can get a good pace up on it for a decent distance and it has a nice old school sketchiness about it.

PJO

in me vL comy
When I'm feeling fit I try and ride up it, which quickly tells me that I am unfit. Probably ride down it once a year for yucks and giggles, as you can get a good pace up on it for a decent distance and it has a nice old school sketchiness about it.
It was definitely much more exciting when we were riding 26" wheels with skinning tyres. Kudos for trying to ride up it!