MotoGP 2011

willsy01

Eats Squid
Terrible, terrible week for motorsport in general. First fatality at the top level since 2003....which was incidentally, a Gresini rider.

Andrei

Likes Dirt
RIP Simo. ;( I have no idea how Edwards and Rossi must be feeling right now and how will they be able to ride again.

Minlak

custom titis
RIP Simo. ;( I have no idea how Edwards and Rossi must be feeling right now and how will they be able to ride again.
They will be devastated but it is clearly not their fault although they were involved im sure in their heads they will rationalise it as a "Racing Incident" and ride again......

They have been in the sport a long time and i cannot see them retiring to be remembered for just this 1 incident...

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
ahh, simo....

really messed the pig up... after the shock of the moto2 being ended 2 laps early and then the motogp being ended 2 laps in...

was commenting to a friend just before the MotoGP as they had a Simo "advert" where he talked about his MotoGP bike - where he showed his piss poor command of english, and we laughed so hard at his floppy hair and great attitude..... and both commented how cool it was to have a "Simo" in the field... Casey's good, but too clinical for the pig.

and to colin edwards and rossi... 't was racing, bugger.

Sad pig

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Very sad news, needless to say I was quite upset. Simoncelli was a fantastic competitor and was only really beginning to come into stride.

It was such a sickening crash for the world to see. I feel incredibly sorry for Rossi and Edwards. My thoughts go out to them and as the pig has said "that's racing".

Condolences go to simo's family, friends and fellow GP riders.

Anarchist

Likes Dirt
A great talent lost too early. Its easy to say "that's racing" but sadly that's exactly what it is - the risk is obvious and always present. It must be very hard for his friends and family to accept. Sad news. Imagine going to work and not coming back... very sad. I hope Col and Rossi get over this and their injuries. Sad day.

Last edited:

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Geez, what a shocking thing to happen. RIP Marco.
A work mate told me that people are suggesting he was unconscious before Edwards and Rossi arrived. Does anyone know of anything of the sort?

Bjorn

Likes Dirt
A work mate told me that people are suggesting he was unconscious before Edwards and Rossi arrived. Does anyone know of anything of the sort?
Looking at the video of the incident again tends to confirm my initial impression that Marco was concious and just not able to escape the bike. The front end has let go in the right hander and it looks as though he he's gone down on the inside of the bike ready to slide away from it as it exits the corner. When the front has gained traction while still cranked over, it has scooped him up and propelled him into the side of Colin Edwards' bike, tearing the helmet from his head.
The best thing in those situations is to relax as much as possible and try to slide on your back; taking advantage of your leathers and back protector. Although I do wonder if when the tyre bit again, Simo' thought to himself, " I can save this."

This is only my opinion based on the same info' the rest of you have and 20+ years on the motorcycle, including a small amount of racing.

Much love to the Simoncelli family, we are crying with you. Also to Colin Edwards and Valentino Rossi; such a hard time for both of you men.

Dirt king

Likes Bikes and Dirt
RIP Marco, taken far too early from us. One of the true personalties of Moto GP thats for sure.

In regards to him being unconscious, I have no evident to support it, but after watching a slow-mo of his horrific accident, Marco was on the racing line and about 2/3 of the way around he pulled wide, allowing the rider behind him to pass, and he went out of the camera shot. Split second later he is back in shot, and to he looks to have no grip on the left side of the handle bar, and just falling toward the right. I am not one to speculate, but I just couldn't help but wonder if he had passed out or something prior to being involved in such dire circumstances.

A very sad day for Moto GP, and deepest condolences to his family.

83AST

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Such a terrible thing to hear, he was a great rider and next season was looking bright, he was the brightest character in the paddocks and a favourite for myself and many others. He will sadly be missed. RIP Simoncelli

I don't know what is going to happen to Rossi, his head would be in the worst place right now, he has lost a close friend. Who knows where his future in terms of racing will be heading now. Ago retired after one of his close friends died in the TT.

willsy01

Eats Squid
I've seen suggestion of the same thing, no concrete evidence however. I daresay it will be heavily investigated.

Bjorn

Likes Dirt
Be advised the video link is to the fatal crash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n6ta-aQVQk&feature=related

There is the on-board camera footage in this one and it shows Simo' lose the front (on the white line?) at the apex of the corner and slide toward the outside. He moves his left leg up over the tail section of the Honda in an effort to clear it and disentangle himself from the bike. Definitely concious at this point and acting as you would expect in the situation.
I think the tragic incident has then progressed as I described earlier, with the motorcycle regaining grip and forcing him into contact with Edwards' front wheel at which point the helmet is torn off.

A tragic racing incident.

Fucking tragedy. RIP Marco Simoncelli... Thoughts to his family and friends, and the wider MotoGP community, especially Edwards and Rossi, who must be besides themselves.

DeBloot

Feeling old
Just glanced the small print on the bottom of the ABC news this morning
WTF! What did that say. Fuck. Did you see that (to wife)
Did that say Marco Simoncelli was killed. Fuck. Is that what that said

2 days after I mentioned 'that Marco guy with the Rob Machado hair.'
A rising star with a big personality

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Thanks for that youtube link ... was trying to work out what happened just before he swerved ... ripple strip dislodged him

DeBloot

Feeling old
Thanks for that youtube link ... was trying to work out what happened just before he swerved ... ripple strip dislodged him
I don't get it

From the camera on Bautista's bike, Marco loses it on the ripple strip and slides away to his left
Next camera shot is him veering sharply to the right into Edwards and Rossi

how did he go from sliding to the left (losing it in the corner) to veering sharply to the right
It looked like he really lost it in that corner - too much to regain it
Did he somehow manage to regain control and veered to pick up the race line again, or did I miss something

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Debloot, if he was still on the throttle the rear tyre would grip enough to turn the bike.