Likes Bikes and Dirt
Round 10 - Red Bull Ring, Austria

NeroGiardini Motorrad Grand Prix von Österreich

Red Bull Ring – Spielberg, Austria

LENGTH 4.3 km 2.68 miles
CORNERS 3 left - 7 right
WIDTH 13 m. 42.65 ft.
LONGEST STRAIGHT 626 m. 2053.81 ft.

And we are back after 4 weeks to another 'ring, first one here since 1997. Have been told it is a stunning course. Weather outlook is good for Sat incl temps, with possible showers on Sunday.

Will the Michelins perform better in the Pirelli corner? Will Iannone finish? We'll just have to wait and see. Over to you Dylan.

From Vienna: Take the A2 towards Graz, then the S6 towards Bruck/Mur/Semmering/Neunkirchen West. At the St. Michael junction, take the S36 towards Klagenfurt/Knittelfeld/Judenburg. Take the Zeltweg Ost/Spielberg exit, then the first left and left again onto the L503. After approx. 2 km turn right, taking the exit for the Red Bull Ring.

From Graz: Take the A9 towards Salzburg. At the St. Michael junction, take the S36 towards Klagenfurt/Knittelfeld/Judenburg. Take the Zeltweg Ost/Spielberg exit, then the first left and left again onto the L503. After approx. 2 km turn right, taking the exit for the Red Bull Ring.

From Klagenfurt: Take the A2 towards Graz/Vienna. Take the Bad St. Leonhard exit towards Zeltweg, then the B78 towards Zeltweg and the S36 towards Graz/Vienna. Take the Zeltweg Ost/Spielberg exit, then the first left and left again onto the L503. After approx. 2 km turn right, taking the exit for the Red Bull Ring.

From Salzburg: Take the A1 towards Vienna/Linz. At the Voralpenkreuz junction, take the A9 towards Graz . At the St. Michael junction, take the S36 towards Klagenfurt/Knittelfeld/Judenburg. Take the Zeltweg Ost/Spielberg exit, then the first left and left again onto the L503. After approx. 2 km turn right, taking the exit for the Red Bull Ring.

Attachments

Ivan

Eats Squid
Stoner turned down a wildcard, which is sort of surprising, but sort of not at the same time.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Could be for the ducs to lose. Because its F1 based, runoff is tarmac vs gravel, not sure what theyve done in advance of the bikes but high speed + runoff issues dont sound ideal.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Lorenzo back in form, two lap records in Q2 at Misano overnight. Ie broke it once, then broke the new one.

Cropduster

Likes Dirt
The racing is fantastic, eight different winners in eight races, can't ask for better and great to see Jack Miller amongst them, even if he is out injured, again.

Great to see Pedrosa get a win, he's always been a bit "meh" to me but with the spanish invasion of drama queens and lorenzo constantly whining when (OMG!) he gets passed....... i have a new respect for pedrosa' just get on with it way of doing things.

I really hope Rossi pushes it the whole year, would be great to see him win his 10th, though unlikely these days he's still the main attraction and can still stick it to the likes of Marquez and Lorenzo.

Speaking of Lorenzo, he has very little chance of winning a race next year on the Ducati, it's a meat cleaver compared to the scalpel like Yamaha and his style won't work well with it, if it rains a lot he may as well retire.....

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Yeah, I think last night's result has prolly put the little prick out of reach.
(don't get me wrong, he's an amazing talent....just Spanish & spoiled....that's all)

I was a bit upset that Lorenzo was on the podium - nothing makes me happier than seeing him have a bad day.

Hopefully the rest of the season will still provide awesome 'paint swapping'....even if the championship is pretty much over.

Anyone going to the island this year? I'll be working so no go for me :sad::doh:

Cropduster

Likes Dirt
Put the glasses down, its all over red rover
yep, sure looks like it, shame cause i for one can't stand those spanish drama queens, Marquez is a bit of a bully, Lorenzo whines and carries on like he's the only one who's ever won anything and it cracks me up when the Espargaro brothers fall off and stand there with their hands out wondering what the hell just happened. you just ran out of talent mate......

Yes Rossi has been known to be a bully as well, but he has personality, and that goes a long way towards him getting away with it, he's likeable, and he has the results behind him to back up what he says/does.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Nah. I went to the GP when stoner last rode, had platinum box tiks, rode down and camped with the heathens.

would be hard to match that, guess I'll go when its rossi's last run ?
Yeah, I was there when Stoner won the title on his birthday (same weekend you're talking about I think?) - it was magic for sure!
Stoner had a connection with that circuit that was just farkin mind blowing.

Any trip to the island for GP weekend is a good one....but it's not quite the same without Stoner or Doohan is it....

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wow, just got to watch motogp and moto3 (c'ship decided already) after other commitments got in the way.

Would certainly appear to be Marquez' to lose. Over the last 18mths I've been unimpressed by the behavior of all the old guard except pedrobot, he's like the elder statesman of motogp the way he speaks in comparison.

Have never been a fan of rossi's block pass style which is his go-to passing maneuver 8 times in ten. Won't miss it at all and had to laugh, again, when it backfired on him in this last race after Pedro applied the same technique on him for the win last round at Misano.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Anyone going to the island this year?
Na, am gonna be OS at island motogp time... shame really as I wouldn't mind... it's been a while.

Must say though... the last time we went, the ride home was insane... the cops just turned a blind eye and waved everyone through... we were on the 900 Monster and sat on the old ton till Crimebourne... bikes on ya bikes.

But I've literally done thousands of laps of the joint and it's so much more fun riding it than watching it... even if they are way quicker, fuck that, I'd rather be knee down out there myself.

Here's a shot going over Lukey Heights... certainly the best corner I have ever experienced... the change in elevation makes it perfection.

Lukey Heights.jpg

Last edited:

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Guy might be a douche but he's a determined one.

Well, that's it for 2016. Mr Nakamoto will be somewhat pleased.

& hats off to Mike Jones for answering the call on Weds night, seeing bike for first time at FP, not being behind pace by much all weekend, and not crashing on his MOTOGP DEBUT MOTHERFCKERS.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anybody down at PI for this weekend? Lazmo you back from Bali yet?

Gonna be damp tomorrow and a tad windy on Sunday. FP2 was canned today after a few laps due to weather so qual tomorrow will be v.interesting.

Glad to see Mad Mike got another ride with Avintia, would love to see him ride aggressively but will understand if he chooses not to.

Let's see if MM feels like really fcking with Rossi, again.

& Remy & Wayne out of jail, ha ha.

It's gonna be good.