P1 - Kimi Raikkonen
P2 - Lewis Hamilton
P3 - Rosberg
fastest lap - Kimi Raikonen
Pole position - Fernando Alonso
1st retirement - Takuma Sato

NCR600

Likes Dirt
You could go away for 4 days instead of calling one of the most supported sports in the country a "boganfest". You should be careful how you come across with that statement because some people may take it to heart..........
I won't mince words... V8 supercar meetings ARE bogan fests. C'mon, you've been there yourself and probably seen the idiots. I don't go to Surfer's Paradise anymore because I'm sick to death of not being able to go out at night for a beer without getting into a fight with drunken morons. I haven't been to Bathurst in years for the same reason. The behaviour on top of the hill is WORSE now than anything ever seen at the supposedly wilder Easter bike races of the early 80's according to some old hands.

I love motorsport of all kinds, I'll watch V8 supercars on TV, but won't go to a meeting, and won't lend my support to anything run by AVESCO. Or Formula 1, simply because it is a pile of bullshit marketing. I've said it before that AVESCO is killing motor racing in Australia, and they are. They're just this huge black hole funnelling all the money out of everything else, all the talented drivers out of classes that could potentially see them doing proper racing elsewhere in the world and putting them into what is essentially a dead end class raced nowhere else in the world. An Australian version of NASCAR if you will, and like NASCAR full of old has-beens and young never will be's.

I HAVE been watching NASCAR recently though... Seeing Marcus Ambrose mixing it with the front runners was interesting until he got tapped off, and watching that Columbian idiot Montoya take out former Surfer's Paradise winner and honorary Aussie Scott Pruett confirmed my belief that him doing F1 only taught him bad things (actually he was a bit of an idiot before that... I'm surprised Ganassi let him drive for him again!)

All motor sport is good, but lets not get carried away by the marketing hey?

Gutty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I haven't been to Bathurst in years for the same reason. The behaviour on top of the hill is WORSE now than anything ever seen at the supposedly wilder Easter bike races of the early 80's according to some old hands.
Too true... me being someone that used to go to the easter bike races. Albeit as a youngster.

Damn rednecks !!

That's not to say the sport is all bogans, though i must admit i do prefere the corperate box every time. It's s bogan free area.

Sadly, it's not just motor racing, society in general just has less respect for anything these days.

Old Shagger

Farkin Legend
I won't mince words... V8 supercar meetings ARE bogan fests. C'mon, you've been there yourself and probably seen the idiots. I don't go to Surfer's Paradise anymore because I'm sick to death of not being able to go out at night for a beer without getting into a fight with drunken morons. I haven't been to Bathurst in years for the same reason. The behaviour on top of the hill is WORSE now than anything ever seen at the supposedly wilder Easter bike races of the early 80's according to some old hands.

I love motorsport of all kinds, I'll watch V8 supercars on TV, but won't go to a meeting, and won't lend my support to anything run by AVESCO. Or Formula 1, simply because it is a pile of bullshit marketing. I've said it before that AVESCO is killing motor racing in Australia, and they are. They're just this huge black hole funnelling all the money out of everything else, all the talented drivers out of classes that could potentially see them doing proper racing elsewhere in the world and putting them into what is essentially a dead end class raced nowhere else in the world. An Australian version of NASCAR if you will, and like NASCAR full of old has-beens and young never will be's.

I HAVE been watching NASCAR recently though... Seeing Marcus Ambrose mixing it with the front runners was interesting until he got tapped off, and watching that Columbian idiot Montoya take out former Surfer's Paradise winner and honorary Aussie Scott Pruett confirmed my belief that him doing F1 only taught him bad things (actually he was a bit of an idiot before that... I'm surprised Ganassi let him drive for him again!)

All motor sport is good, but lets not get carried away by the marketing hey?
WOW, you need to take a Happy or smiley pill....and chill out. Do you have a nice thing to say about anything in Motorsport?
And by the way, for me Nascar is blah....as going fast in a straight line...but hey we are all on her to rant about the good and bad....not just the 'boganfest'. And by the way, i lived in Bathurst till last year, and i can tell you that the crowds 'up top' are way different to the 'burn down the police compound' total fools that were there in years gone by.....guess you need to go to a race....ehh.....

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
NCR600, I know it takes all kinds of people to make the world go around and unfortunately some of the dickheads on the planet attend motor racing events. We've all seen them and we all know how they carry on.......I just avoid them by finding my happy place away from them.

AVESCO wasn't told about any other categories of racing in Australia!:rolleyes: You have to hand it to them though, they have produced a seriously awesome thing with V8 Supercars.

Formula 1 will always be F1......they attract the best drivers in the world and do something to their skills.......and how their brain ticks.

hdtvkss

Likes Dirt
ok, ill play.

of course, thats unlike footy, cricket, soccer, etc. :rolleyes: as for behaviour on top of the mountain, spot on, its a case study in evolution, the higher up the mount you go the more it get like those primate into human posters you used to see in primary school classrooms....

i wont go to a meeting but its more due to higher prices with lots of empty track time, where you cant see anything anyway. any pom who complains about the time it takes to get out of silverstone has obviously never been to oran park....

Avesco, apologies V8 supercar Australia as they now like to be called and the black wiggle that controls it are pure undiluted evil. they only care about lining their own pockets, while traditions like the CAMS gold star ( for the ignorant this is the highest prize in Australian motor sport) dies a sad slow death.

Street races will be the death of motor racing in Australia. all that is is V8SA trying to earn a buck by getting state govmts to kick the tin, at the expense of grass roots motorsport. its sickening. Bathurst is a street circuit yes, but Bathurst is different.

nascar is mostly good. where nascar differs from V8's is that its still run by a ( very rich) family who actually give a rats about hte fans. whre nascar is bad is that it is a pure silhouette formula and they just seem to turn left. dont get me wrong i do enjoy it but its not the be all end all. As for Ambrose, hes good, but hes not that good. remember hes in the 2nd flight series over there and hes not setting the world on fire. i wish him well but i don't think hes got what it takes to make it in the Nextel serise. Moan-toya on the other hand, while i hated him in F1, hes my fave nascar driver of the moment. it snice to see him with the fire back.

the tap? it happens. and as for Gannasi getting rid of Montoya, wont ever happen, Montoya was Chip's golden boy back in champ ar and still is.

Formula 1 will always be F1......they attract the best drivers in the world and do something to their skills.......and how their brain ticks.
more like the most cashed up drivers. the cash needed to buy a ride in F1 is just stupid. Will Power and James Courtney would easily slot into the top 10 in the current field, but neither ever got the right chances.

Last edited:

NCR600

Likes Dirt
WOW, you need to take a Happy or smiley pill....and chill out. Do you have a nice thing to say about anything in Motorsport?
And by the way, for me Nascar is blah....as going fast in a straight line...but hey we are all on her to rant about the good and bad....not just the 'boganfest'. And by the way, i lived in Bathurst till last year, and i can tell you that the crowds 'up top' are way different to the 'burn down the police compound' total fools that were there in years gone by.....guess you need to go to a race....ehh.....
I've got plenty nice to say about motorsport, just not anything run by AVESCO or F1.

As for the Bathurst bike fans/car fans argument, all I can say is this, The TRG were PROVEN IN COURT to have been responsible for the worst riots there, and the case led to the disbandment of the TRG.
The sources I have range from old bikers to old coppers who have worked both events and were present at the riots.

The bogan element is present in pretty much all sport to a greater or lesser degree, but they stayed away in droves at the solo speedway meet I attended in January. They've also been conspicuously absent at pretty much ALL bike race meetings I've EVER been to (which is an awful lot since the late 80's) The exception is Phillip Island GP ans SBK meetings, where they're definately there, but only in relatively small numbers.

HDTVKSS- Montoya MUST be Chip's golden boy, for if anyone knows what Juan-Pablo is like, it's Big Chip! Now what NASCAR needs to do is entice the fat, stupid Paul Tracy of a few years back to come out to play...

Seriously motorsport is much bigger than V8 supercars and Formula1

The best race I have ever seen of any sort was an Unlimited Forgotten Era motorcycle race at Wakefield park where for the first 4 laps (of a 5 lap race) the lead changed virtually every corner.

Forget AVESCO and their TV rights, go out and watch some club meetings, or historic meetings or ANYTHING other than AVESCO run days and help keep grass roots motorsport alive in Australia, because one day there might be no grass roots motorsport apart from AVESCO sanctioned feeder classes.

Last edited:

the F.H.B

Likes Dirt
Well the Moto GP season starts today, hope im not the only one staying up to watch the race.
For those that dont know the front row is Rossi, Stoner, Edwards with a bee's dick seperating them. Cant wait to see the new 800cc bikes in all their glory!

Goudgey

Likes Dirt
And the 1st leg of Rally Mexico is now complete and after a string of very quick stage times Atkinson sits in an excellent 2nd place to Loeb - 26.3 seconds adrift!
Hopefully he can keep it right side up and out of the scenery for the next 2 stages and get on the podium!

the F.H.B

Likes Dirt
How good was that, go Stoner you little beauty!
Amazing to see that when they take away 20% of the engine size they can still get them to go faster than last year.
Great to see 4 different manufactors in the top 4 as well.

spyder6052

Likes Dirt
look out for a big suprize this year in motogp young aussie casey stoner( best beavis and buthead voice...hehehe he said stoner) is riding for Ducati this year if he can keep it upright he has a good chance at winning the title
WOOT for me :D

what an excellent start to the season..... and yeah so much for slowing the bikes down...22 seconds faster than last years race

Ivan

Eats Squid
Whilst I'm over the moon for Casey, It was blatant that if the Yamaha had had the gonads down the main straight that Rossi would have won. What I can't understand is how it could be so far down on power?! Yamaha really seem to drag the chain in development.

I was worried that Casey on a Ducati might follow in Bayliss's foosteps, but last nights win shows that ducati have their shit together.

spyder6052

Likes Dirt
i dont think it's "the Yamaha is down on power it more like the Ducati has got the most hp out of all the makes, but yeah if they were evenly matched rossi would have won just seeing him close the gap in the twisty stuff was great...

and them two are my favourite riders (and andy pitt although his machine is way down the grid)

and a BIG WTF has honda gone and done to their bikes :eek: my god they are UGLY

Ivan

Eats Squid
Well, the Honda and the Duke seemed to be pretty close in straightline power to me and yamaha have struggled for years in producing enough ponies.

Rossi seemed to be wearing a lot more sponsorship than usual, be interesting to know waht sort of money he's commanding now.

the F.H.B

Likes Dirt
The main problem the current bikes have is fuel consumption. with the fuel tanks reduced to 21 litres the teams are having to govern the revs to get to the finish.
The yamaha has great straight line speed when fuel consumption is no issue but appear to have to lean the engine out to get through race distance. It appears the honda has the same problem as they had to dial their bikes back at about 1/2 race distance.

Wisey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Was so good to see last nights race between Casey and Valentino, I missed the MotoGP but I'm glad it's back........:)

As has already been said 20sec faster race time, new lap record 0.8sec faster than last year, they are quick out of the box. These new bikes look smooth and fast on the track, especially that Ducati, it looked like it was on rails, the tyres held up and how much power has it got??? Casey has always been really fast and it was good to see him ride a near perfect race, remember he is only 21 and if he can only keep this up for a few years.......
Rossi's bike looked really nice except it needs a bit more punch, he will be a hard man to beat this year as that M1 looked stable everywhere. And poor Nicky's bike is too small and short for him to hang out, he will struggle for a while this year and Pedrosa will smoke him. The Suzukis looked pretty fast as well, Hopkins had a good ride and Vermulen came from the back for a good result too.

IMO Best form of motor racing ever, period.........bring on Jerez.

Last edited: