Motorcycle Thread - Post it all

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Back together and angy PV spring installed.
Gotta sit forward now, I sneezed idling it up the driveway and nearly looped it.
Dog laughed atleast.
Years ago a mate who has ridden road bikes forever wanted to have a go on my HRC 290cc 2 stroke trials bike. Had his weight waaaaay behind the saddle and dumped the clutch in 2nd. A sort of a backwards sideways loop. Was very funny.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Back together and angy PV spring installed.
Gotta sit forward now, I sneezed idling it up the driveway and nearly looped it.
Dog laughed atleast.
Ha ha, when I read that, I thought good idea “not”

Years ago, as a lad on the farm, I’d go bush riding with mates, and they all had way more powerful bikes than me… and I’d whip their arses. My bike was smaller, lighter, more nimble, and the power was super manageable due to its absence. When we swapped bikes I was slower, so I’d happily swap back. How much power and how it comes on is super important.

Last edited:

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.

Years ago, as a lad on the farm, I’d go bush riding with mates, and they all had way more powerful bikes than me… and I’d whip their arses. My bike was smaller, lighter, more nimble, and the power was super manageable due to its absence. When we swapped bikes I was slower, so I’d happily swap back. How much power and how it comes on is super important.
With a crusted up power valve and the middle PV spring there was a big power spike midway through the RPM, that would hit earlier the hotter the bike was running. I figured putting in the gnarly PV spring would negate that wandering midrange hit as I’d almost always have the PV open.

I’m not good enough to constantly have it in that sweet spot on these trails though. I brought the stock spring with me so swapped that over when I was having a anzac bickie break and went back to standard with the adjuster screw wound flush, and it made the power curve what I wanted originally.
Apparently 120hrs of carbon buildup on the powervalve has a pretty big effect haha. Keen to see how it goes when I’m fresh this weekend, I was already bonked when I swapped back so just lugged around the rest of the ride.

Gnarly PV sure made hopping logs easy though. No clutch needed to loft the front regardless of RPM.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub

I had an old (even back then) 1990 YZ250WR. It was an awesome bike. The simplicity of a two stroke, wide ratio gearbox, heavier flywheel and 18 inch enduro back wheel made it an excellent enduro bike. It would torque up the snottiest hills out of the power band while all my mates on MX bikes 10+ years newer would be either struggling for traction or keeping the front wheel down. If it was a bit lighter and had an electric start, it would be perfect.
1713141442287.png

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
I had an old (even back then) 1990 YZ250WR. It was an awesome bike. The simplicity of a two stroke, wide ratio gearbox, heavier flywheel and 18 inch enduro back wheel made it an excellent enduro bike. It would torque up the snottiest hills out of the power band while all my mates on MX bikes 10+ years newer would be either struggling for traction or keeping the front wheel down. If it was a bit lighter and had an electric start, it would be perfect.
View attachment 408603
NBD

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
View attachment 408603
My nephew was a sponsored rider back in the dark ages. As a youngun he had a works RM125. I rode that thing and you really needed to ring its neck to get anywhere but I was probably 30kg heavier than nephew and felt it more. Off powerband it was just a doughy 125 but being a works bike it punched heavily in the 2,000 rpm that worked. Anyway was a fun ride, very chuckable and light. He then moved to a YZ250 then a YZ250F and these were pretty decent but still needed to be up in the rev band to really get going. There was nothing down low. He was given the then new YZ400F and this was magic. Plenty of torque to forgive older more useless riders who backed off and still went like crazy. That transformed to the YZ426F(?) and that thing was a nightmare. It had so much poke I overjumped a set and landed flat on the ground. Suspension was amazing and it didn't spit me off but I realised I was way out of my league. Handed it back with every limb shaking from the adrenaline. Anyway he then concentrated on road bikes and track days and the motorcross bikes disappeared. I did ride his RSV1000R Aprillia, which he had geared down to 270. Ha ha, I rode like granny on ice. It was harsh but still quite nice. Various R1s that he still has joined the fleet. These were a much nicer ride though still too much for me. He then bought a WR450F. Suggested I take it for a ride and initially I said no the 426 scared me and was too much bike so this will be worse. He then pointed out it was the enduro beastie with all the usual works upgrades and well I took it out. And loved it. Best thing I have ever ridden. Suspension was so good and limitless power and torque everywhere and screw it open and it was bloody quick when the trees were a metre away. Sigh. Still too much bike for me. One day I will get a license and buy something I can legally ride on the road.

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No where near as powerful but Royal Enfield have releas a new 450 himaylan - it’s under $9 brand new and the reviews ( as always ) are positive , but it’s a reasonably priced motorcycle