Mount Buller new EPIC trail

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I still like it. Only ridden it twice, first in 2016 and then last December. Second time it felt more rocky and generally brutal than I remembered, but perhaps that’s because I crashed hard. Derby is more flowy and smooth for sure, but Epic sure is an adventure!

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Tassie is unreal. I was on the plane at 6am and on the first shuttle bus at Maydena at 10am.
About the same time from Melbourne to Bulla. Bullas pretty good( to a point ) but that’s a no brainer for me with everything else Tassie has to offer.
Spot on, pissed about Avalon not flying to Hobart. Was 15mins from the apartment..hire a bike down there. Just works.

---Matt---

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I see the buller tail network has closed for the season, but is the epic trail still open?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Depends on what you mean by open. Is the trail there? Yes. Is it maintained? No. Will you get in trouble for riding it? Highly unlikely.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
if it aren't too wet or cold you can go to tbj junction cafe (mt stirling road) and start your ride from there, its around 20ks back to Mirimbah and of course you still have some nice climbing that means you earn the descent. If you park at tbj you can ride back to there after epic on dirt road, of course I'm xc so just part of the ride. that would make it around 25ks with overal climbing 700+ metres.

carry some supplies, including cold weather gear and 1.5 water/nutrition.

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm heading up to Buller on opening weekend (of shuttles at least) with a few guys who have never ridden it before.

Plan is to shuttle the DH trails on Saturday and then on Sunday ride the trails closer to the hill before bombing down the Delatite River trail to finish.

None of them are probably up to riding the full Epic trail. Despite going up relatively regularly, I last rode the Epic about it 4-5 years ago. I had thought about self-shuttling to the top of the descent via Circuit Rd and No 3 Road on the Sunday instead. From what I recall of No 3 road (the section you ride at least) it was rough but drivable without too much difficulty in a proper 4WD. Anyone tried this or ridden it more recently than me - would this be a possibility?

Might be a moot point anyway as the Epic trial is still listed as closed.

---Matt---

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you drive up via TBJ, the road isn't too bad. You could drive to the Razorback Hut in a Forester and probably to the Pinnacle Trk too if you took it slow.
I drove down down the back of No 3 road via Carters Rd and Plain Creek Trk in Dec 2020 and it was pretty rocky with fairly big water bars. i.e lifted 4x4 only.
Driving from Mirimbah, via TBJ to Pinnacle Trk would be 30+ mins I'd say, so you would have to be in your shuttle driver's good books for the hour round trip.

I say just man up and do the full Epic!

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Driving from Mirimbah, via TBJ to Pinnacle Trk would be 30+ mins I'd say, so you would have to be in your shuttle driver's good books for the hour round trip.

I say just man up and do the full Epic!
agree’d, ride up mt sterling rd, only takes about an hr, then jump onto circuit rd & continue

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’d happily ride it again, but it might see the end of a couple of the guys I ride with. They’re already converting to eBikes for their 5 runs at the You Yangs and this would destroy any hope of keeping them on an Acoustic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
I’d happily ride it again, but it might see the end of a couple of the guys I ride with. They’re already converting to eBikes for their 5 runs at the You Yangs and this would destroy any hope of keeping them on an Acoustic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pS when does it open for the season?

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I haven’t been to Mt Buller in 3-4 years but going to be in Mansfield over Xmas and can’t wait to go ride the epic trail with my brother.

Last time I rode it was quite early days and was trying to set a hot Strava time. We did it twice in a day.

Oh how times have changed