Mount Stanley dissapointing

matt_27

Likes Dirt
last weekend we went over to mt stanley , sections were ok but it was a lot of fireroads not 6kms of dh trail, 1st section then the rock garden , then it went onto a road then hit a last section at the bottom , then another road, from the site it look heaps better, shuttles took a fair while too. just want to know who has ridden it and if we went the right way? ahah

caught up with some dudes from albury (he got a flat) shuttled him up with us n he thaught it would have been longer , has anyone been there and run the full track?

cheers matt

browny_5

Likes Dirt
been a while since ive ridden it but from what i remember you are only on fire road for one stretch then back onto single track. love to go ride it again.

joe

spinner

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have a look here: http://forums.farkin.net/showthread.php?t=142866&highlight=stanley

After the rock garden , its down to the road gap , a bit more singletrack , then a fast firetrail bit for 300m , then flat firetrail , then fast again. I guess its 1 to 1.5 km of firetrail all up. Another short bit near the end , maybe 50m ?

The info on the old Chaingang site is hyped up. To make it 6 kms long you have to keep going past the pickup point and down fire trail to the gate at the farmers property. No one does it because it crap. So its not really the longest DH trail in Australia unless you like pedalling flat firetrail.

Info on the trail is not on the new Chaingang site , because its not approved by Parks Vic as far as I know.

DIRT ROCKS N TREES

Likes Bikes
sounds like you took a right turn on the fire road (mawson fire rd )and picked up the last bit of single track dont turn off until your looking up a big hill which is after flat section of fire rd the single track is on the right just as your in the bottom of the gully hard to see first time cause your doing about 70klm+ and thinking youve gone the wrong way :eek::)

gravity

Likes Dirt
Have a look at this video- http://www.mtbmovies.com/movies.php?id=228 and tell us if it looks like you rode most of the actual DH trail ? Sounds like you missed a whole bunch. If you turned right onto Malsem Track where the vehicle tracks split instead of going left u missed a bunch !! It's true it's closer to 5km when u take out the lower section of firetrail which is pedally but it's still up there as one of the biggest tracks in Oz. There will be a DH shuttle day planned for Sun Dec 7 this year. I spoke to Parks Vic and they are ok with it...they do acknowledge the DH trail and hopefully it will become more formalised.

Cheers, Paul

p.s.- oh yeah...bloody long track bloody long shuttle without a chairlift....what do u expect !! :)

Last edited:

DIRT ROCKS N TREES

Likes Bikes
thanks for that correction gravity malsem fire rd was going off memory, has the track been rebuilt , last time i was there the bushfire knocked it about abit especially the jumps made over fallen trees and is there any shuttle dates for febuary heading that way then via thredbo and mt beauty

gravity

Likes Dirt
thanks for that correction gravity malsem fire rd was going off memory, has the track been rebuilt , last time i was there the bushfire knocked it about abit especially the jumps made over fallen trees and is there any shuttle dates for febuary heading that way then via thredbo and mt beauty
Yeah the track has recovered from a fuel reduction burn over a year ago now and all the logs across the track have been cleared up. The burnoff did stuff up a few jumps where fallen trees were part of them but it's all good now. When did you ride their last ? Shuttles are possible in Feb for at least a couple of you if you are keen. Send me a message. Cheers, Paul