VIC Mountain Bike circuit in Quarry Park Footscray

jwsymons

Cannon Fodder
This is my first post so hello to everyone.

I wanted to highlight a project some friends of mine and I are working on and to see if people in the MTB world would like to support it.

Maribyrnong Council has released a draft plan to redevelop Quarry Park in Footscray.
https://www.maribyrnong.vic.gov.au/...ry_Park_Draft_Masterplan_for_Consultation.pdf

They mention the possibility of a mountain bike circuit but only in passing.

Our vision is to have the Maribyrnong City Council create a community-defined, well-planned, often-used multi-use bicycle park that provides ongoing benefits to the cycling community of the Western Suburbs and beyond for decades to come.
We (myself, John Symons, my friends Martin Fluker and Duncan MacGregor, and many other people we have been talking with) feel that the plan to redevelop Quarry Park is a golden opportunity to construct the sort of imaginative and creative bicycle infrastructure needed to give cycling the boost it needs as specified in several Maribyrnong Council strategic plans feel that the existing Masterplan for Quarry Park is fundamentally flawed in that it lacks the sort of imaginative and creative bicycle infrastructure needed to give cycling the boost it needs as specified in several Maribyrnong Council strategic plans. The vision we have, and have shared with many others, would not be met if the current plan is followed
If this application is not supported by a “wave of people power” and forwarded to the Maribyrnong City Council by mid July (this is the date that they are asking for public submissions), we will be given something that we feel could be so much better for our riding community and miss a golden opportunity to encourage more people to cycle. Just imagine if the Quarry Park included a cyclocross/bmx/beginner mountain bike course similar to the one due to open in Newtown, Geelong on June 30, 2016

We have created a Facebook to support it with the relevant links and petition
https://www.facebook.com/groups/footCXray/

Thanks for taking the time to read this post

cheers
John

Freediver

I can go full Karen
That's quite close to my place but it would have to be done well to get me there and you would have to understand how Maribyrnong City Council does nothing well if you're a local. There is no way they would allow track features that might hurt people. They would spend a fortune on consultants and then make something completely lame. I'll check out what your up to when someone who uses facebook comes over. I don't so I can't see your page and I'm not registering a facebook account because Zuckerburg is a shit stained asshat that doesn't respect privacy.
We do have some sneaky, semi approved single track sections being made in a couple of spots along the river further upstream which will always appeal more to me.
Send me a pm if your interested in the upstream stuff.

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have signed (though not local, but I do spend quite a bit of time near there) but I have sent through to my buddy who is local.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
I should add that doing this through facebook is a dumb idea. There are 4 blokes I ride with that are part of your target market but only one of them uses facebook.

Jpez

Down on the left!
I should add that doing this through facebook is a dumb idea. There are 4 blokes I ride with that are part of your target market but only one of them uses facebook.
Well instead of just labelling it a dumb idea why don't you suggest another alternative to reach your non Facebooking mates??

If you don't ask you don't get in this world. I agree its going to be tough to impossible to sway Maribyrnong council. I have had personal dealings with them and there is a reason why one of the councillors got a smack in the chops at a community meeting.

I can't say it would be something I would use regularly JWSymons but good luck with it. It can only be a good thing for the area and the proposed open green sporting space being proposed by the council now that is just like the other 4 open green sporting spaces within cooee of the place is a piss poor effort so I applaud anybody trying to make it a better place. Especially for two wheels.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
Sorry I wasn't very helpful there, I should have said just putting it on facebook is a dumb idea because you have have an account to be able to view it. You could use something like wordpress.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
Yep, it's tiny and the track will be designed by someone with a background in public safety rather than MTB. They will spend 100's of 1000's on art and making ovals and then the MTB track will be added when funding becomes available because it's less important than abstract sculptures and footy grounds.
We have a useless council led by somebody I thought was an idiot when I first met her about 25 years ago when she was just a teenager. She has since proven my first assumption to be correct.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Drove past that on the weekend with a couple of riding buddies, didn't notice the bike trail - but saw there's a wicked little pump track that looks very nearly completed. Some of the humps on it were very steep/'sharp' and obviously aimed at being turned into doubles rather than rolled - could be fun!