NSW Mountain bike riders set to blaze a trail through national parks

Scott

bAdmin
Staff member
Rob from Northern Beaches MTB sent this interesting news through.

SYDNEY'S mountain bikers have always been hampered by one thing - a conspicuous lack of proper mountain trails.

Instead they have independently, usually illegally, carved their own tracks through national parks around the city fringes.

This could be about to change, with the state government to release a discussion paper today on ways of balancing the needs of the state's 30,000 dedicated mountain bike riders with those of people who go to national parks for the trees and wildlife, peace and quiet.

From SMH here (took up a good deal of page 3 in print):
http://www.smh.com.au/environment/mountain-bike-riders-set-to-blaze-a-tr...

The Manly Daily's Take:
http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/news/story/bush-bike-trails-debate/

DECCW media release is here:
http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/media/DecMedia10091001.htm

And the paper is here... discussion closes 18 October:
https://mountainbiking.discussions.nsw.gov.au/

donny70

Likes Dirt
Cheers for this. Nice to have all the different takes in one spot. Makes for interesting reading

scratchy

Farkin Activist
So we encourage people to click on https://mountainbiking.discussions.nsw.gov.au/

There are several areas to comment on so put a comment in each one supporting Mountain Biking.

Something like this below (a copy of Mr Nightingale post) is a good post as it talks about sustainable responsible mountain biking. People who wish to prevent Mountain Bikers often cite that we are hoons destroying the ambience of the bush. So if you enjoy the bush make sure you say so.

"I fully support sustainable, responsible mountain biking within NSW many national parks. With the knowledge gained locally and from overseas building of trails can be done with minimal erosion and degradation to the environment NPWS is trying to protect and mountain bikers wish to experience and enjoy.
Having legal, well built trails minimises the chances of illegal, poorly built trails being created, and I believe NPWS would be pleasantly surprised at the number of volunteers that would get involved in trail building and maintenance activities. I for one would happily volunteer my time in the Blue Mountains NP to build such trails.
Legal mountain bike trails in national parks is a win-win situation, for riders, NPWS with increased patronage, and local businesses who will more likely see increases in business as a result of riders ‘hanging around’ to enjoy the local area."

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Just to put some perspective.

There seems to be a lot of comment in there already ... predominantly positive, which may cause some riders and supporters to think that it is all home and hosed.

Don't be lulled in by this seeming safety blanket of support ... This does not show the volume of written correspondence via email and post which are also being accepted. This would likely be the main avenue that those opposed will take, as they may not want to be confrontational or do not want their details publicly available or more likely just play their usual behind the scenes stealth tactics.

Don't let them do it, I encourage all of you, even if you are inter-state to provide written, positive and constructive support to the discussion paper, as overwhelming numbers are needed to ensure Our Voices are heard.

I have personally experienced the crashing blow that one or two votes from non-supporters (NIMBYs) have inflicted on the efforts of many trail advocates. So ... Please don't sit back and think the efforts of others will be enough to win this over.

Your comments and efforts are valuable and more importantly NEEDED to force an important and long awaited paradigm shift in the thinking of our Political leaders and Land Managers, so as to allow Legitimate, Sustainable, Volunteer supported trails in our parks and managed reserves.

Thanks to All that have participated and have put in countless hours working with various land managers, political leaders and those more open and less extreme stakeholders (on all sides) in this process.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have asked for clarification on whether the submissions that have been emailed or posted in will be available for public comment in the same manner that the one posted on the Government discussion page are.

The reply was expected, but here it is below.

No, submissions that are submitted via email or mail will not be published on the Mountain Biking Forum and will not be available for other users of the forum to view or comment on.
This makes it even more important for everyone to make a submission because we really don't know what we are up against with those who do not support the plan. We need to show greater numbers to start with.

Interestingly I haven't found anything on the NPA website about this yet.

Mr Green

Likes Dirt
Ive done my submission.

Intersting and positive to see Shimano Australia providing a link to this on thier website http://www.shimano.com.au/

I think other bicycle companies that profit from mountain biking should support and promote this initiative.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Public forum dates and venues have been announced

Public forum dates and venues have been announced.

Public Forums

A number of public forums will be held around New South Wales to seek comments on the proposals within this paper and the approach we are taking:

Newcastle: Thursday 23 September 6-8pm, Kahibah Bowling Club, 63 Kenibea Avenue, Kahibah

Nowra: Thursday 30 September 6-8pm, Nowra Showground, West St, Nowra

Springwood: Tuesday 5 October 6-8pm, Springwood Country Club, Hawkesbury Rd, Springwood. Please RSVP to 4784 7300 or blue.mountains@environment.nsw.gov.au.

Turramurra: Thursday 7 October 6-8pm, Turramurra Bowling Club, 181 Bobbin Head Road Turramurra. Please RSVP to 13PARK (137275) or annual.passes@environment.nsw.gov.au.

Jindabyne: Tuesday 12 October 6-8pm, Horizons Resort, Kosciusko Road, Jindabyne

Sutherland: TBA

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Extended closing date and more venue information.

The closing date for submissions has been extended to Monday 25 October due to high public interest.

Public Forums

A number of public forums will be held around New South Wales to seek comments on the proposals within this paper and the approach we are taking:

Springwood: Tuesday 5 October 6-8pm, Springwood Country Club, Hawkesbury Rd, Springwood. Please RSVP to 4784 7300 or blue.mountains@environment.nsw.gov.au.

Turramurra: Thursday 7 October 6-8pm, Turramurra Bowling Club, 181 Bobbin Head Road, Turramurra. Please RSVP to 13PARK (137275) or annual.passes@environment.nsw.gov.au.

Jindabyne: Tuesday 12 October 6-8pm, Horizons Resort, Kosciusko Road, Jindabyne.

NEW! Sutherland: Wednesday 13 October 6-8pm, Sutherland United Services Club, 7 East Parade, Sutherland. Please RSVP to 13PARK (137275) or annual.passes@environment.nsw.gov.au.

NEW! Port Macquarie: Tuesday 19 October 6-8pm, Port Macquarie Golf Club, Ocean Drive, Port Macquarie.