Mountain bikers with a point to prove

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
As the only Olympic mountain bike event the cross country race at the SRAM Australian MTB Championships, at Eagle MTB Park in Adelaide this Saturday, is sure to be a hotly contested affair.

Rowena Fry (TAS) will be heavily marked as she aims to defend her title in the women’s race but favouritism is far hard to pin-point in the men’s event.

Lachlan Norris (VIC), the 2009 U23 Australian Champion, will be stepping up to the senior ranks this year and is making no secret of his ambitions.

“Winning the elite national title is something I’ve always wanted to do and I think this year, compared to the last few, I’m in a much better position to do so,” the 22-year-old said.

“In other years there’s always been a standout favourite but that’s not the case this time around.

“I think I’m a lot stronger but others have improved as well so the overall level is higher and it’s a really tight field.

“Sid Taberlay (TAS) is always dangerous and has had some good results recently. But I think the one to beat will be Daniel McConnell (VIC) and you can never underestimate Adrian Jackson (VIC) who is really strong.”

After finishing 11th at the world championships last year, in the U23 category, he is hoping to make the Australian team for the elite race in 2010 and says the Australian championships will play an important role in achieving that objective.

However, like many mountain bikers, particularly after the recent funding cuts to the high performance program, Norris also has a heavy program of road racing.

“My road program will match in pretty well with my mountain bike commitments and the two complement each pretty other,” he said on the back of a solid seventh in the criterium at Australian Road Championships last week.

“But my heart is on the dirt. And like plenty of other mountain bikers I’m motivated by the funding cuts as we all think we’re as good as the athletes on any cycling program and we’re out to prove a point this year.”

Unlike the men, in the women’s race there is a clear pecking order with Rowena Fry (TAS) holding the position of being the hunted one.

Her main challengers are expected to come from last year’s silver medallist Jo Wall (VIC) and Katherine O’Shea (VIC), who won last season’s national series. Others to watch include local favourite Therese Rhodes (SA) and newcomer Heather Logie (ACT), who finished an impressive second behind Fry in round one of the national series.

Well aware of the old cliché that it’s harder to stay on top than it is to get to the top Fry said, “I’m excited going into the race but if I can win there’ll also be a feeling of relief.”

“There’s nothing that can make you more proud than representing you country overseas and wearing the green and gold jersey of Australian champion.”

Leaving no stone unturned in her title defense, the 27-year-old has been training on the course to ensure there are no surprises on Saturday.

“It’s a very fast course, with a lot of single track,” she said.

“The way the course is laid out it will be hard to gain time but easy to lose time.

“And although there’s not a lot of climbing, the climbs are short and sharp so you’ll need to be pretty punchy in those sections.

“But the biggest factor is that it’s a hard course to pass on, which will make the start and the whole first lap really important.”

The cross country race in the SRAM Australian Mountain Bike Championships will be raced at Eagle MTB Park in Adelaide Hills on Saturday 16 January 2010.

SRAM Australian MTB Championships – Event Schedule

Tuesday 12 – Thursday 14 January 2010
Practice sessions
Team relay (Thursday from 12:30pm)

Friday 15 January 2010
8:30am Cross Country – veteran women, sport, masters, super masters, U17 and U15 women
10:30am Cross Country – U17 men, U15, masters, super masters and grand super masters men
12:30pm Cross Country – sport men A, sport men B
3:30pm 4X seeding
6:30pm 4X finals

Saturday 16 January 2010
8:30am Cross Country – Elite, U23 and U19 women
10:00am Trials heats and finals
11.00am Cross Country - Elite and U23 men
2:00pm Country Cross – U19 men, veteran, expert men

Sunday 17 January 2010
9:30am Short Course Cross Country – Sport men
10:00am Short Course Cross Country – U19
10:30am Short Course Cross Country – open women
11:00am Short Course Cross Country – elite men
10:00am Downhill – U17, U15, Expert, Masters, Veterans and Sport men, U17, U15, Veterans, Masters, Sport and Super Masters women
11:30am Dirt Jumps final
2.00pm Downhill – Elite Men, Elite Women, U19 Men, U19 Women

Matthew Keenan - Jump Media and Marketing