Mountain Bikes Direct Bike Of The Month - October

Which is your pick for Mountain Bikes Direct Bike Of The Month for October?

• Craftworks

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • 5010 v2

Votes: 15 19.2%
  • RM Slayer

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • Turner Czar

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • Orbea

Votes: 7 9.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Heyo 'Burners, welcome to the new(ish) Bike Of The Month, kindly supported by the funky dudes at Mountain Bikes Direct.
MDB bike of the month.jpg

As you may have read in the Site News/Suggestions section, the idea is that you post up a thread in this section about your bike, the story behind it and a few pics and why it's so awesome. It's not simply about the newest, slickest build, we also want to see your old faithfuls that you're still in love with long after the new bike smell has washed off.
Here's how it works. All new Post Your Ride threads each month are eligible for shortlisting (although I've cribbed a couple from September this time around), . Bikes that stand out from the crowd are shortlisted (I don't have an exact number that will be shortlisted, it could well vary depending on how many bikes are submitted). At the end of the month I'll post another thread like this one with all the shortlisted bikes, and open it up for you guys to vote on! The poll will be open for one week, after which the winner will be announced, and a $50 voucher from Mountain Bikes Direst will be whizzing their way!

So without further ado, I present to you the nominees for October's Mountain Bikes Direct Bike Of The Month!

In no particular order, Jenk0s's Craftworks

beeb's 5010

teK--'s Rocky Mountain Slayer

slider_phil's Turner Czar

PoSM's Orbea

Last edited:

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Am I going to have to change the thread title on my Liteville 301 thread to something more PC to collect my win for November?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Heyo 'Burners, welcome to the new(ish) Bike Of The Month, kindly supported by the funky dudes at Mountain Bikes Direct.

As you may have read in the Site News/Suggestions section, the idea is that you post up a thread in this section about your bike, the story behind it and a few pics and why it's so awesome. It's not simply about the newest, slickest build, we also want to see your old faithfuls that you're still in love with long after the new bike smell has washed off.
Here's how it works. All new Post Your Ride threads each month are eligible for shortlisting (although I've cribbed a couple from September this time around), . Bikes that stand out from the crowd are shortlisted (I don't have an exact number that will be shortlisted, it could well vary depending on how many bikes are submitted). At the end of the month I'll post another thread like this one with all the shortlisted bikes, and open it up for you guys to vote on! The poll will be open for one week, after which the winner will be announced, and a $50 voucher from Mountain Bikes Direst will be whizzing their way!

So without further ado, I present to you the nominees for October's Mountain Bikes Direct Bike Of The Month!

In no particular order, Jenk0s's Craftworks

beeb's 5010

teK--'s Rocky Mountain Slayer

slider_phil's Turner Czar

PoSM's OrbeaWhich is yor
Nice work, be interesting to see who gets the votes.

Beebs at an advantage with the Teks Slayer hotlink linking to the 5010!

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Am I going to have to change the thread title on my Liteville 301 thread to something more PC to collect my win for November?

I'll bite and get in before our resident Alice contributor...and 'cause I've got a few onboard.

Meh...you were never going to get a look in when all you post is a couple of pics of some dodgy welds, yup it'll be nice when complete cos Liteville but it's hardly BotM material yet, and Xmas next month and I reckon there has been more than a few of us that have been good boys & girls this year so December BotM could be a bumper of a month...sorry/

Last edited:

Oddjob

I'll bite and get in before our resident Alice contributor...and 'cause I've got a few onboard.

Meh...you were never going to get a look in when all you post is a couple of pics of some dodgy welds, yup it'll be nice when complete cos Liteville but it's hardly BotM material yet, and Xmas next month and I reckon there has been more than a few of us that have been good boys & girls this year so December BotM could be a bumper of a month...sorry/
Ever seen a bike with needle bearings at all pivots and IGUS bushings? No!? Ever seen a DVO Diamond with ramp control on the fly? No!? How about hybrid a Shimano/Hope brake set with kevlar braided lines? No!?

Oh ye of little faith. Your eyes will soon bleed with the beauty.

Oddjob

Bike should be complete and rideable, to qualify. Some builds take months.
Details...

PS @link1896 and @Duckmeister. I used Lanotec heavy duty for the wheel build and it worked a treat. Very little spoke wind up and the lanotec dried a little bit tacky but still easy to adjust the nipples. Would probably even work for *gasp* alloy nipples.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
What about loctite 515? The red gasket sealer, that shit ends up tacky as fuuuuuuck and never seems to dry out fully.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Ever seen a bike with needle bearings at all pivots and IGUS bushings? No!? Ever seen a DVO Diamond with ramp control on the fly? No!? How about hybrid a Shimano/Hope brake set with kevlar braided lines? No!?

Please tag me in said build log. K thanks. Just curious to know why you'd use anything from a shimano brake.

Last edited:

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Details...

PS @link1896 and @Duckmeister. I used Lanotec heavy duty for the wheel build and it worked a treat. Very little spoke wind up and the lanotec dried a little bit tacky but still easy to adjust the nipples. Would probably even work for *gasp* alloy nipples.

For my next build I'm custom painting carbon rims, fork lowers and frame. Going to take me a long time, build thread is going to be a drip feed like the old brain rebuild thread.

Enjoy your stinky nipples. Your nickname is quite fitting.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Can't say I have, but my care factor for what others are riding is about duck egg.

With your previously supplied pics my eyes may bleed, more likely from the Frankensteins monster this has the potential to turn into...good work Dr.

Big question is are you going to ride the f#@king thing

Last edited:

Oddjob

Big question is are you going to ride the f#@king thing
F@#k yes! I usually get 2 rides a week on my local trail. Usually entailing a 5am start and a train and ferry ride. The ride includes about 17km of riding (7km pavement, 10km dirt) and gets me to my desk by 9am. Once the Liteville is up and running I will probably drop the ferry ride and ride to the trail from a closer train station. This will stretch the ride to about 25km (15km of pavement) and get me to my desk a little earlier.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What about loctite 515? The red gasket sealer, that shit ends up tacky as fuuuuuuck and never seems to dry out fully.
I use 515 quite a bit putting agricultural transmissions etc back together. That stuff can dry pretty hard if it's sealed between two bits. But otherwise yeah, gets real tacky.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
F@#k yes! I usually get 2 rides a week on my local trail. Usually entailing a 5am start and a train and ferry ride. The ride includes about 17km of riding (7km pavement, 10km dirt) and gets me to my desk by 9am. Once the Liteville is up and running I will probably drop the ferry ride and ride to the trail from a closer train station. This will stretch the ride to about 25km (15km of pavement) and get me to my desk a little earlier.

Pffft, call yourself a commuter.......

How do you manage all your bikes? Surely there's some that haven't seen daylight?

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
I use 515 quite a bit putting agricultural transmissions etc back together. That stuff can dry pretty hard if it's sealed between two bits. But otherwise yeah, gets real tacky.
It must Depend on the pressure sealing it, I’ve pulled a a mechanical seal out a pump 4 years after I 515’d it in and it was still tacky.

More importantly it smells better than sheep grease