Moving to Canada for 12 months - what to take???

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
I’m still not sure this is wise but my wife and i are about to pack up our kids (6 and 10) and live in canada for a year :eek:. We figure now is about the best time to do it (before my daughter starts high school). We will land in Vancouver mid April and make out way to Nelson on the edge of the Rockies to live for 12 months. We spent a bit of time there last year and loved it. Small town but we will be maintaining a few days a week work here in Oz by working remotely. Anyway...

What do I take?

I need to travel as light as possible but don’t want to forget something essential. My list so far is:
  • bike (Transition Sentinel - spec in link)
  • light full face (Troy Lee Stage) and goggles
  • knee and elbow pads, gloves and general riding gear
  • hydration pack (‘cause I haven’t sorted the bottle/tool storage option yet)
  • flat and clipless pedals
  • shock pump
  • basic tools including a multi-tool, spoke wrench, Allen keys and torx set
  • torque wrench and bits
  • ????
I figure Canada knows a thing or two about mountain biking so they have consumables covered (chain/tyres etc). I also figure I can get my suspension serviced before i leave then again while I’m there.

While there will be amazing riding to be done, the downside is a limited season due to snow rolling in for a good 5-6 months.

I should mention that I will also try to get to Whistler for a good 2-3 days bombing in June.

I’m trying to resist taking a spare rear wheel, brake bleed kit, fork oil etc but let me know your experience and what is essential.

Also, if you have any local knowledge of Nelson, Rossland, Retallack - tell me where to ride.

Thanks!

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
Have you considered selling your bike and then buying one in Canada? Might be a lot cheaper.

Reactions: SDA

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’m still not sure this is wise but my wife and i are about to pack up our kids (6 and 10) and live in canada for a year :eek:. We figure now is about the best time to do it (before my daughter starts high school). We will land in Vancouver mid April and make out way to Nelson on the edge of the Rockies to live for 12 months. We spent a bit of time there last year and loved it. Small town but we will be maintaining a few days a week work here in Oz by working remotely. Anyway...

What do I take?

I need to travel as light as possible but don’t want to forget something essential. My list so far is:
  • bike (Transition Sentinel - spec in link)
  • light full face (Troy Lee Stage) and goggles
  • knee and elbow pads, gloves and general riding gear
  • hydration pack (‘cause I haven’t sorted the bottle/tool storage option yet)
  • flat and clipless pedals
  • shock pump
  • basic tools including a multi-tool, spoke wrench, Allen keys and torx set
  • torque wrench and bits
  • ????
I figure Canada knows a thing or two about mountain biking so they have consumables covered (chain/tyres etc). I also figure I can get my suspension serviced before i leave then again while I’m there.

While there will be amazing riding to be done, the downside is a limited season due to snow rolling in for a good 5-6 months.

I should mention that I will also try to get to Whistler for a good 2-3 days bombing in June.

I’m trying to resist taking a spare rear wheel, brake bleed kit, fork oil etc but let me know your experience and what is essential.

Also, if you have any local knowledge of Nelson, Rossland, Retallack - tell me where to ride.

Thanks!
Hey Mate I've done Retallack last year and am going back again with some mates this year. It's not cheap but I do feel it's value for money when you see what you get. The riding is off tap and the heli biking is definitely the highlight. Below is a link to the video I did there last year to give you an idea of the place.

Nelson is really good from what everyone there told me but I didn't have time to hit it. I can suggest Squamish as well. It's a very earn your turns place but the trails are well maintained and super fun.

I found Canada very expensive for bike stuff apart from bikes themselves and found that a mixed bag. Around Whistler there was a lot of competition so the bikes were pretty cheap but elsewhere it was pretty outrageous. You will get second hand bikes in really good knick for insane prices if you are ok with used. Tyres for example were super expensive. I grabbed a Maxxis Assegai over there and it cost me $134. The same tyre here in stores or online $90-$99.

I'm jealous. I love Canada and I think you'll have a blast mate. Enjoy.

yuley95

Have you considered selling your bike and then buying one in Canada? Might be a lot cheaper.
Not really. Should only be about $50 each way in extra baggage and I love my bike so not willing to risk selling it and not getting what I’m after

yuley95

Hey Mate I've done Retallack last year and am going back again with some mates this year. It's not cheap but I do feel it's value for money when you see what you get. The riding is off tap and the heli biking is definitely the highlight. Below is a link to the video I did there last year to give you an idea of the place.

Nelson is really good from what everyone there told me but I didn't have time to hit it. I can suggest Squamish as well. It's a very earn your turns place but the trails are well maintained and super fun.

I found Canada very expensive for bike stuff apart from bikes themselves and found that a mixed bag. Around Whistler there was a lot of competition so the bikes were pretty cheap but elsewhere it was pretty outrageous. You will get second hand bikes in really good knick for insane prices if you are ok with used. Tyres for example were super expensive. I grabbed a Maxxis Assegai over there and it cost me $134. The same tyre here in stores or online $90-$99.

I'm jealous. I love Canada and I think you'll have a blast mate. Enjoy.

Just had a quick scrub through that vid and already looks awesome. I’ll have to watch it properly later. I’m really looking forward to not working full time and living a bit closer to nature. One of my favourite parts of mountain biking is that I get to spend time in the bush. My wife grew up in the bush and we both feel the need to be away from the city and in nature for a while..

Thanks for the tips re the cost of things. Maybe I’ll pack a spare rear tyre (I have one in the shed)

treble

Likes Dirt
I lived in Whistler/Vancouver for a little while a few years ago. Took my bike from Aus with me, and was glad I did once I had wandered around a few bike shops. Prices were similar to here, but factor in exchange rate and taxes and I was far better off.

If you would prefer to take a bit extra and not pay loads of baggage fees, Mannix Freight Services in Vancouver are good. I sent my bike and gear home when I left Canada and kept traveling. Was very happy with the service.

yuley95

I lived in Whistler/Vancouver for a little while a few years ago. Took my bike from Aus with me, and was glad I did once I had wandered around a few bike shops. Prices were similar to here, but factor in exchange rate and taxes and I was far better off.

If you would prefer to take a bit extra and not pay loads of baggage fees, Mannix Freight Services in Vancouver are good. I sent my bike and gear home when I left Canada and kept traveling. Was very happy with the service.
Thanks for the tip. It might be worth sending my bike home once the season is done