Moving to/living in Tasmania

Felixe

Likes Bikes
And looked as cool as this:

[/QUOTE]

Errr, that machine is missing some parts!!! Probably took them to Cashies at Glenorchy!

Felixe

Likes Bikes
What is Smithton or Scottsdale like ... thinking of buying ........ where in these areas will I need a flak jacket? Sorry Just want to know where in these two areas nice.
Scottsdale is a nice little country town, about 45 minutes drive from L'ton (from memory) and 2 hrs from St Helens on the coast, such a long windy road. It was experiencing difficulties as the local mill(s) were closing leaving a large number unemployed.

I have never been to Smithton, only as far as Burnie.

floody

Wheel size expert
Smithton and Scottsdale are nice but too far from work for anyone but forestry/mining/farm workers or retirees. Smithton is declining as its major employer McCains is downsizing.

seventyseven

percent of Australians blame the bike for their cr
You'd do well if you sold tyres in Tasmania ;)
the bob jane t marts situated servicing the northern suburbs (which are all shitholes) sells more rims than any other bob jane in the country.

and i bet 99% of them are on commodores and the other 1% hyundai excels with massive bodykits. perhaps a riced lancer or two.

felts bend

Likes Bikes
be prepared to deal with absolute pure & utter tradie central. i think 90% of lauderdales male population must be tradies. roches beach & acton,

May i ask what is wrong with being a tradie as i know a lot of us on here are tradesmen, are we lesser people because we didnt attend uni?

floody

Wheel size expert
I reckon he's talking SS-ute-with-dolce-chromes-harvey-norman-to-the-eyeballs-paint-splattered-unit-hat-tasteless-mcmansion-dwelling-spiv tradies. The sort who would be wankers no matter what their vocation, and boy oh boy is there a lot of them.

seventyseven

percent of Australians blame the bike for their cr
May i ask what is wrong with being a tradie as i know a lot of us on here are tradesmen, are we lesser people because we didnt attend uni?
I reckon he's talking SS-ute-with-dolce-chromes-harvey-norman-to-the-eyeballs-paint-splattered-unit-hat-tasteless-mcmansion-dwelling-spiv tradies. The sort who would be wankers no matter what their vocation, and boy oh boy is there a lot of them.
floody gets it. but no i was actually simply saying that it's tradie central.

that means trade work, footy, v8 utes, etc. there's a footy club & a pretty heavy orbit around it. the place couldn't be more stereotypical if it tried. some people like that (personally i find most tradies hilarious, you're never bored with them), some find it just plain annoying (due to 3am burnouts, outrageously loud stories about spit roasting girls [because that's really classy] etc etc).

Last edited:

felts bend

Likes Bikes
thanks for clearing that up i've never heard that terminology before i must be getting old. but you pretty much summed up the whole eastern sea board with that one

herbman

Likes Dirt
rather than starting a new thread i will start this one back up.

are looking to move to tassie after a job offer turned up in my inbox last night, it looks like i could be based in devonport for the next few years if i take the job.

but i am finding it hard to find info on how good the riding is in the area. i know it will be a step back from where i am now living in central otago but how big will that step be?

thanks brent

herbman

Likes Dirt
cool thanks for that, looks like there will be as bit of driving to get to the trails rather than the 300m ride that i now have.

and has anyone spent much time in devonport? what the town like is it as full of bogans as the interwebby is telling me?

thanks brent