Moving to Sydney from Vancouver - where's the good riding?

catchcam

Cannon Fodder
Been offered a job in Sydney, so we're packing the bags! Gutted to be leaving such and awesome place for mtb, but im hoping to find some good places to ride in Australia too.

We'll spend most of our time in Sydney. Can anyone recommend some sweet trails? Parks? A bit of background: I've been riding a lot of the trails in the Vancouver, Squamish and Whistler areas... steep gnarly technical stuff, twisty windy XC stuff and a little of the Whistler park. Really enjoyed all these - the groomed stuff as well as the rough and rooty. I know Sydney's not gonna be like the North Shore.

As far as bikes go, I've been riding a Giant Reign X0 for most of that, and before we knew we were moving to Sydney I was thinking about getting a Santa cruz nomad or Specialized Enduro. I wanted something that would 'handle the jandal' on the down hills and be a semi decent climber on the uphills.

For Sydney, I'm pretty certain the above bikes would be too much bike for the trails - but does anyone here on RB ride anything like them (All mountain) in Sydney? I was thinking about dropping down to a Stumpjumer or a Santa Cruz Blur LT or similar.

Would love to hear from anyone who rides in Sydney, knows the trails well and who could let me know about what bike would suit.

Cheers, Cam.

cru_jones

Likes Bikes
Hi Cam

I ride AM on a Reign SX with DHX 5 AIR, Fox Float 36's and it eats up every trail (up or down) I throw it at around Sydney.. drop me a line when you get to town, I ride with a small group of guys most weekends mate :)

Husky360

Likes Bikes
Hey Cam,

I am from the North Wollongong area which is about 1.5hrs south of Sydney.
I am currently living in North Van, Lynn Valley area and have been for here for the last year and half.

There are lots of trails around Sydney which will keep your weeknds full of riding. I ride a scott voltage and does the job well.
But you're right, we are spoilt by the MTBing to be had here on the Sea to Sky and I dont like to think about the riding I will miss out on when I go back home.

Where abouts you moving to in Sydney?
If you want some details on areas to ride south of Sydney, PM me.

Cheers.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
I can't believe no-one has said this yet!!!!

"Moving to Sydney from Vancouver - where's the good riding?"......Vancouver!:very_drunk:

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Lots of Reigns (and Rain :pirate:) in Sydney ... as well as Nomads. Some would say the nomad is over kill, some would say its perfect. I'd say its over kill for the majority of trails you'll ride here

I'm happy to intro you to a couple of favs when your settled.

PM when your ready and we can tee something up.

I haven't ridden North Van ... and obviously Sydney won't have the steepness youre use to, but there is still a lot of tech here. That said, if you can wrangle a Blur LT there is prolly more trails suited to it

Al

Lorday

Eats Squid
I'm from about an hour NW outta sydney.
My Favourite trail is Wisemans Ferry. I can show you around, and I can even assure you a bit of sketchy, steep, loose fun. PM when your here I'll I'll show you around.

wotsis

Likes Dirt
"Moving to Sydney from Vancouver - where's the good riding?"......Vancouver!:very_drunk:
Exactly! That's kind of like saying "I'm moving from Sydney to Vancouver- where're the good beaches?"

I've lived in both cities. Perhaps the OP should be looking to get into surfing or sailing- water is the big advantage that Sydney has over Van :)

dunndog

Eats Squid
New Zealand. Dunno if the bridge is open, but if you can hop a ride in a kangaroo pouch you'll find some great stuff there!

MtbDjRidaSachaz66

Likes Dirt
I'm from about an hour NW outta sydney.
My Favourite trail is Wisemans Ferry. I can show you around, and I can even assure you a bit of sketchy, steep, loose fun. PM when your here I'll I'll show you around.
Wisemans Ferry has some farking good shit! So much more potential for that place given the terrain and environment there.

Youre gonna be disappointed.
+ 1 ... In comparison to Vancouver.