Moving to Tasmania for bikes!

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
So after radio silence and trying to get a hold of them for over a month with no luck, the Maydena job eventually fell through as they're not as busy mid week as they were expecting... And coming into their first winter they're unsure how things will go.

The original offer was retracted and changed to two days a week, being Sat/Sun. Not feasible to move to such a remote area for 2 days a week, with minimal to no other options in the area, and being too far to drive to Hobart and back every other day.

Pretty shit considering the whole move down to Tas was planned around the Maydena job offer.

So, ended up moving to Launceston, staying with a friend until we can get on our feet.

Had my first ride down here in Tas yesterday... A quick spin around Trevallyn.

Pretty much just XC with an excessive amount of rollers, but good for something 10 mins from home. There was a 200m long black trail which was more tech and a tad steeper, but not long enough to really tick my boxes. Looking forward to checking out Kate Reed, Hollybank and more Derby before hitting up Maydena when I get a chance!

slowmick

38-39"
well that sucks balls.glad you have somewhere to stay short term while you plan your next move. good luck with it all.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
well that sucks balls.glad you have somewhere to stay short term while you plan your next move. good luck with it all.
Thanks, yeah it's really lucky that we had this to fall back on... Especially as finding work is proving to be somewhat difficult, and finding a new home without work isn't feasible as accumulated funds will deplete SUPER fast.

At least for the time being, life down here so far is more relaxed and less congested, with the general populace being nicer than Melbourne folk... And I can drive to the supermarket without nearly getting into a car accident due to some chump not paying attention or being wildly impatient!

So far it's a win, just gotta find income!
Shame I'm not a hot girl with loose morals...

rstim

Likes Dirt
So after radio silence and trying to get a hold of them for over a month with no luck, the Maydena job eventually fell through as they're not as busy mid week as they were expecting... And coming into their first winter they're unsure how things will go.

The original offer was retracted and changed to two days a week, being Sat/Sun. Not feasible to move to such a remote area for 2 days a week, with minimal to no other options in the area, and being too far to drive to Hobart and back every other day.

Pretty shit considering the whole move down to Tas was planned around the Maydena job offer.

So, ended up moving to Launceston, staying with a friend until we can get on our feet.

Had my first ride down here in Tas yesterday... A quick spin around Trevallyn.

Pretty much just XC with an excessive amount of rollers, but good for something 10 mins from home. There was a 200m long black trail which was more tech and a tad steeper, but not long enough to really tick my boxes. Looking forward to checking out Kate Reed, Hollybank and more Derby before hitting up Maydena when I get a chance!
Welcome to TAS! Launceston isn't so bad plenty of good trails around I'm sure you'll find some favorites. Oh and add Wyena to your list is a cool old DH track and a jumps line near Lilydale that's worth a look it's great fun to shuttle. Sprung a local MTB shop has a shop ride every Thursday good place to meet some like minded riders and enjoy the trails even some sweet private stuff on occasions. Look it up on Facebook Troy the owner posts all the details up there.
I live out at Bridport so do most of my riding at Derby hopefully we can catch up for a ride someday, I'd love to see your Pole

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Yeah I dropped in to see Troy at Sprung on our second day here as I'd already contacted him via email to enquire about potential employment.

Had a chat and will probably join in next Thursday's shop ride, as he wasn't doing one last night.

I've had a look at the Wyena tracks on YouTube from around a month ago. They looked like they haven't had any love in a really long time.

Keen to check out Juggernaut though. Troy said it's going to get some work done soon as it hasn't really been touched since Derby hit the scene, so I'll wait for all that to happen.

I'll throw you a message when I head Derby way.

Keen to check out Penguin too!

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Thanks, yeah it's really lucky that we had this to fall back on... Especially as finding work is proving to be somewhat difficult, and finding a new home without work isn't feasible as accumulated funds will deplete SUPER fast.

At least for the time being, life down here so far is more relaxed and less congested, with the general populace being nicer than Melbourne folk... And I can drive to the supermarket without nearly getting into a car accident due to some chump not paying attention or being wildly impatient!

So far it's a win, just gotta find income!
Shame I'm not a hot girl with loose morals...
How do you look in a dress? I've seen what passes down there..youre in with a shot

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
G’day , I’ve been under a rock for a couple of years ...
just (currently in Tas for Agfest ) so have bought my bike , spent t,he day at Derby yesterday - started high on Atlas and worked my way down .
Did two tubes ( my fault ) ran out of patches and co2 - ( still my fault ) , met a lovely bloke with a hand pump after a bit of s walk ....
However the trails are awesome , and would and do tell everyone I meet - get thee to Tassie !

My only reccomendation is , the trails are accessible without having to pay for shuttles , they are not “ owned or promoted “ by the bike shops in Derby , you can easily find your way around .

I’m only p.utting this out there as the trails are wonderful , the area is stunning . BUT if you try to fleece every potential customer and finish every sentence with ‘ we offer a shuttle it is not reccomended to try and find the trail head alone , this is a wilderness area ‘ it will bite you on the arse .

binner

Hath shat hymself
not necessarly moving there for bikes but applied for a position @ MONA which may help in the push for a "C change".... ohh and the bike trails do come into a little bit......well a fair bit, we shall see.....

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
not necessarly moving there for bikes but applied for a position @ MONA which may help in the push for a "C change".... ohh and the bike trails do come into a little bit......well a fair bit, we shall see.....
Shoe in! Mona has a wall of kuntz.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Yeah I dropped in to see Troy at Sprung on our second day here as I'd already contacted him via email to enquire about potential employment.
What I'd the employment scene like down there? It's a long long term plan but the wife and I have talked about a move down there more than once.. . ..

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
What I'd the employment scene like down there? It's a long long term plan but the wife and I have talked about a move down there more than once.. . ..
Not the best... Still in struggle town trying to find something.

Basically everything bike related says they're slowing down coming to Winter... Which is irritating. Had a couple calls and interviews for other work, but hasn't gone anywhere.

Same old story, everyone wants someone fresh out of school/uni with 5 years experience.