Moving to Tasmania for bikes!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Not the best... Still in struggle town trying to find something.

Basically everything bike related says they're slowing down coming to Winter... Which is irritating. Had a couple calls and interviews for other work, but hasn't gone anywhere.

Same old story, everyone wants someone fresh out of school/uni with 5 years experience.
And prepared to work really hard for peanuts.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
was in Hobart last weekend, some great riding there ... xc - nice dh as well. I could live there - really is there anywhere in Tassie that aren't great to ride, the whole place is single track.

It's always going to be hard to find work in the bike industry/tourism (well paid that is) you'd be better off being close to the main population as a starting point, then either market yourself (self-employed) by finding what's in demand, .... and/or look for a business that'll build your skillset. Noticed in Hobart there was no real food takeaway home delivery, wouldn't take much to set something up - earn the $$$s = ride more.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
And prepared to work really hard for peanuts.
100%

Just finished up a few months of labour hire work on Driscoll's berry farm, constructing tunnels for this season's raspberry and blackberry plants. Fucking hard work for shitty money.

Moving back to Vic on Wednesday.
Tas is a beautiful state to be in, but they're a little bit behind. Everything is about who you know, and not what you know - and I'm a relatively antisocial cunt. Haha.

My partner had to fall back into an industry she has no energy for anymore, just to help get by, and I've still been unable to land a solid full-time gig after just over 5 months. The labour hire work was always going to end so we haven't been able to house hunt or anything.

Really feeling positive about the move back, and are treating this move to Tas as more of a small working holiday. We've spent tons of time adventuring around, and have seen lots of amazing things.

Got a few interviews lined up on Friday. One of which is with Bikesportz, who are Australia's Hope supplier, so fingers crossed. Anyone who knows me, knows I'm Hope's bitch... Haha.

Looking forward to seeing all my Ridebros and being back in familiar territory.

slowmick

38-39"
Well you gave it one hell of a crack even after it all turned to shit early on. Hope things only get better from here. Maybe you'll become a frequent sailer?? with the spirit.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Well you gave it one hell of a crack even after it all turned to shit early on. Hope things only get better from here. Maybe you'll become a frequent sailer?? with the spirit.
Yeah, I got to have Derby as my main local which was nice while it lasted!

Got a Maydena Collective membership, so I'll definitely be back at some point when they're a bit more established. Actually drove through Maydena a few weekends back.

DEAD TOWN IS DEAD. Signage for Maydena is really poor as well, and the base just looks like an old school off the main road with a miniature carpark.

Very fucken weird, man.

They appear much more professional on their social media accounts.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
...bummer it didn't work out man. I still hold a little dream of living in the cold part of Australia. Maybe one day I'll give it a go. Did you have a crack at getting work in Hobart or Launceston? What tips do you have for the dreamers among us?

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
...bummer it didn't work out man. I still hold a little dream of living in the cold part of Australia. Maybe one day I'll give it a go. Did you have a crack at getting work in Hobart or Launceston? What tips do you have for the dreamers among us?
get a real job would be a good start!

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
I ended up in Launceston, as our fall back plan was to stay with a friend - which was the cheapest option for two people moving interstate with no work lined up. So the primary search was this area and surrounds up to an hour or so drive in any direction... however I also applied for plenty of jobs around and in Hobart with no success.

In 5 months I had three interviews.
I feel like half the state has my resumé, yet 99% of applications were never even looked at on Seek.

I'd suggest making sure you have a secure position lined up to walk into. It will make things 5000% easier... Just good luck getting there because many of the people here really seem to dislike outsiders.

I was frequently told that I'd get in at Statewide Independent Wholesalers with no problem.

Got an interview there, obliterated their written exam before the time was up, killed the physical examination, strength and lifting exercises... I have 11+ years experience in warehousing, along with manufacturing and process work / machine operation and a forklift licence.

Two weeks later I get a call and say I am unsuccessful because I don't meet their selection criteria.

Tasmania - Backwards Land.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
well played...don't get married, don't have kids
Could the best advice ever published on this forum.

Sounds like a big bit of hurt and deflation of fun times. You seem to have given it a red hot go. I probably have different expectations than yourself as far as life plan type stuff goes - would be wanting a semi-retired bike+fishing+food life style. Still it's a long way to go and not hit any goals!

What are international flights out of Tasmania like?

Flow-Rider

Burner
I'd suggest making sure you have a secure position lined up to walk into. It will make things 5000% easier... Just good luck getting there because many of the people here really seem to dislike outsiders..
Yep, this is my experience with the place also unfortunately, I knew what to expect because I've worked in a lot of country towns as an outsider. It just takes time to win over trust, you need to join in on the local activities to fit in, like drink till ya almost dead, smoke drugs and have sex with ya sister on any Sunday.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Yep, this is my experience with the place also unfortunately, I knew what to expect because I've worked in a lot of country towns as an outsider. It just takes time to win over trust, you need to join in on the local activities to fit in, like drink till ya almost dead, smoke drugs and have sex with ya sister on any Sunday.
Any Sunday or all Sundays? Asking for a friend...

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Yeah, I got to have Derby as my main local which was nice while it lasted!

Got a Maydena Collective membership, so I'll definitely be back at some point when they're a bit more established. Actually drove through Maydena a few weekends back.

DEAD TOWN IS DEAD. Signage for Maydena is really poor as well, and the base just looks like an old school off the main road with a miniature carpark.

Very fucken weird, man.

They appear much more professional on their social media accounts.
Makes me sad, the local shop has dropped nearly a $100K it's asking price with residence. I've got a pastry chef who could run it, but it's an hour from hobart,20mins is a long drive for them. Just wouldn't survive, especially with the park having its own food. I really hope it works, for Australia and for the locals.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Makes me sad, the local shop has dropped nearly a $100K it's asking price with residence. I've got a pastry chef who could run it, but it's an hour from hobart,20mins is a long drive for them. Just wouldn't survive, especially with the park having its own food. I really hope it works, for Australia and for the locals.
It's isolation is a challenge, I agree it doesn't present as much from the street, having said that if you have made the trip (in my case from Perth) then a nice sign on the street probably won't make that much difference. Agreed the online stuff is well done though. Did really enjoy the trails even though they were in the middle of weatherproofing and we missed out on plenty. With all the new ones opened it will be a great destination, hopefully enough people will make it there to keep everything going. Will take a while to get a heap of traction but not many comparable options in the Northern Hemisphere winter. You would think the Asian market is also a big incentive, not sure if they are into the MTB travel thing yet, some direct flights would help.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
It's isolation is a challenge, I agree it doesn't present as much from the street, having said that if you have made the trip (in my case from Perth) then a nice sign on the street probably won't make that much difference. Agreed the online stuff is well done though. Did really enjoy the trails even though they were in the middle of weatherproofing and we missed out on plenty. With all the new ones opened it will be a great destination, hopefully enough people will make it there to keep everything going. Will take a while to get a heap of traction but not many comparable options in the Northern Hemisphere winter. You would think the Asian market is also a big incentive, not sure if they are into the MTB travel thing yet, some direct flights would help.
In a way it kinda isn't isolated enough to make a rapid transformation into a destination. Because it's only an hour from Hobart plenty of people will just go there for the day to ride and head back for dinner and accommodation. Contrast this with Derby which is far enough from Launnie that it's easier to stay there post riding.