Moving to Vancouver - ocean freight?

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Im thinking of making the move to Van later this year, i lived there for a short period of 6 months while studying over there so I know what to expect mostly but I want to take a working holiday there this time for an extended period.

Basically Id like to get 3 bikes over there (DH, XC and roadie) as well as my ski gear. Whats my best method to get it all over there? I was thinking ocean freight would be the cheapest (time is no issue) but its hard to get a quote without going though a long process online.

Anyone know any good companies, rough cost or a better alternative?

Dougy

Likes Dirt
Give Nippon Express a call. These guys are all over the world and the Sydney office is very helpful. We're using them to ship our houseful of stuff to Japan

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Friend of mine just moved there, he didn't use see freight , but flew air Canada , who have fixed fees for a bike and also free ski gear as luggage

S.

ex offender
Friend of mine just moved there, he didn't use see freight , but flew air Canada , who have fixed fees for a bike and also free ski gear as luggage
Highly recommend doing this. It may seem expensive, but as someone who has actually shipped a whole lot of stuff from Aus to Van via sea freight, I would recommend avoiding that process if it can be at all avoided - it's expensive and dealing with any kind of Canadian bureaucracy is about as fun as duct taping yourself to a cactus and chasing a cheese wheel down a hill. If you only have a handful of bikes, just pay the excess baggage charges, or send it as unaccompanied baggage - it's cheaper and MUCH easier than the alternatives.

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Highly recommend doing this. It may seem expensive, but as someone who has actually shipped a whole lot of stuff from Aus to Van via sea freight, I would recommend avoiding that process if it can be at all avoided - it's expensive and dealing with any kind of Canadian bureaucracy is about as fun as duct taping yourself to a cactus and chasing a cheese wheel down a hill. If you only have a handful of bikes, just pay the excess baggage charges, or send it as unaccompanied baggage - it's cheaper and MUCH easier than the alternatives.
Yeah ive done that before in the past, i agree that it seems the biz. I guess its going to be easiest and cheapest option eh!!