Mt Alexander DH runs Closed

jakecycles

Likes Bikes
Bad News chaps, the " illegal DH " runs on Mt Alexander are now Officially Illegal
Our good friends in Khaki have released a media statement ( below ) and have promised a increased presence on the Mountain.

Please I urge those of you who ride the mount to stop doing so.

Parks are supportive of DH at Mt Tarrengower and wish to direct riders to those tracks at Maldon. Please read the media release attached

Continued use of Mt Alexander or cutting new tracks undermines the co-operative work done by the local mtb club and Parks Vic on trail development and implementation in our region.

If you have any questions call me at Castlemaine Cycles 54 705 868 or email us through the club website.
( Central Victorian Rockyriders...info@rockyriders.com.au)

Attachments

Last edited:

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
out of curiosity and without ever having ridden or seen the trails in questions

Ballantinia antipode, more commonly known as Southern Shepherds Purse, was thought to be extinct until it was rediscovered in the Park close to Castlemaine in 1983. The small annual native plant grows on moist moss mats attached to granite rock surfaces and can be identified by minuscule white flowers on its upper stems.
Thats pretty cool

However, some mountain bike riders in Mount Alexander Regional Park have been creating new trails down granite rock surfaces, destroying the rare and delicate plant.
Is there no way of avoiding the granite rock surfaces where the plant lives ??? or is it pretty much all granite slabs ?

On face value I would have thought that was an easy one for builders to work around ?? understanding you can't control all riders.

disclaimer: I'm picturing in my head big mutha rock slabs ... or is it more vegetated "carpet", covering rockslabs so walking trails will similarly, endanger the habitat ?

indica

Serial flasher
FFS ... they allow mining of the fucking granite - hypocrites.

See a granite slab "decorating" a garden near you (in Victoria) it's fucken Mt. Alexander .... unreal, I cannot understand how that is okay, but because we don't generate revenues for them the MTB is frowned upon.

L.P.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
FFS ... they allow mining of the fucking granite - hypocrites.

See a granite slab "decorating" a garden near you (in Victoria) it's fucken Mt. Alexander .... unreal, I cannot understand how that is okay, but because we don't generate revenues for them the MTB is frowned upon.
I agree.

I am always highly supportive of environmental concerns, but its highly hypocritcal that a 2km long 30cm wide trail use attracts a $55000 fine while nearly half of the park is leased for mining.

It just shows that environmental damage can be bought out for large sums of money.

jacko13

Likes Bikes and Dirt
was this a actual dh trail on the mountain or a walking track ?

Mountain bikers are urged to stick to the tracks to avoid destroying a rare plant that exists only in the Mount Alexander Regional Park or risk receiving a $55,000 fine.
thats not saying dont ride, its just saying ride the tracks only?

jazza_wil

Likes Dirt
I agree.

I am always highly supportive of environmental concerns, but its highly hypocritcal that a 2km long 30cm wide trail use attracts a $55000 fine while nearly half of the park is leased for mining.

It just shows that environmental damage can be bought out for large sums of money.
got to love Australia for major environmental concerns like mountain bikers creating massive 20cm trails over 2 kms or so in the middle of bum towns. such a hazard on native floria that a fine of $55000 is reasonable. don't worry about mass industrial pollution that destroys native habitats, floria and fauna all around the country every day or multimillion dollar investors 'buying' out hectares of land to set up shopping plazas that everyone needs out in the suburbs, or the fact that one of the biggest aluminium manufacturers in vic has been and still is wasting thousands of liters of fresh water per day through cracked piping they don't want to spend money on fixing because its cheaper in the short term not to......
FUCK YOU parks Victoria find your kick backs from somewhere else you corrupt dicks

Last edited:

Wisey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
got to love Australia for major environmental concerns like mountain bikers creating massive 20cm trails over 2 kms or so in the middle of bum towns. such a hazard on native floria that a fine of $55000 is reasonable. don't worry about mass industrial pollution that destroys native habitats, floria and fauna all around the country every day or multimillion dollar investors 'buying' out hectares of land to set up shopping plazas that everyone needs out in the suburbs, or the fact that one of the biggest aluminium manufacturers in vic has been and still is wasting thousands of liters of fresh water per day through cracked piping they don't want to spend money on fixing because its cheaper in the short term not to......
FUCK YOU parks Victoria find your kick backs from somewhere else you corrupt dicks
Yeeeeah, Jazza.....dicks!

jacko13

Likes Bikes and Dirt
as true as it is, and as stupid as it is. attitude like that is what makes it hard for mountain biking harder to expand. i agree with you completely, but the fu bit, really wont get us anywhere.

indica

Serial flasher
undermines the co-operative work done by the local mtb club and Parks Vic on trail development and implementation in our region.
Where is that? A pine forest - was that Parks Vic?
Or are you telling us YOU had something to do with Noel pushing through the Maldon tracks?

jacko13

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Jack,

Thanks for the e-mail. I would be more than happy to continue the discussions on mountain bike use at Mt Alexander with yourself or other interested users.

Parks Vic had requested meetings with Mountain Bike clubs over this issue, but we had little interest as the clubs we spoke to suggested they had little involvement as a club, and the majority of riders using Mt Alexander did it as individuals.

There is a downhill run at Mt Tarrengower, which Parks Vic encourages riders to use. The main issue with Mt Alexander is that the soil types are prone to erosion once they're disturbed by mountain bikes, and we have had experiences of riders disturbing moss beds which contain ballantinia.

I'm away for the next two days, but I will give you a call on Wednesday to discuss further, and maybe set up a meeting if appropriate.

Regards,

David Major

Ranger in Charge

Northern Goldfields
email i got from parks

forward

Likes Bikes
i hear that the track at mt alexander is insainly good ............. Parks can have maldon/tarrengower!!!!

dw4dh

Likes Dirt
i hear that the track at mt alexander is insainly good ............. Parks can have maldon/tarrengower!!!!
You better be joking i live in Maldon and love the tracks out here and have never even been to Mt Alexander as I've heard from everyone who has been there that they are terrible.

Jordan.

Likes Dirt
Just ride it anyway fuck em, they don't do shit. I always ride my motorbike with a group of mates from Mt Hebert to Mt Alexander, all Parks Vic do is skitz out and chase you and then your fine. Just don't get caught shuttling :p

samsty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just ride it anyway fuck em, they don't do shit. I always ride my motorbike with a group of mates from Mt Hebert to Mt Alexander, all Parks Vic do is skitz out and chase you and then your fine. Just don't get caught shuttling :p
I'm not trying to spoil the fun here... But that sort of attitude will seriously damage the chances of anyone actually ever getting the Parks people onside if in the future at some stage they actually tried to get official, approved trails on Parks Vic land.

As much as possible we want to keep those with the power (in this case Parks Vic) on side as much as we can and try not to get them hating mountain bikers all together.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
I'm not trying to spoil the fun here... But that sort of attitude will seriously damage the chances of anyone actually ever getting the Parks people onside if in the future at some stage they actually tried to get official, approved trails on Parks Vic land.

As much as possible we want to keep those with the power (in this case Parks Vic) on side as much as we can and try not to get them hating mountain bikers all together.
Agreed. As much as people have pointed out the hypocrisy of the situation, We don't need a worse reputation because of a select few. If Parks want us to ride at another location, lets build that location up to be something worthwhile!

jacko13

Likes Bikes and Dirt
im going to ask you not to do that, ill explain why underneath

thanks sam.
thats the attitude we want.

i spoke to the ranger today and me and my tmb clubs president are having a meeting with him in 2 weeks at mt alex to discuss building a LEGAL dh trail.

were negotiating with them at the moment but so far it sounds very positive. and were looking forward to working with them to build a really good trail up there. so im going to ask people to lay off the area for a while to maximise our chances as it doesnt take much for some people to stuff it up for everyone.

ill keep this thread updated.

Jack