Mt. Buffalo camping and riding.

JP

Likes Dirt
So we're heading to Mt. Buffalo over the Easter period and I'm looking for some info.

There will be 4 adults and 4 kids, ages 8 up to 14. We're looking at camping for a few nights and doing some riding. Is the Parks Lake Catani the only car campground around? And what are some good rides for the young 'uns to enjoy?

Thanks in advance.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
The whole Bright area is chockkers with people at Easter, every car coming in has bikes on the back. Theres a load of campgrounds down the Buckland Valley road but a few years back there were big crowds of what looked to be friends/families at each of them. We camped at the Big4 in Porepunkah and rode in the rail trail in to Bright for beer nearly every afternoon. Its a great place at Easter, we'll go back there at some stage.

Switch

huskier headed gent
On Buffalo Catani is the only car camp ground lots of options off mountain but Catani is a great spot. As far as riding on Buffalo you will be limited to the roads/fire trails. Parks are very strict on riding bikes on walking trails/single track. That being said riding down the big walk used to be great fun as long as you don't get caught, maybe not the best with your kids.

Last edited:

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
its a beautiful part of the world, nice loop around lake. not single track mtbing of course but plenty of tracks to explore.

I did the audax alpine classic this year and here's a pic as I sailed past.

mybufallo.jpg

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
Does anyone know if Rocky Creek Trk and Mt Mcleod Fire Trk are open to bicycles during winter? Both of the relevant camps are open for Alpine camping. I guess a phone call tomorrow.

Miguel75

Likes Dirt
So we're heading to Mt. Buffalo over the Easter period and I'm looking for some info.

There will be 4 adults and 4 kids, ages 8 up to 14. We're looking at camping for a few nights and doing some riding. Is the Parks Lake Catani the only car campground around? And what are some good rides for the young 'uns to enjoy?

Thanks in advance.
There's a ton of awesome (rock) climbing up at Buffalo though Bright will be your best bet for riding... The trail from Porepunkah to Bright is pretty cruisey for kids to do. My 8 year old complained like a small child but rode it pretty easily:)