Mt Buller - All you need to know

John U

MTB Precision
most importantly - how do the new bike go?
Was excellent Mick. Saved me a couple of times.
Felt quite a bit quicker than the Sunday. Was on the brakes more. Maybe just getting used to it. It has a fairly long wheelbase. That was noticeable on the tight bits at start of outlaw.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Just spent 4 days at Buller, then another couple over at Falls, rode everything at each resort.

Buller, I have been for 3-4 nights during each of the last 6 summers, and all bike buller festivals. Short answer is I wont be going back again, until the quality and effort matched Bright, falls, derby and most likely Maydena.

I don't give a shit about resort politics, but I have a older gentlemen I ride rail trails with who is good friends with the new CEO, word is nothing will change, especially not with the decent winter season they had. Go support Falls, Bright if local enough, those communities that are actively supporting and progressing MTB deserve our patronage.

Changes this summer - copperhead, a couple of new corner jumps in the lower tree section and one decent kicker in there, good fun, shame you have to ride on bermless marbles to get that far down, worst beginner / intermediate trail around, and worst flow trail built in recent years. Flowtown, you are worth all the pedally bits to get the the flow, which is awesome fun.

Abom, mixed bag for me, a few sections are improved, with better berms (mostly mid section: copperhead to show off corner), so you can hold speed better, no complaints there. A couple of new jumps, however someone on the retard spectrum designed and built them - or some 14 yr olds between 11pm and 4 am over a couple of nights, that is the (lack) quality of them. And since there is no funding there, they said fuck it free labour and kept them. If they run a 'enduro' style race down abom during bike buller this year (which I won't be at), there is going to be some head injuries and clavicles.

Why put two table top / doubles in the fastest section of track (bottom straight - second last time you cross the chair lift) that are kickers, very I'll suited location, you either slow right down, or boost them, clear them by 5+ bike lengths to flat, boost the first one, and good luck landing onto the second. There is also a jump the aims directly off track directly after an off camber tight section, and its on the high side (WTF...). A couple of table tops just before copperhead junction, corner before is blown out, yet again you need to wash you speed off too actually hit them properly. Jump in trees after copperhead junction, always been a find awkward jump, dumbed down now, I'd hit it in a shopping trolley for lols.

Overall, all the interesting things that required some skill and finesse have been dumbed down. The jump into treeline over roots.... no more roots, filled in all the other interesting bits, no more drop into the muddy spot in the final section... the list could go on.

I am not blaming the crew that work there, obviously on a shoe string budget, but amateur hour trail building is no longer good enough.

the XC / AM stuff, great as usually up their, would be great if I enjoyed a fuck ton of climbing.

teK--

Eats Squid
Well that's decided then... I was 50/50 about going back to Bike Buller after missing it last year for the first time in 5 years.

slowmick

38-39"
that's sad. i used to love riding the trails with the lift. so many more runs than with a shuttle. the loss of Andy's lodges made it really expensive to stay on my own. if the trails are getting worse each year it sounds like it's not worth the drive. :(

Mywifesirrational

Wonder if this will make a massive difference overall? It's not like the last couple of years have been even remotely busy for chairlift riding. It really appeared to taper down as Bright increased in presence dramatically (and broken bones). As a Melbourne local, am I going to drive to bright or buller for riding, hint it ain't buller? Or as an interstate peep, especially if flying is involved, Tasmania makes a whole lot of sense.

The AM/Trail/XC network up there still seems to get a decent amount of traffic, and deservedly so, as its really good quality stuff.

Weren't they advertising buller as Australia premier riding destination? lolwut

Not sure were I'll go this summer, thredbo (its been a few years) or maybe another trip to falls, and incorporate, beauty and bright into the mix, so much riding less than an hour apart drive time, with a shit load of accomadation options and shit for the family to do if they tag along.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
They never really seemed to put a lot of effort into Buller, which is a shame.

And now the lifts are basically not even running, there's a few I know that won't even go this year.

Mywifesirrational

From the blue dirt email, that anyone with a season past probably got, and might not have read.

MT BULLER

We will not be shuttling over the limited dates previously covered at Mt Buller. Resort Management have decided to go in a different direction with their gravity trails this year. This is effectively 8-9 operating dates over the entire season – which is more than covered by increased operations at all other locations.

Sounds like the chairlift management have decided on closing the gravity trails completely? As in they simple wont be open for 'legal' riding at anytime other the the race or bike buller festival?

Mywifesirrational

They might as well can bike Buller now....
Ahem, Australia's premier riding destination, and IMBA ride centre!

At least it looks like blue dirt have a lot more bright and falls days, which suits me completely, but the buller blow out early this year was a great little event, and the dinner provided was actually really nice.

padams10003

Likes Dirt
From the blue dirt email, that anyone with a season past probably got, and might not have read.

MT BULLER

We will not be shuttling over the limited dates previously covered at Mt Buller. Resort Management have decided to go in a different direction with their gravity trails this year. This is effectively 8-9 operating dates over the entire season – which is more than covered by increased operations at all other locations.

Sounds like the chairlift management have decided on closing the gravity trails completely? As in they simple wont be open for 'legal' riding at anytime other the the race or bike buller festival?
Looks like they are running their own shuttles through All Terrain Cycles.

From the Bike Buller website:

Dates: Saturdays & Sundays throughout the 2018-2019 season (every weekend from 1 December until 28 April 2019), every day from Boxing Day until 13 January 2019, all public holidays except Christmas Day - excludes Shimano Bike Buller Festival 9-11 March 2019.

Times: 9am - 4pm

Cost: 1 x day $65 per person, Seasons Pass, Family Pass and Under 12's Pass all available (prices TBA)

For bookings and further details, please contact All Terrain Cycles in Mansfield on (03) 5775 2724 or Mt Buller (03) 5777 6082 (weekends Nov-April) or email info@allterraincycles.com.au