Mt Buller - All you need to know

---Matt---

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The return is that you get to ride tracks that have been maintained or improved (if there is enough help there to do that which last year there wasn't). I sometimes struggle to get over the fact that people expect tracks to be delivered to them. Someone has to put the work in and when there are only a few people up there doing days of maintenance they are going to rely heavily on support from the riders.

If you do want the trails improved, go up there and make the suggestions and help fix the areas that you see. When you get up there, you do get an idea of how much work really gets put in each year. Having spoken to Sam and the guys up there last year, any changes that are to be done need to be approved after doing a wildlife evaluation. This costs money in itself and is one of the main reasons the tracks change so little.

dunndog

Eats Squid
All true mate, and I didn't mean to come off as negative as my last post may have come across.. wastrying to put an objective point across. Basically, if the chairlift will be running for january only, that suggests a lack of interest in a serious dh 'scene' at Buller. If this is the case, perceived or otherwise, why would anyone make the haul and put the sweat in to improve the trails if BCL isn't serious about supporting them? I get 3weeks off over xmas - mid jan, and 1 more week off sometime through the year. I hardly want to spend a week of that working on trails to earn a seasons pass that's valid for the month of january, in which I won't get to ride there anyway.. That's kinda my problem. If it was running till easter? completely different story.
And this is certainly in no way directed at the small crew of trail builders, god knows every mountain biker of any discipline appreciates the hard work that goes into the trails we ride. But as a whole, Buller as a summer destination for dh really needs to step up to the plate.

andy73

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've always been cautious about being too critical as I've never picked up a shovel and helped out at Buller. But I think the point is a simple one. I can go and dig anywhere knowing I'm building a trail I'll have access to until I'm no longer interested. Giving up a weekend to go dig on trails that I now get access to for four weekends, during a time of the year when there's a lot of other stuff on - not a chance.

Duff_Man

Likes Dirt
matt, no one expects to get tracks handed to them, i was heavily involved in the Buller program when it reopened all those years ago. Buller management has been telling the same story since the start. There is only so many build days you can be involved in before you get tired of no forward progress. Buller is not going forward in any way, the trails are the same as they have been for years and they keep on increasing the prices. Buller needs to invest more money or just forget about it!

Drummond

Likes Bikes
Buller schmuller

The people who run Buller have only to look to Whistler, for example, to see how much MONEY can be made from a ski resort in summer when decent DH tracks are built. How many non-Canadian riders go to Whistler? Hmm, you tell me. Is the problem at Buller a lack of interest and or will, or is it environmental issues, such as native grass etcetera? Anyway, a one month season on the same old shitty tracks sucks. Get the You Yangs track builders up there!

Duff_Man

Likes Dirt
The restrictions imposed on the construction of new tracks are largely due to environmental concerns. Yet Buller seems to be able to install a new chairlift every few years without too much trouble. The lack of tracks is one issue, but it just seems as if Mt Buller as a whole doesn’t want mountain bikes, the village isn’t very proactive when it comes to accommodating riders. If they are too narrow minded and fixated on only just the winter season then that is just too bad for them. It seems to me these days that it is just easier and more fun to travel to whistler for a few weeks.

dunndog

Eats Squid
There's not really much point comparing buller to Whistler, you can't really expect the trail crew to deposit 10 billion cubic tonnes of rock and dirt on top of buller and then build a mind boggling array of the sweetest trails and shit i've ever seen... on youtube.:(
But without asking for massive changes straight up, just showing interest in the future and taking steps towards that instead of what appears to be steps away from that would muster enough interest i'm sure to get more of us riders involved in the process. The number of people disappointed in the way things are heading would indicate the number of people who'd be stoked to see something positive happening, and it wouldn't take too many seasons of growth and improvement to cement Buller as a major destination to ride. The chair accessed runs is already a major major asset that almost noone else can offer, building around that key point could be huge. I've helped out a little at the you yangs over the past couple of years, and seen that place almost transformed by the hard work of passionate workers/riders who love riding there and feed off the positive nature and vision of the area's potential. Optimism and passion are powerful tools.

mirimbah

Likes Bikes
Ill still be up. Maybe not for the DH as it sounds like BSL are really trying to screw people but for the new XC trails and the shuttles from Buller and Stirling. Will you do off season uplifts for groups? If so whats the minimum amount of people to make it worth your while?
Sorry been a while since ive been about will do runs for groups most times out of or normal runs give us a call. We are running shuttles this weekend because people asked. so we are running sat, sun, monday.
The tracks are definetly not tidy but some work is starting over the next few weeks to start cleaning them up.
www.mirimbah.com.au

mirimbah

Likes Bikes
just spent over 3 hours walking down klingsbourne with a chainsaw, what a mess cleaned up 3/4 of the trail but much still to go . another day and it will be clear. and i hear a few more are heading down this week for more of a tidy up.

mirimbah

Likes Bikes
thanks to all who came up this weekend. over 50 riders for the weekend . amazing numbers seeing buller didnt even think mountain biking was a option this weekend. will definetly do cup weekend again

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Is Buller opening Boxing day this year? I know the season has been shorten, but I don't recall seeing anything about opening day!

Kizzmtbr

Likes Bikes and Dirt
thanks to all who came up this weekend. over 50 riders for the weekend . amazing numbers seeing buller didnt even think mountain biking was a option this weekend. will definetly do cup weekend again
Wasn't the volunteer work meant to be on the 21st of november??

Daisy69

Likes Bikes
hmm

ok so what are the dates mt bulla will have the chairlift operational ?you guys in victoria are lucky to have decent mtns, up here in qld we barely have hills.

Chucker1.0

Likes Bikes
A friend and i will be there from the 23rd till the 30th do to some voluenteer work.
Hope to see some of you there.