Mt Buller to Craigs Hut Return

spudmonkey32

Likes Dirt
Am looking to do this ride sometime in the next few weeks, via silk lane and stonefly - has anyone done this and have any tips. Is it a reasonable day ride or is that a bit optimistic.

cheers
Ian

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Yeah it's very doable. I rode stonefly last Friday. I'm not sure if we did silk road, but it does sound familiar. It was a little harder than I was expecting. As you would expect in the high country you are always climbing or descending and there are a few rocks.
I think a 5-6 inch trail bike would be a good choice for the area.

Benizmo

Likes Dirt
Its still a fair ride out from Stirling, with the main issue being you are quite isolated once your leave stirling esepically coming into this time of year, being in an alpine region with extremely variable weather

Its all steep 4WD tracks from Stirling onwards, for a component group of riders its a good half day ride there and back with a break at Craigs Hut

Wouldnt reccomend doing it with less than 3 people though due to being so isolated

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Is Craig's hut the one at the top of Stonefly? If so I rode from Mt Buller to there and back last weekend via Gang Gangs/Silk Lane/Stonefly/Corn Hill/Gang Gangs return track and it only took about 2.5 - 3 hours. The hardest part of the ride is the killer hill climb from Howqua gap up to the top of Corn Hill. If you were knackered by then you could bypass that and simply head back through the Silk Land fwd track to picnic table.

It's an awesome ride, one of the best I've done in Aus. Great technical climbs and brilliant downhill sections. Does require a bit of fitness and a reasonably light bike...

Tacky Monster

Likes Dirt
Is Craig's hut the one at the top of Stonefly? If so I rode from Mt Buller to there and back last weekend via Gang Gangs/Silk Lane/Stonefly/Corn Hill/Gang Gangs return track and it only took about 2.5 - 3 hours. The hardest part of the ride is the killer hill climb from Howqua gap up to the top of Corn Hill. If you were knackered by then you could bypass that and simply head back through the Silk Land fwd track to picnic table.

It's an awesome ride, one of the best I've done in Aus. Great technical climbs and brilliant downhill sections. Does require a bit of fitness and a reasonably light bike...
Craig's Hut (didn't it burn down?) is on the other side of Mt Stirling from the top of Stonefly, so still a fair way off... Yes the riding is brilliant, but quite strenuous!

Benizmo

Likes Dirt
The top of stonefly is bluff spur hut.

Craig's hut is another 15k or so return from the top of Stirling

They rebuilt a replica hut in the same spot

Last edited:

sidetrack

Likes Dirt
Craigs Hut is about 5 kms from Bluff Spur Hut which is the one at the top of Stonefly. Im not sure why you would lug a 5-6 inch bike through a great cross country ride like that.

Dazzo

Likes Dirt
Craigs Hut is about 5 kms from Bluff Spur Hut which is the one at the top of Stonefly. Im not sure why you would lug a 5-6 inch bike through a great cross country ride like that.
I rode my 29er anthem there back in Feb, perfect bike... Brilliant trails! When I arrived back at the bottom of stonefly, a youngish fella showed up, not quite sure where he was going, intending on riding stonefly on his 9er steel hardtail... Single speed! Good luck, thats a tough (but spectacular) grind.

We rode from Buller, down Gang Gangs, corn Hill and silk lane to arrive at Howqua gap, which is at the bottom of stonefly. Up stonefly and down again (massive smiles!!!). You finish stonefly back at Howqua gap where you can GRIND up corn hill back to Buller OR, from Howqua gap, you can go to your right following a dirt road. Follow it for a few Ks, mostly down but a few gently going up until you find a long gate at the entrance to a fireroad on your left. This takes you onto the delatite river trail. Enjoy about 10km of downhill with multiple river crossings to Mirimbah. Stop at the Cafe, grab a Joe and an awesome slow cooked lamb foccacia and take the shuttle back to the top of Mt Buller, which is run by the cafe every 2 hours! Perfect ride

djslow

Likes Bikes
Its still a fair ride out from Stirling, with the main issue being you are quite isolated once your leave stirling esepically coming into this time of year, being in an alpine region with extremely variable weather

Its all steep 4WD tracks from Stirling onwards, for a component group of riders its a good half day ride there and back with a break at Craigs Hut

Wouldnt reccomend doing it with less than 3 people though due to being so isolated
I second these comments. From the top of Stonefly you still have to climb up to the top of Stirling and then it is a solid ride to Craig's Hut with no food or water. There will likely be a few 4wd enthusiasts at Craig's Hut but there is still no water or food and you are a long way from help. As with much of Buller Mobile Phone coverage is patchy. The descents are fast, rough and strewn with loose rocks. The climbs are the same but much, much slower (everything you ride down you have to ride back up again).

It is a grand day out but go with a small group and take plenty of snacks, plenty of water and plan for a 6 hr round trip. It is only about 35km from Buller - Craig's Hut and back but it might be the slowest 35km you have ever done.

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
A few years back a friend & I road from Gippsland to Mt buller, using as many back roads as possible. The initial plan was to finish at Craigs Hut but we decided on Buller due to extreme heat and the fact we had never been to Craigs Hut before. We did this over 3days. Awesome experience. Would love to do it again. First day was about 110km to Woods point, 2nd day to Howqua was about 60km? but this took along time, heard of German Spur Track? 3rd day was Howqua to top of Mt Buller, about 60 - 70km. Certainly weren't overly fit at the time, it was sort of a spur of the moment thing. If you ever get the chance do a ride over a few days good fun.

Anyway its a little bit off topic, have a crack at Mt Buller to Craigs Hut. Sounds like an awesome ride.....but be prepared.

spudmonkey32

Likes Dirt
Thanks for all the information and advice - greatly appreciated. Just waiting to see if the weather will be kinder otherwise its going have to be delayed until spring/summer

redbruce

Eats Squid
Thanks for all the information and advice - greatly appreciated. Just waiting to see if the weather will be kinder otherwise its going have to be delayed until spring/summer
As pointed out earlier it is a fair ride and in an area that can turn nasty with little notice any time of year but particularly from now through to late spring (in fact snow/sleet predicted for the next few days with a top temp in the low single digits).

Being prepared involves carrying a fair bit of extra gear to mange the risk should the worst occur.

Sounds like a great summer ride though (longer daylight hours, weather more predictable and can get away with less extra gear).

spudmonkey32

Likes Dirt
Thanks for all the advice. We rode Buller-Stirling-Craigs Hut this weekend and were lucky with the weather/conditions. As people said its a huge ride with plenty of potential to do you or your bike a mischief. We avoided stonefly and went on the 4wd tracks to make up time/save energy/increase our chances of making it home in one piece. Just one note - the trail from Mt Stirling to Craigs Hut is no walk in the park (especially when you're tired), at this point we should have looked at the time and headed back to Buller (although neither of us wanted to miss Craigs Hut) but we pressed on and fortunately got back to Buller as it was getting dark.

Thanks again for all the advice, will definitely be heading back to the Buller/Stirling region in the Summer - its an incredible place!

Attachments